Loss of power on my VW Golf when overtaking

I have owned the car since new and always had Volkswagen carry out all servicing and maintenance.  I have the same old loss of power problem reported by others.  It has recently been loosing power whenever it gets up to 70 mph in 4th or 5th gear, usually when overtaking.

Do these symptoms sound famliar?

Add your comments to the discussion forum

If engine switched off and on again, it goes back to normal (until next time).  The car has also suffered from serious problems starting when cold (Usually takes 20-30 seconds!)  The fault started shortly after a regular service at the Volkswagen garage.  It has been back and they replaced air mass meter (which I paid for).  Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.  They then replaced the air mass meter again with a different one - still no good.

the dealer admitted that they didn't know what the problem was or how to solve it...

The next likely candidate for the problems was a solenoid valve on the exhaust flow.  That didn't fix the problems either.  Next they tried another electronic sensor linked to air mass meter.  Guess what?  Still the same problems!

They did a full day diagnostic on the turbo and said there were no faults there and that it performed well.  In total there were seven opportunities to fix the fault and they failed every time.  I even drove it to the garage in this state for them to plug in the VW computer which again identified a fault which had already been dealt with twice before.

The dealer admitted that in all honesty, they didn't know what the problem was or how to solve it.  He said I wouldn't have to pay for the further work since they hadn't resolved the problem.

I have now put up with this crappy VW Golf for 3 months and learned to never try overtaking.  Out of the blue I received a bill for nearly 500 on top of the first bill for unnecessary work.  Lesson - My VW Golf 1.9 GT TDI (110) is a pile of rubbish.  DON'T believe people when they praise their Volkswagen Golf!  The car is too complicated even for their "so called" experts to fix and parts and labour are stupidly expensive.

I am going back to my Ford Escort - 230K miles and still going strong; oh and cheap to run with the advantage that I can fix it myself if it goes wrong.

By: Paul

VW GOlf

I've had exact same problem and similar responses from garages. I've now located the problem which is the N75 valve; the turbo is fine but it is this valve that assumes the car is over-boosting once you hit 70mph hence it limits the power. Once this is changed it should fix the problem and your speed should return. Most mechanics will pass it off as turbo when in reality it's a little valve which costs around £35. Try this as your problem sounds exactly like the one I was having.

collar

Do yourself a favor and get a rover 75. most of them have been well looked after, and you've got luxury motoring, 3 or 4 grand buying a late, top of the range car, with all the gadgets you'd get in a VW.

boblet

Dead and Buried. You have dredged up an age old Myth. There is not one single instance where a German product, or anything else for that matter is superior to a British product, in a similar price range. However that was not my point. The point I attempted to make, the one that went over your head. The one where I chose not to criticise German "Heath Robertson" Engineering methods. In answering Anonymous. I drew attention to the after sales situation, The fact that a letter of complaint in English, as opposed to French or German, in my opinion was more potent.

Dead and Buried

German engineering equals quality and reliability. English manufacturing equals pieces of crap by lazy halfhearted cowboys.

boblet

The answer is the same one that has always applied "Anonymous", buy British. The car built in Britain gives you access to a superior dealership network. A letter to Ford or Vauxhall can also work wonders. A letter in English to a French manufacture brings only laughter.

Anonymous

Hello...please read on...Im the new owner of an SW 307 Peugeot. Recently i had similar faults with turbo issues. I returned my vehicle to the dealership due to the car pulling back all the time. They checked it & said there's a pressure unit problem. They changed a solenoid and guess what? I lost complete power, i was devastated. This problem has now been going on for 3 months, the garage are not prepared to negotiate, leaving me to deal with this solely on my own, what a disgrace. Since then i have booked my car in with a Peugeot expert for diagnosis, and the faults were showing Turbo & EGR valve concerns. Next stage booked Peugeot in to fit new turbo and still no power!!! Please can anyone Help???? Much appreciated.

Mark

My 2002 (from new) Seat Leon 1.9 TDi (145k) has had all the usual Leon faults (leaky doors, leaking rear washer, broken boot switch, and turbo loss on acceleration). Over time I have fixed all problems and as for the turbo (still the same one) I now believe the problem (in my case) has been due to dirt in the system. I was also having issues with the ABS light coming up on dash (only lost traction tho) and my local garage couldn't find the problem (via diagnostics code) apart from an 'unexplained' code that suggested there was a fueling problem? The car seemed to be running fine however? They couldn't explain why the ABS error would come on if it was a fueling issue? Until a few months ago this ABS fault was a regular problem (ignition on/off to reset) but I changed oil, bought some 'forte' turbo cleaner followed (separated by tank filling) by 'forte' fuel cleaner and then some (unusually) hard acceleration for a week and this ABS fault has miraculously gone away! As the car is now running perfectly after this (relatively low cost) action, I would recommend other readers try this before getting too commited with your local garage and the subsequent sensor/fault code hassles.
2nd Jun 14 11:06

Anonymous

Purchased my Brand new Audi A4 Avant 177 Tdi Black Edition in March 2013 my 3rd consecutive Audi. During 12 months of ownership it has been off the road in excess of 2 months for 4 new seat frames, new clutch & DMF @ 3,000 miles, new brakes to cure a "clunking" noise in reverse, front suspension creaks and misaligned fuel flap and bonnet!....customer service from both Audi dealer and head office has been nothing short of appalling!....goodbye Audi!!

Robert

I own a 2012 VW Golf with the 7 speed DSG . My car has failed twice now with a loss of power. VW refuses to do anything about it and I have been forced to sue them. VW want me to continue to drive my car around at my own risk until it happens again. This is so dangerous and not good enough. VW has recalled 2008 to Sept 2011 models and 2013 models the 7 speed DSG for loss of power problems but are in denail about the same problem occuring in its 2012 models. This is a disgrace with VW putting its corporate profits and brand before customer safety. Others have had the same issue. Let me know if you have a 2012 7 speed DSG model that has lost power. I am concerned about the saftey of other VW owners if this issue remains a secret. I am being encouraged to start a class action.

Les

Three things to look out for,, yes mass airflow meter is a big yes but make sure you get the better quality one as in from V W, the next thing is make sure every vacuum hose/pipe that is connected to a multitude of electronic/mechanical valves as I had checked at least five times and still missed one that was broken, it sits under a hose on the cam belt side and you just can't see it from above. The next problem is the waste gate sticks on the turbo and the same problem is found on the E G R Valve they will need cleaning. Anyway it always starts with the Mass Air Flower meter being faulty and they came out of the factory like that as the little resister in the meter just falls out and you can't see it anywhere, it was never fixed properly from day one. I have used a non genuine Mass Airflow Meter and they do work fine so its up to you if the budget is limited, do not use second hand ones they can be faulty. Another thing...after you have replaced any of these parts beware you will have to take the car for a good run at least 50 miles so everything resets it self and the E C U has time to correct it's self but only if you are sure the problem has been resolved.

DWM

This problem has started today on my 1.6 blue motion Pasay, 28,000 miles. All services.

Graham

I have the exact same problem with my 07 transporter. Paid over a grand for a new turbo. No change. Any ideas??