No Satellite Signal Received message on Sky box

I think that Sky on occasion may treat their customers badly.  I work for MGT which is a sub company for Sky, and to be honest with all you people who are having this problem, Sky don't care about you once they have your money.

they will then offer you a free service call

Just a small tip - if you are experiencing No Satellite Signal and you are out of warranty, just say to them that you want to cancel and you will be passed through to cancellations turnaround department where they will attempt to keep you as a Sky customer.  They will either offer you a half price service call (decline this) or they will then offer you a free service call.  Let them know that you are highly unhappy and suggest that you could maybe get half price TV for the next 3 months it'll work wonders for yourself.

Sky only have a writing department and take 28 days for a reply most of the time.  Sometimes they won't even bother to reply and if they do it'll be 3 months down the line!  Don't let Sky mess you about, just tell them you'll go to Telewest.  They don't want to lose you as a customer so it will have a profound effect.

A satellite dish mounted on a wall You will never get a Team Supervisor/Team Leader even though "we" as agents say that we'll go and ask them.  We just sit there and do nothing because they won't take over the call as they are not really allowed to by orders of BSkyB!

Discuss this on our forum below

If you do get an engineer out for free, he'll just come out and change your box as that's the easiest thing to do.  Make sure you get confirmation from the cancellations team that they'll check the following (Satellite Dish, LNB, Sky Box and cabling).

Normally all they will do is change the box which automatically means that your Sky will work for 10-15 minutes then they'll get you to sign the piece of paper then clear off. This of course means phone us back later to say that the engineer has not done his job!  You know why?  Sky doesn't have a clue how to fix YOUR problem.  They can only move the sat dish or replace stuff if that doesn't work then they'll just keep on trying.

Sky can be unprofessional at times and as contractors we are not allowed to tell customers how much the call-out actually costs.  We're not allowed to mention any deals etc. to the customers.  If I wanted to tell you say... how much a Sky HD box is I would have to transfer you through to Sky Sales, which is probably at least a 15 minute wait on the phone when I could have just told you.

I will try to pop back from time to time and update this site with information on how to do an LNB reset etc. That way you won't need to phone Sky!

By: Anonymous from Fife (Can't say more, otherwise will get sacked!)

anna conda

We had a "no satellite signal' message and after trying the usual stuff, switch off, unplug etc we phoned Sky. They informed us that the dish was at fault and booked an engineer for a week later. We were also coerced into taking out insurance to cover the repairs. The next day the Sky was working perfectly despite the weather being terrible and (touch wood) has been fine ever since. I maybe cynical but does this sound a bit odd? We did cancel the engineer and insurance but wonder can things be done remotely to make it seem as if your Sky is not working?
22nd Jan 16 11:01

Alan Hird

My Sky dish failed on Christmas Eve 2013. I was given a "set up" date two days later for 17 January 2014! I complained to Sky Protect who raised my case with Sky and I had the complaint upheld. However they could not budge sky on the "set up" date.

I wrote Sky Customer Services on 27 December and again on 2 January to complain about the long delay. I received a reply on 7 January asking me to call the 08442 number, which I did not do as I had spent nearly an hour on this line on 24 December trying to get Sky customer support (they charge you for this service!!).

I wrote a letter to Stephen van Rooyen, Managing Director, Sales and Marketing on 13 January but he did not respond. Worse was to come !! On 16 January I had a phone call from Sky to say they would not be coming on the 17th but the new "set up" date was 15 Feb! I wrote again to Stephen van Rooyen on 17 Jan but no response. Sky have a cavalier approach to their customers and appear not want to engage with them. I have again written to Sky Protect to complain about this latest Sky move.

Sky Broadband? NO WAY the re TV is bad enough!

Dolly

My sky went off on xmas eve and still no satellite signal being recieved, phoned sky on xmas day and had to wait till yesterday for a sky engineer to come out, i paid £65 for the call out and when he turned up he said he couldnt adjust my dish due to health and safety restrictions, i pay alot of money a month for sky tv and broadband!! And they couldnt care less!! I will be cancelling sky and finding a more reliable service, i would not recommend them to anyone!!

Tony

My sky signal goes off at 6pm every night but only on bbc, itv, cha4/5 etc.
This lasts till about 9pm stuttering on and off (all prime time programs)
However, all sky chans are perfect all the time. It seems very odd this only
Happens in the evening. Am I being paranoid

Gerald

That august organisation BSKYB has to be congratulated for the best excuse yet.

Our sky box started developing a fault earlier this week with some channels not being received. This became worse, so I rang their "help line" and spoke to a very helpful operator who guided me through the whole process of tracing the fault. This involved all the usual swopping of cables, re-booting, turning on and off, etc. Finally we traced it to a not "locked-on" problem with either the box or the receiver.

He suggested an engineers visit. When he consulted his computer, it told him that there was none assigned to our area. "Must be a computer problem" he said. "I will call you back when I have news for you."
"OK, thanks" I said.

This evening we lost all channels. My wife lost her cool. The children were fighting.
I was in the dog house. I rang sky again.

Another operator consulted her computer and then her adviser.

"We cant send a sky engineer because your receiver and dish are too high up"

I was speechless. I eventually collected myself to suggest that as their engineer had put it up there, perhaps he could come and fix it.

There followed a lengthy discussion but the organisation is not for moving. Health and safety will have us all gibbering wrecks.

So, beware, buy the damn box, pay the rip off subscription, but if it goes on the blink, TOUGH LUCK!!

Nick

leeanne:
What a bunch of cowboys did you hire to roughcast your house?
23rd Oct 13 10:10

Leslogistic

No satelite signal only bought my dish a few years ago Not with sky but dish seemed easiest option to go with excisting box of I could have got a digital area in the loft I would have but was more expensive and may not have got a good reception Sky Dishes just don't stand the snow wind rain Wish we had cable I'd go with virgin straight away !!! Even wondering if sky have messed around and turned it off to try to get me as a customer or to buy a freebies card to go in old box as I believe you now have to pay £25 !! I hate sky I will get hdv tv and digital arieal in loft next time if I possibly can
22nd Oct 13 01:10

leeanne

getting my house roughcasted and the builders moved my dish which caused my no signal message> called sky only to be told that the engineers will not be able to fix the problem as they cant go up ladders on to scaffolding. needless to say it cost a fortune to call not at all helpfull.

Mark

Just had a 20 minute conversation to Sky. Not interested in the slightest about my viewing issues or actually lack of viewing!!! Then realised something....their call centres are now in India! And there was me thinking that Sky was proud to be British ans supported the British economy!! How wrong i was. Very simple solution so after almost 3 years I cancelled on the spot. Anyway BT have a much better package coming out this Summer.

wendy

Yes, £65 to come for a rooftop. After taking your advice and threatening to leave- free of charge and a better deal. Many thanks!!

I believe that sky block the signal on my tv at certain times. The box has worked fine for years, yet it stopped working a few days before Christmas; the time when everyone wants their tvs. We called and refused to pay for a callout then a few days later the channels came back, and have worked fine ever since.

But now the same signal problem has occurred again, and coincidently sky rang the same day. Maybe some engineers in the area were having a slow week...

The box works fine in wind, snow, rain, but on a clear day I cannot get a normal signal.

olly79

omg mate thanks for this bskyb are really bad i had no sat signal i went threw all the rubbish they said they wanted pay out fee i got a box from my mate changed it over it worked for 15 min NO JOKE ! now what will i do ? please hwelp i have no cash to pay this so no tv whats so ever pure gutted

PeterRake

We left sky about two years ago. Still have dish but now just use freesat service. New foxsat box (approx. £200) already paid for itself. Do you really need sports channels when all you're really doing is paying for obscene wages to obscene footballers?

Stalag14

You will be waiting a long time matey; I used to live in a housing assoc. block of flats that were not cabled up, for tv or internet, although all the surrounding houses were.

This has occured at other HA flats where the HA authority has not granted permission for the cable company to encroach on their land for one reason or another, so depriving their residents of choice.

The cable companies do not "backtrack and fill in the gaps" so to speak.

Anyway who needs over-priced Sky when there is Freeview?

annoyed sky customer

I was with virgin for years(with no complaints),then when I moved I was told I couldn't get virgin in my block of flats,therefore I went with sky,i have the same package as I did with virgin but am paying double every month.I have had no signal in my bedroom tv for the past week or so and my plus box in my main tv wont record half of the time.Sky are totally rubbish,and as for someone saying you don't have to pay for it whilst its not working are bullshitting,because I do.The best they can do is knock a couple quid of your bill(which is so little its unnoticeable).I for one will be checking from time to time and when virgin comes to this flat I will certainly be switching back to them.

Bennie

By an extremely curious co-incidence the "no Satellite Signal" occurred on two consecutive
evenings at precisely 9pm last Saturday and Sunday (17/18Nov); what a surprise ! Prime
Time viewing. A call to Help line - pulling plugs and pushing switches produced no positive
results but "Ahha your box seems to be an old one; we can send an Engineer to fix the
problem". Well, that was Saturday, on Sunday it was straight TV screen adverts for a new
box. Of course, it is quite an incentive to keep the TV off and just buy DVD's and that will
be the outcome when one doesn't get the service one pays for.

sjxbsskznzajajxbd

Think about it this way... Say your with T-Mobile and your phone breaks and you don't have insurance then YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT TO BE FIXED OR BUY A NEW ONE! why should sky be any different? Sky should let all of you cancel, you probably won't be happy to hear that you pay extra on top of your monthly bill at virgin to rent the boxes.

Oi

Sky - Believe in Better. I expect most of the people on this thread now believe in better than Sky.

Graeme Edinburgh

I feel like I have just been mugged by Sky!

I called them 2 weeks ago to match their price against a Virgin offer I had received.

Sky offered a 25% reduction in monthly cost, plus a new HD box (mine was 10 years old). Not bad, I thought.

I called them today (2 weeks later) to take them up on the offer. At which point they decided to only offer a 20% reduction on monthly cost and no new box.

Talk about kicking your loyal customers in the teeth!

I am very angry. Sky have treated me so badly that I will do anything to not use their services ever again.

Sky - not to be trusted.

I have sky

Even the weather is good, still the message of "No Satellite signal is not been received". Few channels come clean but the others have this message for a long time and I miss programs. Whoever have written this article, does have a point.

andrea

i have found this sight very helpful and informative,thank you so much to the technician that use to work at sky

Sky is for muppets

"Sky TV dishes are crap"

"Sky TV is crap"

John

Sky TV dishes are crap. We have had about 5mm of snow tonight and there is no signal being received. Just indicates what rubbish Sky supply. These dishes should be able to cope with that amount of snow, or as they are powered from the box,then there should be an element of heat to keep the dish frost and snow free. As the dish is on the chimney there is no way we can free it ourselves. Contacting Skys equaly as crap customer services was about as useful as ringing up the Vatican for TV advise. If this weather continues we are going to be paying for a service that we are not getting.

This means that every time we get a little snow we get no TV, which is not good enouth. I appreciate that Sky is not responsible for the weather but they are for their TV equpment.
Oh well the answer is easy, we will just have to go back to Virgin.

Anon - cannot give details due to same reason as author

whilst i appreciate the sky employees sad attempt at trying to make out they do everything possible to help the customer i have to agree with the person from MGt, i was also working with MGt who is an outsource company for sky a few years ago and trust me as a floor walker i took over all calls when needed and as an outsource there were certain things we had to transfer to what was called 2nd tier technical if "we couldnt deal with it" but saying that it is not because we couldnt deal with the issues its because sky thought they were so much better at it and more often than not we decided not to even bother with sky an deal with the issues ourselves because of their incompetance and as far as training goes this is nothing to do with anything once u knew a couple procedures u could do anything so dont give me the rubbish that sky were better because they were better trained blah blah blah, the fact of the matter is sky do not care about their existing customers until they threaten to leave end of and as a sky customer myself i can varify this twice and the reason the contract was withdrawn from MGt is because sky couldnt cope with the fact that not only we were doing their job we were doing it 10 times better

Have had 'no signal' message on Sky Sports 401/402 since 27th Dec. Called Sky. I said needed 'roof team'. Engineer visits Jan 12th--- can't go on roof needs 'roof team'. I speak to engineer's manager who says 'must send out engineer to assess job first!!' So have to wait until today Thurs 19th Jan to book in next visit. Last night Engineer phones to say will arrive between 10am and 2pm. I say is it 'roof team'? No he is on his own but is qualified to work on roof????.
Is this just incompetence or one big Scam!!! I also wonder what sort of phone bill I have racked up waiting for next person to come to phone!!

Annio

Hi I am not a sky customer but they have put a sky dish right in front of my kitchen window obscuring the view ( I am on the second floor flat ) as the dish belongs to the first floor flat I was hopping mad ( my flat rented out so only just found this out ) there is a sky dish on ground floor flat opposite me so cannot see why it could not have been installed lower. Before I start the battle for it to be removed I would like some advice if you have any (should I go through sky or the management commity of our flats ) as they are a new block of flats this is 1st dish so far to be put on as extra reason being bedrooms have poor signal) we have main sky dishes on roof ) really appreciate your input if you can help before battle commences.

Oi

And we all "believe in better" don't we. As in "Believed that SKY was something better than others, but it wasn't - it turned out to be crap, what a sucker I am"

If everyone voted with their feet they would have to improve. Simples.

A Sky Employee

As a Sky technical advisor this article made me laugh. The reason we don't let out-sourced workers give out full information is because they aren't fully trained. I went through 4 months of training - the author did not.

Sky do not only have a writing department (and the writing department we do have contact customers within 72hrs). In a Sky in house call centre ask to speak to a manager and you will (or the advisor will get into trouble). The service you get from out-sourcers however, is shocking.

9 times out of 10 when I get a call with no satellite signal it can be fixed on the phone - because I'm properly trained. And if I feel someone deserves a free service call, or a reduced rate service call I give it to them. Chances are though, if you're paying £100per month just for TV, you can afford a £65 one off fee for an engineer. Free service calls are for pensioners who can barely afford the basic package as it is.

Oh, and the guy below who can't wait 7 days for an engineer? Read a book. Seriously, you can't live without TV for 7 days? You don't pay for it while you're waiting for it to be fixed, you know.
23rd Feb 11 01:02

Tash

Hi,
Thanks so much, we had this problem and followed your advice, we have a sky engineer coming out free of charge in 2 days!!! Saved us £65!!! Thank you!!!

RatedR

This annoys me big time.

When I pay for a service, the equipment should be included. I mean if a telephone pole blows over, BT need to ensure it is fixed to provide me with the service I am paying for.

I shouldnt have to pay, for thier design flaw. I mean, they could spend double on dishes, with hardcore brackets which simply wont move in the wind.... but they choose not to knowing that when it does break... ill pay for it.

Again and again.

Ill be leavin thats for sure, TV is ok, but im not desperate and im not a mug.

GreenDragon

I have been unable to view SKY for almost 2 weeks. Despite contacting them and going through the reset, reboot still have no picture. All they could do was offer me an insurance policy which would cover the call out charge (£65) but I would be paying £8.00 per month!
The comments stated are very interesting particularly the last one. I live in the IOM and unlike UK residents we dont have any access to the other packages offered by SKY e.g Broadband. . The good thing is after reading this forum (especially the last visitors comments) I have made a decision and I now intend to cancel my subscription (£72 per month). Does anyone have Rupert Murdoch's contact details? I suggest we contact him and let him know what a poor service he is head of.

predator438

lets all ignore sky why do we watch it movies for instance the same one is on two channels and if they are not at least 5 to 10 years old what a load of rubbish

cathy23

hi can you please help snow fell off my roof and moved my sky dish and now the sky tv is saying no signal please turn off and on and retry but it still saying no single can anyone help

James

Hi can you help.. I've been replacing gutters on my customers house. I have moved the sky dish on the swivel pole, then turned it back. The sky tv is saying "no signal please to turn off and on at mains then retry". Still not working i've checked the signal strenth and there is none. Any Ideas?

TVlover

oh my god this worked a treat THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

CarlW

I've had sky+ hd for under a year and already have had to run a system reset loosing all saved progs and now its gone off altogether with no signal. I called sky and was put through to a young indian kid whos broken english only served to anger me more as I struggled to navigate his sentences and understand his advice as best I could, the end result being "i'll get an engineer out to you.let me see when we have one available" I wait eagerly for some good news and he comes back with "ok he can get to you on the 30th".This is unacceptable as it was the 23rd!!!!. The guy then tells me he will call me back to see if he can do it earlier and guess what?,he doesn't bother so I guess i'm stuck waiting a week for a service that is substandard to say the least.I can't say I remember in my contract or at the time of signing being made aware of all the problems these boxes seem too suffer or the lack of service actually given to paying cutomers.

ChrisB

Hello. I have had no signal from sky this week! The first time lasted 2 days which started Monday about 3pm and that was it till Wednesday when it came back on at about 3pm! All was ok and then it went off again Thursday evening at 8pm. It came back on today(Friday) during the morning some time. Of course we phoned but you just get sick of hanging on for hours! It has to be Sky's fault but I know that they like you phoning the 08 & 09 numbers because its more money in their pocket. My main problem is without Sky ordinary TV is just the pits! ChrisB xx

cherub

I understand exactly what you mean - I am having the problem 'no satellite signal...' and the answer is it is either the dish, wires or box. I must be privileged, as when I unplug and try to get the very specific channel I am trying to get to work with sky +, it miraculously works but none of the others do. Sounds to me there is a fairy in the sky servers that knows when a user does this and makes sure it works. I reckon their set up cannot cope with demand so they 'switch off' service - maybe they need better satellites as current are clapped out...

Stu

Hello, can anyone help? My Samsung Tv was connected to sky which I could recieve on the ext source. I unplugged my Tv and disconnected all leads from the Tv with the anticipation of replacing it with another Tv which unfortunately did not arrive. When I connected all leads back to my Samsung all I got was no signal as if it was suggesting that nothing was inserted into the scart socket. However when I switch the sky on it does automatically go to this souce so is obviously picking up something but no sky picture

jonty

A few months ago I started getting "No satellite signal" messages on several premium channels. I tried the LNB reset, but to no avail. Sky offered to send an engineer but only if I paid for the call-out. When I pointed out that I had been premium customer for several years, paying over £65 per month, so should not have to pay, they were not interested. I said that if they would not fix the problem for free I would cancel my premium package. They were still not interested, so I cancelled, and now have a basic package.. Sky made no attempt to change my mind, so they are losing £45 per month, ie much more than it would cost them to fix my problem.

squirrel

I moved house a year ago with sky and recieved no satellite signal at the new place. They charged me £65 for an engineer to come and fit it. I move house again 6 months ago and the same problem happened, they charged me another £65. Believe or not I moved house yet again yesterday and I am recieving no satellite signal.
I am a very unsatisfied customer with sky, I think there services are aweful and the company will do everything in its power to get the most money out of you. I am going to try your method and cancel my subscription with sky and see if they can offer me anything. thank you
1st Sep 10 12:09

mb

as a sky engineer I would like to say that when I attend a service call I will ensure that every thing is checked or changed on the system its not only in my customers interest but also in my interest we are not all cowboys or incompatant at our jobs you will always get those that want to have a stab at people /business

Selina

Hi I wondered if I could have some help with regards to my sky plus HD box it keeps saying no signal being recieved when I unplug it and check all the wires still no signal ... So I then switch it off for a few days and it worked again for about 2days then off again ... When it does work the recording isnt working although it does pause when you are watching a programme... I have been on the setting and its full strength on input 1 but nothing at all on input 2 also input 2 isnt locked is this the problem ?

steve

tv not working just went off it said wait and we are still waiting

Pam

Hi, I have had sky for just over a year now and it was all fine, we just moved house and the engineer could not get a signal so I cant have sky now so we have cancelled but I want to watch my recorded programmes but sky say there is no way of doing this! can you help me please????

james

just reset the LNB on my sky+ picture came back straight away ,i have had no satelite signal recieved most days for weeks, hopefully this has fixed my sky box if not its easier than restarting the box
21st Jul 10 08:07

Greygoose1

I have had SKY HDTV for just two months now and I keep getting ' No satellite signal '. I have been onto sky by phone and the guy got me to check the wires in the back of the SKY. Both of which were OK. But still no signal from Sky satellite! I looked up on the internet and read the experiences of other subscribers. Last year in 2009 I had a experience with my Sky broadband.
I got onto Sky for three weeks and got the usual blather but nothing was done.
In the end I cancelled my subscription and went to O2 who sent in a BT engineer who found a loose connection in their terminal box fixed it and my broadband was OK.
With SKY HDTV I have sent them a letter by snail mail pointing out that it is only two months since they installed SKY HDTV and the No satellite signal problem.
I have been advised by Consumer Direct that under the Sale of Goods and Services Act the supplier has by law to provide a service fit for purpose and that I want an engineer to fix the problem. Also I intend to consult Which? as to the problem and the service level.
Perhaps if other disatisfied subscribers approached SKY in a similiar manner they may get their act together. Because all they give subscribers is blather on the phone but no service on the SKY box or broadband.

woooooooow

not all sky engineerw are that unproffesional, and there is no company in the market that has no complaints... We all human beings, we all pay money and want to get the best for it. But people, we all make mistakes... which sooner or later gets solved. if we would run our own business, we would see things differently

and as for a callouts... whoever provides services ( mean sky or some warranty company) it's in their interest to fix system from the first time as it's costing money to send an engineer.
no wonder the person who wrote it just works in sky call centre... this is where carreer ends... :)

Brian James

I'm a engineer for Sky not a sub contractor and I make sure my customer is happy from the time I walk through the door until the job is finished and working fully. As a Sky Engineer I have vast responsibility to my self, my team and the company and I make sure my job is done correctly with full health and safety in mind and the needs of the customer.

For someone to say in print that Sky do not care is a joke where I fully know its false and incorrect. Sky are close to 10 million customers and do you think a company of this size would be where it is today if they treated customers like this, no.

Please refrain from writing pure rubbish as I and other quality engineers work hard to provide Sky customers a quality service from say one.

Regards

Skyman

You must be having a laugh sky engineers check the FULL system don't just do a box swap
and as for sub contractors don't get me started
23rd Jun 10 09:06

unners

I can get most channels on Sky, but on one channel it comes up that no satellite signal is being received, I have been on to Sky and they have boosted whatever that means, my signal, but I still cant get the channel, they say they cant do anymore? is it sky, the dish or the channel who are at fault??? I dont know where to turn next??

dusty

my problemn with my sky systmn is since I purchased sky plus problemns have started . everything works fine on the av systmn but if I switch over to the antenna systmn its no signal I run a ariel cable from the box to the ariel into the tv in the kitchen but everthings fuzzy inever had any problemns with this systmn in the past I have had sky for 15 years even the digibox is capoot ihave only had this problemn since a new sky dish was fitted in february because my sky plus was failing to record sky have told me to pay 65 ponds or get my own engineer in is there asimple answer to this

lf

thank you soo much. you are doing such a great job! I have been badly treated by Sky and it is easy to tell they just care about how to get your money, not about service at all!!

Rider of the Apocalypse

anon TA - You cant work for Sky, your English is too legible...sorry but you been caught out :-)

anon TA

I think whoever wrote this is a complete idiot, I work for sky in the turnaround dept and the fact that you can say these things that sky doesnt care about customers is a disgrace. As for saying about getting half price sky tv if you knew anything about your job which u clearly dont you would know that we cannot do this offer and its people like you who spread rumors about "aw just tell them you want to cancel so they will give you X offer" that make sky out to be a charity! I think considering sky gave you a good steady job and pay your wage every month you wouldnt go around spreading lies and scaring away their customers, lets face it you do that you dont have a job! Bottom line is Sky do care about their customers and in turnaround we go all out to ensure the customer has the best possible service. I would never have a customer go off the phone feeling unsatisfied with the information or service I have provided, thats not only makes sky out to be not training staff but also I look like an uncaring clown. I cannot believe you would say those things about your own employer on the internet. Many people dont have jobs and try everything in their power to get one and here you are telling skys paying customers a lot of rubbish! Here is some advice to you...learn your job, go back into training and understand that all of skys customers pay good hard earned money to be able to have the service and anytime a customer needs help the proper sky team will do anything they can to help. Maybe you sit around while lying to customers about getting a manager but I dont and I refuse to be tarred with the same brush as you.

Little Miss Helpful (I hope)

I have had problems with my sky hd thomson box - and I told the sky people I would cancel my subscription yesterday and they weren't bothered. Searched a freephone number and rang them again today and was sent signals to refresh everything which should work otherwise they also told me how to do a SYSTEM RESET instead of getting an engineer to do it at a £65 call out charge.. so if anyone is having the following problems you might want to try it out...

Problems: Sky box freezing, no satalite signal being received on some chanels, part recording some programs, box switching itself off and taking "a day and an age" to switch back on... and the menu is so slow to trawl through ...

Resolve:

As of - 17/03/10

0800 466432

first ring sky – they send new signals to sky box including one to re-pair the sky viewing card to the hd box – told to wait 2 - 24hrs without switching off at the wall and can view tv as normal and leave sky box on standby using remote to turnoff only when not in use.

If this fails after 24hrs try.... (THIS WILL DELETE ALL SAVED ITEMS ON THE HARD DRIVE)

press - (on sky remote) Services
Then scroll 1 to the right & select Setting (Spanner)
Then press 001 select
Then choose system reset
This will defrag (planner rebuild / housekeeping) your box and hopefully solve all problems

Spoke to Bernadette – very helpful.

if this all fails... call sky back and explain and take it from there.

Stinky Minky

Goog Man,

If everyone had the balls to explain things like this there would be no recession.

Best wishes

A real Services Engineer

You are obviously a brown nose sky employee - say no more

sky rip off's

message to "we love sky"

oh you are such a nob!

A real Services Engineer

Well - surprise surprise, just a couple of hours aftr posting the previous blogg, the engineer called to confirm the appointment for tomorrow (Saturday) and when asked to confirm if he was part of a two man specialist height team, he was also surprised to hear it was a height callout as his job instructions only specified a fault callout. He was kind enough to call sky back and point out their total mess up once again. A sky representative call back and has once agian promised to move heaven and earth but could only book an appointment for next week Wednessday. So once again the saga continues, lets see where we end up - it might still end up much quicker actually moving over to Virgin but let's see if sky is actually interested in fixing the problem or stealing from me for another month.....................................

A real Services Engineer

I have personally experienced this run around. I am awaiting the fifth engineer visit in nearly as many months as the third and fourth visit was supposed to be a two man team. The fourth arrived at the door smiling and stating that they they had arrived to install my new sky installation. The smiles dropped when I stated it was a repair and not a new install......they promptly cut the ends of the cabling and replaced the connectors. The installer then said there would be no further issues, left his mobile number ''just in case'' and left.
A hour later sky dropped and a blue scrren appeared. After four futile attempts at calling the installer back my wife called up sky, who once again could apologised and rescheduled for a ''specialised two man team'' to be sent out in a couple of days, My wife was advised ''not to worry as this was only the day after tomorrow.''
The saga continues, I should have cancelled on day one but let's see where we go from here.......
And by the way - I am a service Engineer who actually takes pride in my work - and no not a sky engineer.
I must add thanks for the real sky Engineers out there doing the good work - just a pity I have not met one yet.

the till guy

well done for shopping them
i too am an engineer - my company was service oriented for 25 years - it was then taken over by a pair of poison dwarfs whose sole goal was to line their pockets at the expense of loyal customers - anyone standing up to them had their lives made a misery.
31st Jan 10 05:01

We Love Sky

ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING !!!!
Listen, this is a severe breach of contract, not to mention a blatant lie !
I worked for Sky for two years, and never have I ever heard any of my employers tell us 'it is against our policy to let a supervisor/team manager take over a call' or 'never inform the customer of service costs/deals/box prices', this is absolute nonsense .
When I worked there, we were openly advised to inform the customer of all offers and sales options that are available to them .
For God's sake, I remember my calls being monitored week after week, and losing points on feedback for (and I quote) "not informer the customer of the options available" when I unfortunately could not fix the box (subsequently turned out that her husband had severed the cabling in some malicious act of vengeance, crazy I know?) !
So, to 'Anonymous From Fife (Can't say anymore, otherwise I'll be sacked)', stop peddling your s**t against a company who pays your wages, if I were you, I'd be grateful !!

ANON

I can't wait for some competition to Sky where I live - I would be off like a flash if I could get to watch Rugby elsewhere - that's all I want to watch! it is coming. The HD is OK - but nowhere near as good as a DVD/Blueray. maybe I shouldn't have expected HI definition - just HIGHER than it normally is. Standard service (non HD) should be as good as Freeview?

Hate to moan - but had a new HD box installed recently. that works, but my multi-room set-up doesn't. Guess what - they now try telling me that since SKY didn't install it (was through SKY) although worked before, not theior problem! Hmmm - what a clever business - but competition is coming and I will be off for sure...

the dark knight

top man just rang in done the job get thanks top banana
1st Jan 10 02:01

L, Leeds

Just had the exact phone call you described, it worked a treat thank you

William H

I've just spoken to cancellations who are giving me an upgrade the sky + for the same amount as a call out charge. Many thanks for your advice.
It all started with the same problem of no signal.
1st Dec 09 10:12

K

I have had problems with my sky plus boxs for a month now. I get some channels but not many. Keep getting loads of messages e.g no signal, problem with channel etc. I have phoned up sky so many times, but I keep getting the same thing. "we get someone to come and have a look it" thats good. Then when there get to the bit asking when is it possible to come round. I pick a date great, but then there say something wrong with the computer, can't do it right now, we will call you when we can come out great. Couple days later haven;t heard a thing, so I phoned up again and again and again. Same old same. So at the mo I have one sky box that its not working, a high phone bill. Sky services very poor

H-is-annoyed

I had sky installed - I went for a package with tv, internet, talk talk and phone line. I received a faulty box and no other services. After lots and lots of calls to sky (over £100 of mobile calls due to not getting the phone line but being told on numerous occasions to wait 'up to 10 days') they say that there is no record of my order of phone, internet etc and I have to wait 2 weeks for a sky engineer to come out. Also that the only way to get phone etc is now to cancel my subscription by writing a letter and posting it to them so they can get someone to "de-install" everything. Then wait another two weeks for someone to "install" again and so the phoneline can then be set up 10 days after that!! and they are really mean on the phone. Also often put me on hold for "just a second" which ends up being 15 minutes followed by a disconnection tone-- just because they are confused.
I live in a town centre - surely an engineer could travel there in under 2 weeks with modern advances in transport?

Anom

I do not think this is a fair accuration of how sky teats their customers. obviosuly there is the odd occasion when a customer will get through to an unhelpful agent but that is true of any call centre. I work for sky and I know that sky care 100 % about keeping their customers happy and to say that if they contact the customer relations department, (the complaints team) and they take 3 months is total rubbish. When this team is contacted customers get a callback withn 72 hrs. so stop disiing sky and understand that with every compant they ahve procedures which they must follow

Mr C

I've been a Sky customer since it began way back when and it's true, if you are having problems just rant and rave about leaving them and they will eventually give you most things for free. I've got the 'no signal' problem with my HD box and I've just spent 15 mins on the phone about this. The first, and only, thing they did was get me to reset the LNB - guess what - it didn't work. I knew it wouldn't before they asked me because I'd already done it. I then got passed to someone else who didn't have a clue why the call had been transferred to him. Must admit he was very helpful, but passed me back to technical support - who then got me to simply reboot the box. They wouldn't, or most likely couldn't, do any other checks - nothing at all - they didn't even get me to check the signal strength which was at 95% with a quality of 100%. Anyway, they then said it would need an engineer, but because I hadn't bought the box through them I would have to pay and I would have to get the 3rd party engineer myself. I explained to them that it was in fact Sky themselves who had installed the box I had problems with, because around march there was a problem with a batch of boxes and they replaced mine free of charge. I had an argument with them as they said I would have to go back to where I bought it from, eventually got it through them that it was their box which was under their warranty. Anyway upshot is they admitted it was their engineer and that the warranty was with them, and it was from March - so an engineer is coming out. I'm expecting them to simply replace the box again. Not sure if others are experiencing this - but since the new menu system has been pushed down onto the HD boxes I've had loads of problems of hanging channels, not being able to get the reminders off the screen, losing signal because it is recording something I hadn't set. Apparently even though this is BETA we are stuck with it and they will not put you back onto the old menu system.
1st Nov 09 05:11

diane

I agree they are just a money grabbing company who do not deserve the business. If it wasnt for the sport that my family want to watch I would cancel. if you ever have a problem you speak to loads of people who never can help. my skyplus box kept freezing so I phoned for advise as felt sure it was my box as it was old- they told me to buy a new one on the high street!!thank you sky. I did this and guess what no signal being received is on constantly so I have wasted 143.00. no recordings ever happen because it constantly fails. I want to swap to bt vision but have been told they are rubbish also. After reading these comments though I think I will cancel and just watch free digital channels sky do not deserve the business they are so unhelpful.

Wendy, Haslemere

After being pestered recently with many phone calls from Sky about renewing my warranty for parts and labour (I did not know I had one!) I declined and lo and behold my Sky now does not work - "No satellite signal is being received" - and if I want an engineer to come out it will cost me a basic of £65. This I also declined and tried to cancel Sky - I was told this takes a months notice! and I was told I had to keep holding on for 5 minutes as the cancellation line was busy so I opted to try later. Frankly they appear to being a money grabbing organisation with little care for their customers. If they think I am paying them another penny they are very much mistaken. I am going to cancel the direct debit to Sky tomorrow - a month's notice - pah!!

blonde -brunette

I worked for sky aswell and to be honest they sere more concerned with average handling time and following the script which was RIDICULOUS -there was a checklist of about 40 things you had to ask the customer. They do not care about their staff or customers as we are expendable to them. It is most definiately ridiculous of the amount to be paid for n out of warranty service call. I remember the abuse that was shouted down the phone on many occasion when I had to tell these customers that they had to pay 65 quid. I am with virgin 4 years and I don't have to pay anything for a service call!!

rob

I have an old sky dish its 10 years old will it work with freesat

mickey

I transferred from Virgin to Sky+ at the end of May. I have found the functionality of it very poor compared to virgin and the Tivo we previously had. My cooling off period ended on 30 June I decided on 29 June after several phone calls complaining about it to cancel. When I phoned up they would not accept cancellation over the phone and said it was too late to write in! I gave up and accepted I would have to keep for 12 months until these constant problems with not receiving a signal when I decided to write a letter detailing the problems and confirming I wanted to cancel - I got a computer generated letter which said nothing other than giving me a number to ring after the 12 month contract was up. After phoning again and all call centre staff saying they cant help (I need to speak to back office staff who dont have a phone number!!) I've written a 3 page letter of complaint sent by special delivery asking them to respond by Thurs and if they dont I will take that as confirmation of cancellation without any penalties and will cancel direct debit.
Has anyone else had similar problems?? I cant believe a company can actually treat its customers like this. I've had some pretty awful customer service experiences but this one is by far the worst!

pod

I had the "satellite signal not being received"...could not watch any programmes at all on my sky+ box...but found that if I pressed record the programmes that I wanted to watch...then went back into planner then select the programme that I just pressed record on..i could watch no problem...
So while you are waiting for engineer to come and replace box...do this..
I am on my 3rd sky+box...all hard drive problems...will definitely not pay for an engineer..will try the "will leave sky option"...and just might do it this time....What a useless company
23rd Jul 09 04:07

pam

has anybody got an email address for sky, I thought I would subscribe to sky,they sent me a letter to tell me that they would be installing it on the 27th june,waited untill 5 so I decided to phone them,they told me they had cancelled it but they still took my money.they refunded 30 but have havent refunded the rest they are arsholes can anyone help
3rd Jul 09 03:07

bob the builder

don't settle for this crap cancel sky and watch something else, even if they offer you deals, it's not worth the hassel, they're rubbish.
2nd Jul 09 10:07

CSIFanatic

We too have been having problems with "no signal being recieved". Phoned sky and they instructed me to do an LNB reset. that didn't work
An engineer was arranged... for a week later..... 8 days without any working sky TV.
We phoned again to reconfigure our sky viewing card to a spare box so we could view some TV.... only be told that our sky viewing card had been disabled some time before christmas.
An email was sent that evening, only to be told the following day that the email address was wrong.
Today while out shopping I spoke to a sky sales person who said that if I bought sky today it wold be installed in approximately 2-3 working days.... he couldn't answer me when I asked why it took 8 days to see an existing box.... he didn't even seem that he wanted to be there honestly.
We are now trying going down the cancellation route to see if they can come out quicker as no one has offered us a refund for the week we will be without sky or the hours spent on the phone to them!
3rd Jun 09 06:06

cheekychops

I had the no sattellite signal and when we phoned up sky they said that the dish was needing realigned cos they had added x amount of channels! this was costing me 65 quid!! Why should I pay to get my dish fixed when its them whos adding the channels on????
My partner works for sky customer service and to be honest.. if you tell them your cancelling they'll do pretty much anything to keep you as a customer.

On a plus note I had sky+hd installed and I love it!!! so much better than the sky+ with double the recording time. If you persevere, you can get a sky+hd box cheaper than a sky+ box with free install.

DrGoats

Cheers for this....I'm having a nightmare and so are ma\ny of my friends with this no signal nonsense.

DrGoats

Daz P

I used the "I want to cancel my subscription" when my Sky+ box broke and I had stopped paying the warranty (mug). Sky swapped my Sky+ box with a 160gb one for free.

I have had the "No satelite signal is being received" on a few channels for about 2 months, but I was not bothered about the channels, until more disappeared today.
I phoned Sky and told them about the problem and I went though the System Health Check and was offered the £65 one off service call and the 12 month warranty @ £10.99 pm.
So I tried it again, I want to cancel and go to Virgin as I have the cables already (had Telewest in 2002) and it worked. The Sky engineer will be out this Sun to check ALL the equipment. It must be the dish or LNB because I get the same message on the Sky box upstairs.
I thank you for encouraging me to call Sky again.
31st Mar 09 09:03

Non-resident

I live in Spain and - having cancelled my subscription just under a year ago - have Sky free-to-air and BBC etc. It has mostly worked fine since then, although I do occasionally get the "no signal being received" message. I have however just been away for a few weeks and now find that I have the "no signal" message displayed permanently. I can get nothing at all (other than Spanish television, that is). I have unplugged, plugged back in, removed old Sky card, put it back in etc etc all to no avail. I've checked for branches blocking the dish (none) etc. But still nothing. Any suggestions?

Rachel

So glad I found this site! Ive been without my Sky+ for 2 days now and was so fed up of seeing "No satellite signal is being received". Phoned Sky and they said I'd be charged £65 for an engineer, I told them I couldn't afford it as I'm a single parent so could they please cancel my subscription. Was then offered half price call out, I thanked them but said I didn't have any spare cash........ Hey presto! We will send you an engineer out tomorrow for no cost!! So thank you for posting this information.

Scottie Dawg Elgin

The ghost in my Sky+ box

EEK! my sky + box is haunted. Was sitting in my house last night watching Most Haunted when my box started to rewind the programe I was watching. I thought to myself thats odd as the remote was sitting on the coffee table some 7ft away. I went over to stop it and when I had pressed the button low and behold the box switched off. On powering the box back on guess what? Perfect reception on all channels bar Living T.V. which decided to switch off early(in my house anyway)with a no signal being received. After resetting the box several times there was still no signal. Phoned Sky today and an engineers visit is booked for Monday. The weather outside is heavy with snow but guess what? all my channels are working(including Living T.V.) IS THIS A HAUNTING? OR IS SKY+ NOT ALL ITS CRACKED UP TO BE?

plij

We cancelled Sky at the end of November (letter sent by recorded delivery so they couldn't deny having received it!). At the end of December Sky programmes were removed as requested. We bought a new TV that was digital ready and were able to view all the Freeview programmes until yesterday when all that came up was "No signal available" and a trailer from Sky telling us how to reconnect to them!
This sounded very fishy so tried to ring Sky - after 3 attempts of trying to get through to a human being and wasting over an hour of time and several pounds on their 0870 number I looked for another number on the "Say no to 0870" site. I found 01506 677005 and got through to a human voice straight away and then an engineer who did not seem at all surprised by our problem. After a couple of adjustments at his end the picture returned!
Has anyone else had a similar experience after cancelling Sky? I can't help wondering whether this was a dirty trick to panic us into returning to Sky
22nd Jan 09 01:01

bunnyblondi

I am receiving no signal is being received I called sky they havent asked for any money as yet and engineer is coming weekend will I have to pay him when he comes ? thanks

HELENA

Thanks so much for this information. very helpful and honest. I also had a problem with sky, and said I wanted to cancell,as I was getting a better package with virgin. Low and behold, I was given an even better deal with Sky, and free movies for 6mths. Wish there were more people like you who GENUINELY care about people.

Keith

Problems with sky plus box Rang customer service and it took 10 days for an engineer to come. He came last Friday. Same problem arose again so I called yesterday. After another 20 minute call they promised to send an engineer the SAME day. I waited in NO ENGINEER turned up. Rang again this morning went through the whole story again EVENTUALLY got a manager went through the story again. Was then directed to another department who promised to send an engineer but could I hang on whilst she called them. I did then and she got back to me saying she couldnt get hold of an engineer so could I call back AGAIN. I refused to do this saying this would be the third time and another 20 minute call would she please call me back. She replied she needed special dispensation to call me. I still insisted that she call me back. I am STILL waiting. If I dont hear today I will cancel my subscription

Red Col

Oh, forgot to mention, the BBC regional channels work, as does UK Gold +1 and Dave +1, so many may think that my problem is not worth worrying about, but when you`re paying over fifty quid a month you expect things to work!!
Gripe over, for now!!
Sensible replies and suggestions would be greatfully welcomed.
1st Oct 08 06:10

Red Col

Firstly,the problems that I encounter...certain channels, but always the same ones, namely BBC1, ITV1, 2, 3, 4, UK Gold, Dave, MTV music channels, Sports via the red button, and many more,always play up, screen message "no sattelite signal being received". Iv currently had Sky for 6 years at my present address, paid the insurance for my box for 4 years, but as soon as I didnt renew my insurance, after many phone call reminders, this problem started! Have made countless phone calls, with varying degrees of success, only to be repeatedly told that to rectify the problem I would have to take out the insurance again! If cable was available in my area I would sign them up in a flash, and I would love to tell Sky where to stick their dish!! Has anyone told Sky to cancel and not had them groveling with you to stay? Would hate them to say ok, seeya,bye, cus id be stuffed!!
1st Oct 08 06:10

Anon

Since the last two or one week I haven't been watching sky because of the no signal problem and they shows I miss for example doctor who if everyone in the united kingdom like doctor who and all of them are using sky they all missed it and the blame will be on sky and as a matter of fact sky have been a pain in everyones neck and for children they can't stop watching TV if they came back from school straight to there TV and they can't stop from watching it so please sky stop this madness.

Nik

I've got the same problems as Sue.. this is ridiculous. Let me know what you guys do it's crazy!
We live in a gated apartment complex and the dish is on the roof of about 40 loft apartments.

Sue

For no reason at all our sky box cannot recieve a signal (absolutely fine one minute).After 4 hours we phoned sky, got number off sky services only to ring and number no longer exits. Anyway got through explained that we're not getting signal was told to press this button and that button putting in a pin number switching it off at the mains putting it back on just to get same message. Was told it was £65 for an engineer to come out or we could take out insurance (at £8 amonth) which would take immediate effect. We declined both. We've been with sky for 8 years.

kathy

Very enlightening. Wish more ex employee would take the time to do this sort of thing and uncover the horrors we as consumers have to put up with in this country.
Well done! and Thanks.

colin

same problem world wide GREED, try and find someone who will do a good job for a fair price, you will be looking for a long time I am of the old school, fair days work for a fair days pay

Raymond

I got fedup paying £40 per month to see endless film repeats, and far more adverts than you get on normal telly. I cancelled over a year ago (removing my subscription card a couple of weeks before the end of my contract, so my box would be anonymous). I have continued watching the free sky channels since then. Recently I too have 'No Satellite Signal' on every channel. It looks like they change their encoding from time to time, but only update subscriber's boxes with the algorithm. Never mind, as I also bought a non-sky box which I use to get hundreds of free channels from around the world. I recommend watching the french channels on the Atlantic Bird satellite.

anon

a direct number to a supervisor would be handy as or the actual address of sky head office rather than some post office box would be really good because once you have the fixed address of the director of the company then legal action can be take directly for those who wish it.

'Arry

The dish box system is not up to the standard expected in 2008. I have had a problem every 12 months or so and am fed up with days off and expense. I can't help wondering if sky mess with software creating the fault in the first place. I'm off to Virgin. My brothers on cable and doesn't get the recurring problems. If there are problems Sky should sort them out for free or they will continue to hemmorage customers

Anthony

Just to add, I have done the s/w download again and it's the same, the channels start to break up after a minute or so and then go all together. It's as thought it's something warming up and then failing???

Thanks
Ant
22nd Feb 08 12:02

Anthony

Hi, I have a Sky HD box and I am getting the 'No Satellite Signal Received' along with 'FOR YOUR INFORMATION 28' above it. This only happens on certain channels though and although I have swapped the feeds over, it is still the same. I have fetched my sky+ box from the other room and that works perfectly on all channels. So it can't be the feeds or lnb, dish, connectors, cabling can it?
I have done numerous s/w downloads in an attempt to fix it and for about 1 minute the channels are back but, as the minute progresses the channels gradually get blocky and then go altogther and back comes the 'No Satellite Signal Received' with 'FOR YOUR INFORMATION 28' above it!
Does anyone know what the '28' signifies???
also, could it be a tuner in the hd box at fault as both signals are about 3/4 and swapping them over has no effect?
one other thing, when I tried the hd box in the front room (where my sk+ box lives), it has the same problems - surely this is ruling out any cabling/connection problems therefor leaving the hd box at fault?

I hope someone can through some light on this please?
I bought this second hand hd box from ebay and it is the second one from them (other had a different fault altogether)

Thanks, Ant
21st Feb 08 11:02

Honestly, does TV rule everyone's life these days? If its not working, get a life and find something else to do. It's not the end of the world
21st Jan 08 11:01

big bopa

we look up to the sky and pray.no need any more phone then up.you will have loads of time to pray when you are on hold or stuck in the press 999 for someone that cares.im not mad just had poor signal for 6 months now got no signal at all for christmas thanks sky. after over 15 years .cable are on there way too bad that sky just do not care
23rd Dec 07 07:12

Mad

Today I called Sky as we had a problem in receiving two of the children's channels. I eventually got through to an advisor by taking the 'interested in buying' option, as I had been cut off four times before reaching an advisor when trying to connect to the 'technical problem' option. As my sky card appeared slightly bent, I agreed to a new card being sent out at no additional cost, hoping this may resolve the problem. I returned home later on in the day to find that I had no satellite signal, my current card had been cut off when I agreed to a new card. According to Sky the viewing card cannot be re-activated. As it is unlikely I will receive the new card until the New Year, my family now face a Christmas without being able to watch their favourite programs. I am furious with Sky for not mentioning to me that my viewing card would be immediately disabled. Had I known this was the procedure I would have waited until everyone was back at work/school before requesting a new card. After more than 10 years with Sky I have now cancelled my subscription as I feel paying £51 every month warrants a better service. If my family can live with FreeView over the Christmas period, we can live with it the rest of the year. I did also feel the advisor was being a little sarcastic when her final words to me were "have a nice Christmas".
22nd Dec 07 09:12

=]

Everyone caught onto this little trick a long time ago and you may well end up red faced when you call to cancel your sky, and the agent on the other end of the phone says 'Ok then, that will be 30 days notice mate, thanks for your call!' If you're out of warranty, tough. You should have gotten extended insurance like everyone else does.

freeview forever

Always tell sky your going to cancel and that soon gets an engineer out. I think once you cancel they dial into your system and shut the decoder on your card, that stops you getting freeview channels. Secret here is to unplug the phoneline before you phone and cancel, even then I think the encrption expires at some point in the future.

john london

I cancelled last week, and today "no satellite signal received" on every channel even the frre to air ones!

Rang Sky, did a LNB reset, still no joy - they say I have to pay £65 for a callout (warranty ended 3 weeks ago after 14 yrs as a customer at the top subscription level).

:¬)

Just had the same experience. Experienced problems with picture, breaking up/no signal rec'd etc. (Box is three years old) I reluctantly agreed to pay €65.00 (I'm in ROI) for an engineer to come out. Then I visited this site, decided to give sky a call threatening to cancel and they rolled over straight away! Nice one!

Adrian

Some good advice here, been experiencing no satellite signal message for some time, rang Sky and told them I wanted to cancel and was going to Virgin. Immediately offered either engineer free of charge or upgrade to Sky+ box for £49.99 as I had been a good customer for 5 years without any fuss at all. Thanks for those who have contributed it does work.

Johnny

A bit of advice for customers with problems. I work for SKY and sympathise with the customers when they have problems and I will do my best to sort them out. The most important thing to do is keep calm, if you start being aggressive or shout at the advisor they will not help you, they are just trying to understand the problem and figure out the best way to help. I am very tolerant of people who are frustrated but intolerant of abusive callers. If you ask to speak to my supervisor I will pass you to the person sitting next to me as we are told to do, I return the favour for my colleague. Only when you ask to speak to the manager will you possibly speak to a team leader. You have to understand that we do not deliberately provide a bad customer service it is just that due to the high turnover of staff, many are not experienced enough to deal with all problems. Another problem advisors experience is 'freeloaders', they are only out to get what they can from sky and be very unreasonable with their demands at the same time. I will personally give a disgruntled customer whatever deal I have access to when it is deserved but sometimes I have to transfer the call to another advisor. When that is done whatever offer I have given but not taken up will be lost, if the other department cannot offer any more. Each advisor has different levels of access to offers. If your sky+ box breaks down within 90 days of installation you will get a brand new replacement, more than 90 days it will be a refurbished box. If your new digibox breaks down even the day after install it will be a refurbished box you get (because it was free in the first instance they have no obligation to provide a new one. You will only be charged £65 if your box in more than 1year old.

Hope this helps and remember if you have had your contract for more than 1 year keep threatening to cancel though and you will get a free service call at the least.
Good luck.
23rd Aug 07 02:08

Graham Budd

Sky box on the box - did I need insurance? What a coincidence!

I received a call offering insurance on my sky digibox as the warranty had expired. I explained that I no longer had a Sky subscription so I was not interested in their warranty. Since then I have been getting a 'No satellite signal being received' message whenever I try to watch free to air services through the digibox. Do they have some kind of jamming mechanism to annoy customers who have cancelled?
21st Aug 07 12:08

Mark Elliott

Thanks it worked and I got the free service call to repair the fault

Biggles

I've been with Sky for about four years and I am now cancelling my subscription as I am moving to a flatshare which already has Sky. Do I have to return the box and satellite dish, or anything else? I can't find my contract to check what it says!

Simon A

Just followed your advice and now have an engineer coming out to fit a new box cable and dish all for £49. Great.

bigal

Really glad I came across this site. Having been with Sky for 14 years, I was annoyed when I was told by them I'd have to pay £65 for a call out. Followed advice on this site and phoned them back to cancel and was delighted to be offered a new SKY plus for £49 with free fitting. (I was prepared to pay £99). Maybe I could have pushed them further but was scared in case I took it too far and they did cancel (which I didn't really want). Thanks again to the advice of all you good people.

C

My sky was installed on Monday this week. I had not received my sky card before the installation. The engineer left my house knowing full well it would not work. Received card on Wednesday. Have phoned numerous times (now Friday) and gone through all trouble shooting but still "no satellite signal is being received". They arranged to send an engineer round this weekend and didn't mention money (I assumed it was free as it's their fault?) but now I am worried I will be charged!!

I'm not confident that they'll fix the problem as I have tried every which way to get it to work. Hmpf.

aprilseven

Thanks so much for the advice! Had a "no signal received" message today after many months of intermittent problems (especially when raining, which in Scotland happens fairly frequently!!).
Have just spoken to SKY cancellations department who, without any negotiation, offered a free service with complete replacement of all equipment- new dish, box etc! Satellite TV is our only reasonable option due to living in difficult reception area so absolutely delighted with this outcome.

blackburn

Just want to thank the person who gave this information. Had no sat signal displayed - rang sky and was told the usual £65 call out or the upgrade to sky+ for £99. Rang the cancellation department and told them we were not happy with the charges and we would prefer to cancel and go to telewest for the free equipment - what a surprise - engineer coming out monday to fix the problem for FREE!!
Thank you very much people like you make a difference in the world!
2nd Jun 07 10:06

Toby

Exactly as previous writers - went through the process and ended up with a very helpfull person who after wanting £65 for an engineer to visit and then £100+ for an upgrade, offered a free new installation to be supplied in a few days time.
Many thanks for the advice.

Adrian52

Came off a short break last weekend and found we had no signal, I thought it was the dish that was out of line. Bought a meter £20 and found the sky dish was ok.
We contacted sky and they said they could send a engineer out, but it would cost £60+ told them we thought that was a rip off.
We have had problems in the past so decided tonight to throw in the towel with sky.
Got through to cancel dept and told them we had had enough.

They have offered us a complete new install FREE Sky dish, box, cable, installed for free with 1 year warranty, fitting on Friday afternoon.

Maybe we could have hung out for more! but we are happy.

Nick S.

Hey, they're not all bad - called sky to report a "no sat..." problem and was met with the usual £65 engineers callout fee reply. I was genuinely gonna cancel my subs, as I very rarely watch telly anyway so I told the guy on the line this was what I wanted to do. After a brief period on hold I was transferred to another fella and to be honest he couldn't have been more helpful. Offered me a free repair/replacement of dish/reciever within 5 days or a half price upgrade to Sky plus with no extra subscription charge as compensation for the 3 week period we had been without a signal . Happy with that.

Jopie

Can I just say if you have the extended warranty they are so helpful, you ring the repair line, they then call sky, put you through and arrange an enginner to come out within 2 days for me free of charge.

so hey insurance is some times worth it for a fiver a month!

Ian

As an Engineer myself I know where your comming from. Cheers for the help mate. I'll drop you a line with an update.

HAZEL64

Followed your advice re call out charge after problem with no satelite signal, all sorts of offered by sky to keep subscription after attempting to cancel when asked to pay for engineer to come out and look at a cost of £65.00 plus !!!! cost of parts etc. kept declining offers until engineer sent out for free....now have new satelite system for free. thanks for tips highly recommended to all...don't let sky rip you off.

Tushar

Great! it worked... exactly the way it is said on this page. They are sending an engineer for free this week. Thanks!

michelle hook

I totally agree that Sky is the worst company I have ever had dealings with and I am pleased to say I am no longer subscribing with them

Lee

I have been contacted by Sky four times in the last five years to say that my warranty has expired(I have never renewed my warranty).
On two of those occasions when I refused to renew the warranty,my skybox refused to work within 24 hours.
I contacted Sky by lengthy telephone call, only to be told to turn off my Sky box for two minutes to reset it.
On both occasions my Skybox miraculously began working again.
I have had to reset the Skybox many times by using this method over the seven years that I have been a Sky customer.
Last year I decided to cancel my subscription, after which the renewal offers came flooding in.
Four days ago I was contacted by Sky to say that my warranty had expired, so I advised them that I am no longer a customer of theirs.
'Are you using the Skybox as a freeveiw box?' I was asked.
'Yes', I replied
Guess who is without freeview now (no satelite signal received)?

James Murdoch

What a complete load of rubish. Sky is crap but this guy does not know what he is talking about!

We know who you are!

Stuart

Can someone please tell me how to reset the LNB on a Amstrad Skydigital box

WHYOHWHYGETSKY?

Just returned to Sky after break of 2 years. Service now terrible. Installer did not wait to see all working, left before channels came in. When they did found previously working dvd/video combi no longer works on video. 2nd engineer worse than first one. Obviously had no idea, just pulled scarts in and out in blind random attempt to solve problem (with live TV on at the time, even after I said he should turn all off at mains before removing scarts). Left saying was Video problem. (It was a sky engineer problem... video fine). Now 3rd engineer will be here after the 8 days to cancel will be expired. Checked that still have the right to cancel if the install has not been satisfactorily completed after the 3rd engineer and told "no", my right to cancel will expire before 3rd engineer arrives. Can this be legal? It is NOT installed in my book until working, and the 8 days should start from then, and whatever happened to the 14 day cooling off period all other companies have to adhere to? Decided to let 3rd engineer have a go and see them in court if they still refuse a cancellation.

Richard, Glasgow

Communal dishes.

Hi guys, I've experienced the same stuff as you and I came across something that may be an extra piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

It turns out that the problem is not with the box, which is the only thing Sky can really deal with, but with the signal and I suddenly have found out that my signal comes from a comunal dish.

Sky does not offer any warranty or any service dealing with this communal dish so now I have to contact the factor of my building in order to find out which company installed the $%£^%$£ dish and get him to deal with it at my own expense.

This is a total absurdity in my understanding, because I did not sign a contract with any external dish provider but with Sky.

Gary Essex

Sky are the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with:
I have had numerous problems with them every step of the way concerning ie:
dish installation
digiboxes
billing
broadband router lost
sky talk billing
empty promises
failure to return numerous calls and
failure to reply to letters sent.
Now I can't even watch a single program without it telling me I have "no signal" or "losing sound".
I'm sick to death with dealing with this company and Im going to tell them to stick their dish where there signal is!! (Then I'm going to read all those books I always wanted to read).
Gary Essex
3rd Mar 07 08:03

alan

tried the advice given by easypeasy it worked a treat. thanks mate

jason d

Before the warranty expired on my sky system we noticed that many channels were missing and receiving "no signal"

We contacted sky by email but received no replt and by the time we rang them up the system was out of warranty by 10 days or so."Martin" from the call centre said that there was nothing that they could do apart from charge me £65.00 and send out the engineer.

We carried on paying the subs for a couple of months before this seemed more than rediculous , paying for something that we were not getting.So I decided to ring the call center again trying to get an engineer out without paying for the call out. This wasn't going to happen an eventually after 40 miutes on the phone I was finally through to someone who could see that within a few months sky would more than re-coup there loses of sending out an engineer with my continued subsription.

Unfortunately before any arrangements were made I was cut off. I nievely thought that, as the sky customer helpdesk/cancellation contact on the phone had my details that they would call me back or that the engineer would do this.What was I supposed to do????spend another 40 minutes on the phone????

After 10 days with no reply I went to the bank and cancelled the direct debit. If sky put as many resources into their customer services department as they do into trying to get me open up the direct debit again then every customer would be extreemly well looked after. Just within two days I had a phone call to tell be about some special offers .
23rd Feb 07 03:02

TonyD

I have followed easypeasys LNB reset instructions to the letter but it hasn't made any difference, still finding "No Signal" on considerable number of my channels including all the even numbered movie channels which I am paying for. My package is costing me £28.00 per month. Like those of you who are fed up with being kept on line for ages do any of you have any other answers to the problem? Apart from "ditch sky" that is. Thanks and hope to hear from somebody.

Patsy K

Why is it not possible to get the person in India to listern to what I have to say or rather take in what I am saying.

It appears that I have problems with BBC and similar sites.

By the waythe callout charge is £65. I had to drag it out of the person I was speaking to.

greg

Guys have you rebooted the skybox that may clear up the problem because it is possable that channels have been added so before rebooting the sky box check to see if there have been extra channels have been added, if so then reboot and the problem should go away you can but try if that doesent work then try and get a sattelite reciever called the dream box because they are slightly better ok.

s

hi nick yes you can (not recomended though) make sure you get the proper satalite cable
and be careful you dont disturb the dish too much if you move it out of alignement you will get the nss and a lnb reset wont resolve it....

NICK

VERY GOOD,,,

can I ask you a question? thanks If you can help,
I have sky+ In my lounge, but I want the option of moving It tempoary Into another room,
I have looked at the satelIte Its self and there are 4 female connectIon holes, Im already plugged Into 2 of those wIth my exIstIng cable,
my question Is;
can I run new cable from satelIte comIng out of the other 2 spare holes? as then I could fIx a perImInant female box on the wall In each room,
hope you understand,
31st Jan 07 11:01

Rich

Just after my warranty ran out on my Sky box it lost a few channels;I got the message "No satelite signal received."

I phoned Sky after a few weeks of waiting for it to fix itself and they ran through several tests over the phone, none of which worked and they said I would have to pay for an engineer to come out. I refused; so I still have some missing channels.

I have tried the LNB reset and the forced upgrade with no luck. I am thinking of the cancel subscription ploy. Thanks for the site.

sheena

After reading the mt employees comments I fell the need to reply with a question
If you feel that bad about working for one of skys outsourced departments why do you
continue to work for an agency of such a "dismal company"?
May I also add I work for the technical department in livingston I also do customer care work after my 8 hr shift replying to the letters you say never get answered have you never really thought through why our job can be so difficult at times well I can say whole heartedly comments like yours dont help. I believe you are entitled fully to your opinion but if you were any sort of person maybe you should think about the depremental effect your opinion will have on your work mates when they answer the next call from a disgruntled customer who has been on this page...if you feel that strongly about customers getting such a raw deal from sky can I ask what your customer service is like do you protray this negitivity to your customers? we can all have bad shifts in work but if yours is that bad why not get another job instead of complaining about the one you have
21st Jan 07 04:01

justme

the LBN reset instructions by easypeasy do work. There is no '0' option in the setup menu cause this is hidden. Sky dont want you messing around. Just press '0' and hen '1' in quick succession and then select and it will take you to the installation menu.

Non SKY Customer who has a lif

Hilarious comments indeed! When I see a Company featured on Watchdog I don't do business with them it's as simple as that. I would have thought that one look at the tone level of the SKY owners Newspapers would be enough evidence of what to expect in terms of truth and fairplay.

jeff34

I had this problem and I fixed it by removing the Satellite connecter and rewiring it. I then pressed in the "backup" button and held it in, powered up the unit and continued to hold the button in for 10seconds. What then happened is the screen goes black a white written message appears telling you not to touch unit for 10 minutes. It took 12 so I did get worried but the entire system gets a reboot and reinstallation of the newest software direct from the satellite. This fixed everything and no more problems for a year now. I do power the unit off once a month just to clear the system manually as it does seem to slow down if I don't

easypeasy

How to perform a LNB Reset

This procedure will ensure your signal settings are correct.

1. Using your Sky remote control press "Services" followed by "4".
2. Now press "0" (number zero), "1" then the "Select" button in QUICK succession. The "Installer Setup Menu" should now be displayed.
3. Press "1" to access the "LNB Setup" menu.
4. Press the down arrow to highlight "LNB Power Supply".
5. Press the right arrow key once to change the setting from "On" to "Off".
6. Press the down arrow to highlight "22KHz Command".
7. Press the right arrow key once to change the setting from "On" to "Off".
8. Press the down arrow to highlight "Save New Settings" and press "Select".
9. This returns you to the "Installer Setup Menu".
10. Press "1" to access the "LNB Setup" menu.
11. Press the "red" button on your Sky remote control to reset all settings.( Both the "LNB Power Supply" and "22KHz Command" will now read "On").
12. Press the down arrow to highlight "Save New Settings" and press "Select".

Now press the "Sky" button to exit all menus.

annoydwithiy

The LNB reset instructions listed below do not work. There is no option zero on the setup menu.

So how do we reset LNB please, anybody sensible?

Alexp

Since having Sky+ installed we have come accross no end of problems. No signal being received/boxes freezing/boxes making constant clicking and grinding noises/boxes switching off and recordings being cancelled to name but a few.
Currently we are on box number 4,however rest assured box number 5 is being installed on monday!!
The concept of Sky+ is fantastic. After having it you really feel you can't do without. But the customer service, time spent waiting to get through on the telephone and constant threats of taking your custom elsewhere is begginning to wear me down.
What on earth is the problem? I have never come accross a company so regularly featured on Watchdog and with the only consistancy being terrible customer service.
Something needs to be done.
Until then and to all of you reading with the same problems, we will continue to hold on the telephone for that free service call, another new box and a couple of months credit on your account (if they don't offer this ask for a manager-who soon will!) because, sadly for us, Sky have the monopoly and they know it!
Whilst we wait for a miracle...happy complaining!!!!

Steve

You can cancel Sky by email or post so avoiding a frustrating phone call to their call centre. Details of what to say in your email or letter can be found at 'How to Cancel Sky' at www.christiansat.org.uk/cancel.html

stuartkeith

OK SKY SUCK! My bill is apparntly £180. WHY!

Well back in April I owed £14 I recieved a call saying If I clear this, I will then get half price sky for 6months! Great sky+ for £18 a month! Sorted.

Well the 1st bill comes in at £80!! Im straight on the phone to sky. I have been charged twice not half, and also charged two lots of sky+ service charge even though we are on a top tieir and dont pay it!

30 mins later its sorted and we are promised it wont happen again!

NExt month the same! Phone up etc and its sorted!

Now this has been going on fot the last 7months, I spend almost an hour on the phone each month trying to get it sorted, some person I speak to says im right and have been overcharged and others say the bill is correct! HOW IS THIS! if I didnt pay my bill for every month for 6 months then it should be less than £120! so how they get £180 after 3 months I never know.

They then tell me that the deal was never applied and they are not sure what happened! I pay what they say I owe £33 and then get cut off the following week!

Now they wont take my money has they are not sure what I owe, they credit my account £80 to get me back online and promise to get back to me. they never do, then one month later cut us off!

I now have to pay them £130 to get reconected and they stll say we owe them £80 every bill that comes seems to be charging me double! but they cant sort it!

If it wernt for the fact that I cant be without sky+ I go back to NTL!!

RJH

That is just typical Sky. We have just subscribed and have already had to deal with their incompitant call centres.

E = M *c^2

Some people are really lazy. Too lazy to do a Google search.

edd

Come on Anonymous,

just how do you reset an LNB.

E = M *c^2, what on earth are you rabbitting on about???

del

Thanks for the info.

Just how do you do a LNB reset.???