Loss of power on my VW Golf when overtaking

I have owned the car since new and always had Volkswagen carry out all servicing and maintenance.  I have the same old loss of power problem reported by others.  It has recently been loosing power whenever it gets up to 70 mph in 4th or 5th gear, usually when overtaking.

Do these symptoms sound famliar?

Add your comments to the discussion forum

If engine switched off and on again, it goes back to normal (until next time).  The car has also suffered from serious problems starting when cold (Usually takes 20-30 seconds!)  The fault started shortly after a regular service at the Volkswagen garage.  It has been back and they replaced air mass meter (which I paid for).  Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.  They then replaced the air mass meter again with a different one - still no good.

the dealer admitted that they didn't know what the problem was or how to solve it...

The next likely candidate for the problems was a solenoid valve on the exhaust flow.  That didn't fix the problems either.  Next they tried another electronic sensor linked to air mass meter.  Guess what?  Still the same problems!

They did a full day diagnostic on the turbo and said there were no faults there and that it performed well.  In total there were seven opportunities to fix the fault and they failed every time.  I even drove it to the garage in this state for them to plug in the VW computer which again identified a fault which had already been dealt with twice before.

The dealer admitted that in all honesty, they didn't know what the problem was or how to solve it.  He said I wouldn't have to pay for the further work since they hadn't resolved the problem.

I have now put up with this crappy VW Golf for 3 months and learned to never try overtaking.  Out of the blue I received a bill for nearly 500 on top of the first bill for unnecessary work.  Lesson - My VW Golf 1.9 GT TDI (110) is a pile of rubbish.  DON'T believe people when they praise their Volkswagen Golf!  The car is too complicated even for their "so called" experts to fix and parts and labour are stupidly expensive.

I am going back to my Ford Escort - 230K miles and still going strong; oh and cheap to run with the advantage that I can fix it myself if it goes wrong.

By: Paul

nalaver

firstly ,clean inlet manifold,this can be done with special fluid you nee to run engine to prevent damage,
then you need to look at air flow values,a cable and laptop needed.
at the same time all other parameters are easily read .
if for any reason the wastegate does dot open or variable turbo does not adjust high boost triggers a limp mode.
so this would follow a burst of good acceleration...
this is easily remedied ,if no luch with dealership get it chipped and ban limp mode...

VW GOlf

I've had exact same problem and similar responses from garages. I've now located the problem which is the N75 valve; the turbo is fine but it is this valve that assumes the car is over-boosting once you hit 70mph hence it limits the power. Once this is changed it should fix the problem and your speed should return. Most mechanics will pass it off as turbo when in reality it's a little valve which costs around £35. Try this as your problem sounds exactly like the one I was having.

collar

Do yourself a favor and get a rover 75. most of them have been well looked after, and you've got luxury motoring, 3 or 4 grand buying a late, top of the range car, with all the gadgets you'd get in a VW.

boblet

Dead and Buried.
You have dredged up an age old Myth. There is not one single instance where a German product, or anything else for that matter is superior to a British product, in a similar price range. However that was not my point. The point I attempted to make, the one that went over your head. The one where I chose not to criticise German "Heath Robertson" Engineering methods. In answering Anonymous. I drew attention to the after sales situation, The fact that a letter of complaint in English, as opposed to French or German, in my opinion was more potent.

Dead and Buried

German engineering equals quality and reliability. English manufacturing equals pieces of crap by lazy halfhearted cowboys.

boblet

The answer is the same one that has always applied "Anonymous", buy British. The car built in Britain gives you access to a superior dealership network. A letter to Ford or Vauxhall can also work wonders. A letter in English to a French manufacture brings only laughter.

Anonymous

Hello...please read on...Im the new owner of an SW 307 Peugeot. Recently i had similar faults with turbo issues. I returned my vehicle to the dealership due to the car pulling back all the time. They checked it & said there's a pressure unit problem. They changed a solenoid and guess what? I lost complete power, i was devastated. This problem has now been going on for 3 months, the garage are not prepared to negotiate, leaving me to deal with this solely on my own, what a disgrace. Since then i have booked my car in with a Peugeot expert for diagnosis, and the faults were showing Turbo & EGR valve concerns. Next stage booked Peugeot in to fit new turbo and still no power!!! Please can anyone Help???? Much appreciated.

Mark

My 2002 (from new) Seat Leon 1.9 TDi (145k) has had all the usual Leon faults (leaky doors, leaking rear washer, broken boot switch, and turbo loss on acceleration). Over time I have fixed all problems and as for the turbo (still the same one) I now believe the problem (in my case) has been due to dirt in the system. I was also having issues with the ABS light coming up on dash (only lost traction tho) and my local garage couldn't find the problem (via diagnostics code) apart from an 'unexplained' code that suggested there was a fueling problem? The car seemed to be running fine however? They couldn't explain why the ABS error would come on if it was a fueling issue? Until a few months ago this ABS fault was a regular problem (ignition on/off to reset) but I changed oil, bought some 'forte' turbo cleaner followed (separated by tank filling) by 'forte' fuel cleaner and then some (unusually) hard acceleration for a week and this ABS fault has miraculously gone away! As the car is now running perfectly after this (relatively low cost) action, I would recommend other readers try this before getting too commited with your local garage and the subsequent sensor/fault code hassles.
2nd Jun 14 11:06

Anonymous

Purchased my Brand new Audi A4 Avant 177 Tdi Black Edition in March 2013 my 3rd consecutive Audi. During 12 months of ownership it has been off the road in excess of 2 months for 4 new seat frames, new clutch & DMF @ 3,000 miles, new brakes to cure a "clunking" noise in reverse, front suspension creaks and misaligned fuel flap and bonnet!....customer service from both Audi dealer and head office has been nothing short of appalling!....goodbye Audi!!

Robert

I own a 2012 VW Golf with the 7 speed DSG . My car has failed twice now with a loss of power. VW refuses to do anything about it and I have been forced to sue them. VW want me to continue to drive my car around at my own risk until it happens again. This is so dangerous and not good enough. VW has recalled 2008 to Sept 2011 models and 2013 models the 7 speed DSG for loss of power problems but are in denail about the same problem occuring in its 2012 models. This is a disgrace with VW putting its corporate profits and brand before customer safety. Others have had the same issue. Let me know if you have a 2012 7 speed DSG model that has lost power. I am concerned about the saftey of other VW owners if this issue remains a secret. I am being encouraged to start a class action.

Les

Three things to look out for,, yes mass airflow meter is a big yes but make sure you get the better quality one as in from V W, the next thing is make sure every vacuum hose/pipe that is connected to a multitude of electronic/mechanical valves as I had checked at least five times and still missed one that was broken, it sits under a hose on the cam belt side and you just can't see it from above. The next problem is the waste gate sticks on the turbo and the same problem is found on the E G R Valve they will need cleaning. Anyway it always starts with the Mass Air Flower meter being faulty and they came out of the factory like that as the little resister in the meter just falls out and you can't see it anywhere, it was never fixed properly from day one. I have used a non genuine Mass Airflow Meter and they do work fine so its up to you if the budget is limited, do not use second hand ones they can be faulty. Another thing...after you have replaced any of these parts beware you will have to take the car for a good run at least 50 miles so everything resets it self and the E C U has time to correct it's self but only if you are sure the problem has been resolved.

DWM

This problem has started today on my 1.6 blue motion Pasay, 28,000 miles. All services.

Graham

I have the exact same problem with my 07 transporter. Paid over a grand for a new turbo. No change. Any ideas??

Deepak

try to change ur injector O ring n see what happen cause they become hard n leaking fuel in injector n check ur injection quantity in block 13 in engine via VCDS -+0.5 is ok more than this u have to replace ur fuel injectors. i have same problem on my skoda superb 2.0 pd 2009

Tams

Iv had this problem with my golf a few years on and off but just recently it got worse and started juddering at the same time as the loss of power. Finally showed up on the computer as 1 of the injectors and air mass mtre so changed the injector and air mass metre then showed up fine after changing the injector and is loads better however it's juddering slightly in 4-5-6th gear between 45-70mph so back to the garage and air mass metre is showing faulty again and another injector is out?? I'm having the next one changed next week as it seems it is the problem as since replacing the first iv not had to turn the engine off at the side of the motorway and was having to do it daily before.

boblet

Q. I admire your approach to your problem. I took the same approach a few years back. I now know more about cars & tractors than all the mechanics I come across, & I do mean all..

Quinny golf mk5

Hi I'm having same prob with my mk 5 golf. Not a mechanic but started taking things off and noticed waste gate was 5mm thick in soot. Cleaned it off n put some grease on the inlet manfold(which was sticking when covered in soot) now drives like a dream. If ur manifold is sticking shut like mine was that's why your loosing power. The ecu tells the turbo to stop before it causes engine damage(emergency limp mode) hope this helps all you golf owners( waste gate comes off the throttle body just to the left of your rocker cover. It's a big black pipe with all the pipes that run to your diesel filter clipped on to the top of it.

davie 68

I've a problem with my VW Golf 1.9 TDI 2003. The break sensor light has been on for the last two weeks. Today the car has started to shudder when reaching speed. It goes ok when driving slow through the gears. When stationed pressing the accelerator down to max all seems normal. I'm wondering if the ABS is coming on,as it feels like the car is breaking.

boblet

Shatvinder pigeon is pigeon. fact is fact. Truth is a bit iffy as is faith.

boblet

No Satvinder with your pigeon English you are wrong. Also with a few other folk on the WG you pose a question then proceed to answer it. Who are the Brethren? Who is Mr Fahey? The asian girl in the VW next to me at the lights an hour ago in bradistan however is a fact. Her German bully machine had tinted windows, she was on her mobile, her music playing so loud I could hear it in my car as we waited for the lights to change.

boblet

I own up to going on about driving in bradistan. But every gripe I read on the WG could be multiplied by 3 here. They do not park their Audi's. VWs Beamers or Lex, (These are the people you are buying your used motor of) they abandon them. They hold long jabbering conversations whilst blocking the road both ways. Some road sides are lined with untaxed cars, sporting for sale signs. Using a mobile whilst driving is a requirement. There is not one motoring offence accept possibley drink driving, god forbid if they had a drop as well, that is not multiplied by the bradistanies. The police do absolutely nothing.

Hate my passat

It's crazy when you search the amount of problems VWs have
I'm literally driving a time bomb, I bought second hand from a garage 6 months ago and it is a pile if crap a 07 2L tdi. To date it has had 2 new fuel pumps, a crack in manifold fixed, dirty diesel (suspicious) as this was 2 days after they changed my fuel pump and car died while doing 100 nearly killing me. And now I have chugging at start up, for 5-10 minutes, there is not much power when I accelerate and it feels like it will die at any stage. Car is no longer in warranty can anyone suggest what this may be, local garage reckons EGR valve but all together it's €400 and only a maybe, please help.

now suicidal golf driver

My petrol 1.6 mk5 fsi has also lost power, after 6 miles or so when it warms up ?? it decides to cut all my power even though it was fine before. It wont rev past 3000 rmp!! Its dangerous!! Furthermore, it now wont talk to the diagnostic computer and after having the sum cleared out, a new fuel rail pressure regulater and the valves being reseated it still does it and it is now running worse the twating thing ! I do not expect this from a vw of all cars what a discrace.

VW say our unleaded is not good enough and that I should only put super unleaded fuel in my car ? I still have half a tank of so called shitty fuel left
2nd Aug 13 12:08

@carefulmum

Paul, I have been having problems with my Golf, VW are replacing the clutch, but I have lost confidence to drive it given the problems and recalls in other markets. I cannot afford to lose power in the outside lane of the motorway and be shunted from behind because of no break lights showing.

I spoke with VOSA but because I am experiencing juddering (and roll back, slipping), which is forewarning of a problem, my issue is not relevant as they only deal with problems that occur whitout prior warning. Please, please report your loss of power on VOSA's website. That is the sort of issue they can deal with I believe.

It is a sad reflection that we have no recourse to driving a shoddy vehicle that potential puts out lives and the lives of other road users at risk if we are forwarned of a potential fault.

VW have told me my chassis number is in a group of chassis numbers that are 'all clear' from DSG faults??? What??? They have not been straight with the people in other countries why would I believe them?

Three are a few streams on twitter worth looking at and a central site on facebook collecting worldwide problems with DSG related issues.

The Asutralian gearboxes that were recalled were made in Europe, I guess we have to wait for a very serious accident for anyone to listen in the UK.

AndyChips

After my 2003 Passat TDi came back from a service, routine cam belt change and brake service it exhibited similar problems; no power with revs below 2500. I took it back to the garage expecting them to say "Oh, sorry. We forgot to attach the hoses back to the turbo. Our fault. Many apologies". They phoned me later to say that the N75 solenoid valve was faulty and they wanted £185 to fix it. I couldn't believe it. How come it was FINE before it went in and then SUDDENLY went faulty whilst they were working on it.
Anyway, we had a stand up argument about it and they agreed to pay for the diags and labour, leaving me with the parts cost: £61. I decided it really wasn't worth arguing any more at that price, so I reluctantly agreed the deal.
Still got a bad taste in my mouth though.

tasha

I've just had this very same problem on my Leon tdi. Turned out to be a lot of crap in the fuel system. You need to thrash it to clean it and then take your fuel cap off and put some cleaner in it. Took weeks for us to work out the problem.

Vee Dubz

I would take your car to a reputable garage (not main stealers!) and get them to run a diagnostics. I have owned a golf mkiv gti for the past 6 years and have not had any problems, I drive a 2003 plate and the car runs nicely, loads of power! Good luck!

stewmair

My Peugeot lost power. The fuel pump sucked air by an ill fitting fuel pump gasket. Perhaps the pumps should be lower, even in the tank

boostmad222

ok its not the same car but my 98 tdi galay done exactly the same fing, was told its the maf, unplugged it and the engine nearly stalled, not that, then got told it was the n75 sensor, changed that.. nothing, got told my turbos gone, got under the car and its a shiney new 1, not that, even removed it and put it on a pals car wearnt that, replaced all (or so i fort :).) the vacum hose 4 silicone hose, nudda. in the end i found out that there a poxi vacum INSIDE the ecu, spent all day tryna find ecu, behind dash clock, hole in the hose result, so in what your saying it sounds like the ecu map pipe, locate that on the inlet side blowing thro it didnt really work so what i did was preasure test it with a bmx tyre valve use a foot pump (by hand) with a tyre presure gauge, pump to 8 psi go make a cuppa if ur preasures gone down uve found ur problem, then long off the egr
3rd Jun 13 06:06

Peter

My 2010 VW Golf Plus 1.6 TDI lost all power two days about 2 miles after starting, and the orange coil light came on.
I have owned the car since new 3 yrs 5 months with no faults at all during 60,000 miles and all servicing by VW Dealer Garage.
Theynow tell me it is a leaking EGR Valve caused a seized turbo, other breaks, and a massive buildup of coke in the engine - likely to have been happening since new. No faults reported at last VW service 6 weeks ago.

The cost is £3,000. Should I pay? I need the car for work.
22nd Mar 13 11:03

OMS

The loss of engine power in combination with 20-30 seconds for a cold start might indicate that the speed-sensor is faulty, and that the engine is performing an emergency run having limited fuel and rpm. The reason for the long time needed for the cold start is (as explained by VW) that it takes extended time for the engine control to syncronize the fuel injection in this mode of engine operation.

Dan

dissapointed VW driver,
the problem you are facing is a stuck turbo actuator, what happens is when the car is not driven hard (shifting above 3000-4000rpm regularly) the turbo actuator does not get to work, and gets rusted and seized, common problem on tdis not driven hard, $150 part, and fairly easy to change, (if you have a hoist). Check out TDI Club also for more info,

Dissapointed VW driver

Got a vw golf 1.9 gt tdi 150 2002. the loss of power problem is becoming out of control, could happen 20 times or more in a single journey. putting the Clutch down turning ignition off then on while going along solves it til the next time. Fault (17965 turbo overboost) found by a private mechanic he cleaned pipes and changed a valve but still the same problem. please can anyone help?

sjan

I have a golf 1.9tdi 58, only done 67k there is no power on pick up on motorway, i took car into garage he hooked it up to machine and said stop using supermarket fuel as its cheap Diesel and to use Optimax from Shell, he said they is build up off rubbish,i need to fill tank up and burn out old rubbish. any one else had this problem ? does it work ? thank you

J.A.

After having new cam shaft fitted, some sort of cleaner put through the system and then the turbo cleaned 5 months ago it still goes like a dream . I was told the loss off power happens because the turbo is so sooted up the computer shuts down the power to save the turbo from giving up. Sounds possible to me. I do lots of short journeys so garaged advised me to thrash it in third gear now and again to clear out the soot and that seems to do the trick. I love my 150 golf but when the sad day comes that I have to change it I was advised to buy a petrol as short journeys are no good for 150's but hopefully that day is a long way off.

erin

Well its not the MAF had a new one fitted and still losses power but my throttle valve is leaking oil could that have anything to do with it

boblet

Come to Bradistan watch how they aim & dump German cars. That is my advice to anybody contemplating the purchase of a used German car.
2nd Jul 12 10:07

Fred E

If the MAF is plugged in and producing data which seems OK to the computer the engine light will stay off. The data may however be incorrect and when used produces loss of power. If you remove the connector the engine management system then has to use default values but the light will come on because the computer knows it has been disconnected. So if the engine runs better on default values than when it is connected it is likely that putting a new sensor in will produce good data and the engine will run correctly.
2nd Jul 12 02:07

erin

I have tried that today straight away my engine management light came straight on and was telling on the dash to take to garage which I did and the computer was saying MAF was faulty but when I plugged it back in and cleared the code the light went out
1st Jul 12 09:07

Fred E

Try googling MAF sensor. Apparently doesn't show up on computer. I think you just try disconnecting it and if it runs better with it disconnected you put a new one in £30 ish. There could be lots of reasons for your problem but I think that would be most likely.
1st Jul 12 09:07

erin

I have a 56 plate vw touran 1.9tdi and a few times now but not all the time it losses power and I have to turn the engine off and back on to get the power back I have had it to garage now faults on computer but had the turbo cleaned out but still happens any help out there

Boblet

I have wished that all VW Golf owners wheels fall of & their engines die a slow expensive death. The next time you tailgate or cut another driver up Tracy, remember like me they are wishing something on you & your expensive German heap of crap. I am not superstitious Trace just living in hope.

stacey

paul i have the same problem my vw is now in the garage for the 9th time in 11weeks .ive told vw ill give them 1more day . just lost for words and tired of walking .
3rd May 12 08:05

murkey dismal

Can anyone help me please? I want to know what controls the varying primary fuel pressure between the tandem pump and the injecters.
23rd Apr 12 05:04

J.A.

Regarding the loss of power in my VW Golf GTI TDI 150 2002 -after 2 years of not knowing when it would loose power and the dangers of it, unsure as to whether to have the new turbo that the garage thought may be the trouble costing £1000 ish and unsure if this would cure it, it started knocking in the engine - NEW CAMSHAFT - the top of a hydraulic tappit worn right out also. Now it drives like a dream again. Thanks to my garage - not VW.

Matty D

1991 vw golf gti spudders when i hit the throttle then clears out. What are some reasons???

wacwac86

I just had the same problems with my 110bhp toledo turned out to be a blocked fuel check valve drilled it out and had no problems since

hvjk

change westgate. my golf iv 1,9 tdi the problem is the westgate

spudface

had a vw golf 2004 and every few weeks i had problems

air flow meter went
injectors and rail also went
turbo pipe leaked
turbo then went due to lack of oil from the feed
electrics went due to where the ecu is place got socked in water

would not have another they are crap

m.c diesel services

Im a diesel specialist in luton and i can quite honestly say that most of our work is around a vw or vauxhall. Your golf sounds like either your waste gate is partially stuck or there is a issue with either the waste gate solenoid or vaccum to the solenoid. To check the waste gate you need to vac up the unit with a special vac tool and you should see the waste gate arm move smoothly from its rest position to fully open. If it sticks slightly or only moves a bit you will need to spray some penetrating fluid and work the arm back and forth. This should cure the problem
23rd Oct 11 01:10

Axcoss

I had exactly same problem with my 150 golf after a vw service??. After 2 months and changing nearly everything it turned out to be the injector wiring loom. Been told it's because vw don't actualy use PD oil and the wire casing heats up too much and the tiny metal connectors expand. (not my words) crimped the connectors not had any trouble since. And no one will service my car again I've always done previous cars myself and will stick to what I know

Roger

I have a 1998 Sharan that also lost power in the way you have described, similar symptoms to the air mass meter requiring replacement. It turned out to be a set of vacuum pipes made of rubber that had perished, and as a result a fault code was being generated along the lines of 'inlet manifold pressure fault' or something similar (I am no mechanic). Ask your local mechanic to investigate along those lines and you may get a result at a reasonable cost.

another unhappy vw fan!

Totally agree! They put a computer in should be make life more easy, now they use it as an excuse to charge customer for useless works? :-(

Boblet

TK a toolmaker named Frank Fiddler once advised me to ignore a person who criticised me for doing wrong but never complimented me for doing right. Your thanks are appreciated.
3rd Jun 11 11:06

TheKing

Thanks Boblet, I fixed it with your help , it's all good now
3rd Jun 11 06:06

Theking

Boblet so u cursed my car too :(? I have a similar problem as P, but my gearbox is fine, my car was on random limp mode or loss of power, the fault code is fuel pressure sensor g247 implausible signal, the sensor has recently been changed but the problem is still there, I checked the wires and all seem ok, took the car to a garage to check the high pressure fuel pump and the n276 valve and bang the problem has gotten worse, delays when starting the car, the car will not rev over 5000rpm and now the car won't go faster than 30mph, mine is a golf fsi 1.4 2005 manual. Boblet please take away this curse and find a cure for my car please then I will say it and say goodnight and goodbye to vw cars forever, please help anyone? I tried vw garages before , they couldn't fix it. all suggestions welcome

Boblet

P. You do not say whether your car is automatic or manual, however it sounds like the automatic gear box is low on fluid & has now has collapsed. If it is manual it sounds like the clutch. I take some of the responsibility for your problems I place a curse on German cars each time I am cut up by one.

P

Hi guys, hope you can help.
I have a golf 1.6 fsi. I have had it since 2007 and its getting worse and worse. I have had an engine management light on for the past 3 years, I have had 3 sensors changed, 1 injector replaced, exhaust pipes cleaned,egr replaced, battery changed, gearboxed checked on diagnostics (which has no fault)and still light is on!!!
Now its worse it struggles to change gears and cant go faster than 20 mph without having a massive clunck sound and the car physically jumping!!
I have been to three garages and vw and they always go back to egr on diagnostics, which has already been changed!!!!
This problem is draining, financially and mentally!!
Does any1 know off this problem or can make me some suggestion.

docspur

I have a 1996 VW Jetta with a simumlar problem and it stumped me for awhile and I found the issue was the ignition switch! When I started the vehicle it would return to the run position and go alittle further than normal (wear?) I didn't realize this at first, but very strange things would happen, the engine computer would act like it just received a severe spike of voltage and kick and sputter and loss of power through out the dash and come back as fast it came. The engine would jump,miss, die and act like it was starving for fuel at times and always happen at the worst moment when in heavy traffic. I hooked to my scanner and checked for codes, none! Disconnected the battery for one hour and reconnected and still it would happen ever so often.Ran fuel cleaner, tune up kit, checked timing and at wits end I did some serious thinking and came accross this issue on and old Chevy Malibu that had dead spots in the key switch. So I was test driving the Jetta and started playing with the key switch and low and behold it start doing all kinds of issues. Replaced switch and have never had an issue since.
22nd Apr 11 02:04

LEE

I have been havin the same problems with my GOLF GTI T for the last year and it's costing me every time .
22nd Mar 11 05:03

Mark V

Same problem im having now with VW Bora 1.9TDi Auto. Paid VW £650 to do what they blamed as solenoid valve. Just paid another £115 for VW specialist to reset computer, check hydrolic fluid etc but still same problem........ Help Me!!!!!! Cant afford any more money or another car.

Gary

It sounds like there is carbon build up on the vanes of your turbo. It needs cleaned, reconditioned or replaced. I have the exact same problem. Don't go to a dealer they will just screw you.
3rd Mar 11 10:03

Boblet

I have just finished watching a cooking programme on BBC2. Martin Dorey in his VW campervan. the van went Kaputt.

Boblet

Well Jimbob it appears my solution to your whistling Passat has been removed,

Jimbob

I have a 56 plate passat tdi and the turbo is whistling like mad when low revs, any solutions guys ?

silly billy bill

sounds like your a clever "dick" im not saying it will solve your problem cos there are so many things it could be & yes I have been lookin on the common faults for some time you've not looked on this page cos someone has said about puttin somethin in there car that made it smoke thought i'd try a strong mix of injection cleaner in it & it worked it's never run better so ha

Treads

Sounds like your a moron! Check around for the common faults ont the internet. That is sooooooo common on the Golf TDi

bill

i've had the same problem i've just spent £5.99 on some injector cleaner I can't beleave it it's solved it thought it was gonna cost me loads but it's just cost me a few pounds well worth a try

Boblet

When are you german car owners going to realise that Germans love to compicate the engineering process, they do not like simple things they always add a pully or a valve or bracket that is totaly superfluous, Our Heath Robertson did it for fun your German does it to make people think they are good engineers
23rd Jan 11 06:01

Tom

If your car has ever had the battery changed this may cause the car no to remember when to accelerate. Just pump the accelerator and it may kick in. Otherwise you can try just turning the key but don't start the car and pump the accelerator for 5 seconds lightly.

I've also replaced the tailight bulb on my car and basically had the same overtaking problem that you have. Sometimes my car sticks in high revs (3500-4000) when going 80mph. But if I get close to 100mph then it shifts gears. Never had this problem with any gm ford Volvo or fiat that I have owned . Also you may have had the windows open when you stick the key in the lock and press the button on it by mistake. Why vw made their key do this is beyond my comprehension . But hey it zips around corners and os a good city car, although my mpg was better on my 1978 Chevrolet impala. I hope it lasts at least 10000miles more. Wish I had bought a Volvo!
23rd Jan 11 05:01

Nick McCartney

Your turbo actuator is siezing up causing overboosting. The ecu is detecting this and cutting the power. New turbo mate
21st Jan 11 09:01

boblet

Bora, Golf. Audi, Bmw. cars, are all the source of bad feeling in ordinary drivers, due to the I must overtake attitude of their drivers, I am not surprised when they break down. I have wished for it so often after I have been cut up on the M62 by a bully german car usualy driven by an Asian. I wish all the time that they will breakdown and there must be hundreds like me.
3rd Jan 11 11:01

bora 115

Hi got the turbo recondtiond and had a oil chainge naw the car works fine!
2nd Jan 11 10:01

anon

what do you expect?? It is a 17 year old car - even vw's have a shelf life.

Buy a new one and stop moaning
2nd Jan 11 09:01

KIM HARP

We are unfortunate owners of a 1994 VW Golf TDI. It has been one repair nightmare after another. ERG pipe found with a split in it that was effecting the power..... then a bolt worked its way out into the transmission..... had to get another transmission..... then the engine blew a cylinder..... so now the engine is out of the car....
2nd Jan 11 12:01

th

This sounds like a fuel problem. Check the fuelpump or some electronics related to this.

madmaxis

Problems with loss of boost could be caused by so many things. Firstly are there any faults in the engine E.C.U? Poss causes are split vac pipes, clogged air filter, faulty N75 valve or a seized turbo.

QBB- London.

Hi paul. had the same problem with my 2001 1.9tdi golf 110hp. turbo used to cut out just like you mentioned. took it to vw and told me air mass meter and turbo needs replacing nearly a grand in total so I got them to change air meter but still had the problem. Then took it to my mechanic and he told me nothing wrong with the turbo and gave me something to mix with the diesel next time I filled up. took it for a drive on the motorway lots of black smoke came out when accelerating. Problem solved. Not sure what this stuff was called but cost me 15 quid. have not seen this forsale in halfords or any other shops. maybe just a dirty turbo after all. I never go to vw main dealers anymore , they just rip people off.

bora 115

ok thanks mate, wil get my turbo reconditiond asap and hopefully this wil do the job!

Andy H

Hi Bora 115 No, the air filter made no difference! So, yes it was the turbo that was shot hence the reconditionded one that has now done the job

bora 115

Hi Andy H did the air filter maike eny diffrence for eny amount of time?as I have chainged my filter and has been fine but then the other night I had the turbo cut out when hitting 80 mph,but has been fine since. do you think it was the turbo what was wrong in the end with your car?

Andy H

In response to Bora's note, I had changed the air filter (which was really dirty) but but this made no difference to me in the end - I still shelled out £800 - but it's OK now!

Well worth trying the air filter though first as it is only £10 and will help MPG anyway!
Cheers

bora 115

Hi relaiting 2 the post about loss of power when over reving or exeeding 80mph.iv just bought a bora x reg and had the saime problem with turbo cuting out.then turn off and on and turbo wil work agen til the next time you over rev.i was told that it could have been a number of diffrent things.but for me all it was was a dirty air filter stoping enuff air geting through.i replaiced the filter and naw works like a new 1.hope this post can help some of you with the saime problem and saive you some money by checking this first befor taiking it 2 a garage.

susan

I have the same problems. wish I had not bought this car. was at 100mph on m25 the other night and it cut out. my old puma at 160000 was a much better car
21st Nov 10 08:11

kinglfc

s reg golf 1.4 petrol runs up and down and the accelarater dose not rev up fully

Andy H

Well, further to my post regarding the Seat Leon.... it now appears to be working again, it should be - £800 later!!
Was wondering if a new turbo requires the ECU to remap itself to it as it appears that the boost kicks in at about 2200 rpm (was 1800) so slightly different characteristics
Anyway, it's looking good, but time will tell!!

The Guv.

I have just bought a 2001 1.9 TDI Polo estate with 70k on the clock and a fair bit of VW service history. The car is an expensive pile of crap, loss of power and stutters and often cuts out when cold, garage told me today that it needs a new turbo £1500 + vat. I have always driven Ford cars with no problems at all, i'm getting a focus again I reckon. I bought VW because of their reputation as solid cars but the amount of complaints you can find online about VW's has put me off for life.

Bob

I had exactly the same problem on my Golf TDI 130 (51 reg). I took it to VW 3 times and each time they ran a 'lab' check and said there were no faults. I eventually had to break it, or wait until the turbo faulted then take it, like an ill dog, to the garage for the chief mechanic to sit in it and try to drive it (having not turned the engine off), for him to 5 seconds later turn to me and say 'the turbo's gone pal' - it was ridiculous. they wouldn't even refund my previous diagnostic checks - bring back the old days of mechanics knowing what is under a bonnet!

Andy H

Power loss on Seat Leon TDi 110bhp 65,000 miles - limp mode at 3000 revs, switch off then OK, going uphill change down and most times it will lose power, that's the frustration, you can't trust it to go, so overtaking is rare.
Had new MAF, no change, replaced turbo with reconditioned one and N75 valve, no change - so far spent £800 and still no good,
Why can't anyone fix it???
Has anyone any ideas what else it could be???
Car is 8 years old had from new, and upto this year has been unerringly reliable, but this!!!
Probably put up with it for 6 months then go back to Japenese!
22nd Sep 10 08:09

Ex VW Tech

I have to admit, I have a ford focus, best buy ever

discojag

Sorry to hear about your problems. I too made the mistake of buying a Golf. In over 40 years of motoring it was easily the most unreliable car we have ever had; the only time I had to call the RAC out was for this car (twice). I fully agree with the previous correspondent, even changing a bulb is a "pain". You have to remove the battery! My wife developed a painful knee from the heavy clutch and poor seating angle; she now drives a Corsa automatic, a big improvement!

Ex VW Tech

So can you remember the faults it was showing, I have not worked with VW for about a year now, but remember a bulletin about loss of power, required a wire to be renewed from ecu to maf sensor.
Fault codes would be helpful

ross

mine's,exactly,the,same,m8t,im,going,to,replace,the,injectors,first,got,a,good,feeling....

JOHN THE GARAGE

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THE MK4 GOLF TDI IS THE OWNERS,THEY BUY THEM AND THEN DONT SERVICE THEM,I have loads of these come to my garage for servicing,they dont have any problems,then I get these problems come through and they are always neglected,
VW say they can be serviced every 20 k rubbish,service them on a regular basis and they are fine,Rag them and look after them,if you just Rag them you will have problems,and if you would rather have an Escort you had better invest in a good welder

Tez

Sorry to hear you have no faith in your golf but, I had a similar problem and tried various things. In the end up it was sticking worn vnt nozzles on the turbo, the one intergrated in the manifold. The loss of power was the turbo overboosting and shutting itself down, switch off and back on and was fine for a while. diagnostic crap wouldnt pick it up, just a thourough hands on mechanic. £275 2 day repair and away we went, and never looked back. Prob too late now but just in case you still have the car. Ta, TEZ...

Sulky

Yes, my golf is currently in the garage having had the same problems for a year now!! Started with the simple, non expensive items first since the computer reported no faults. Changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, throttle body, coil pack, exhaust. Put it in for full diagnostics and still no faults showed. Back in today and this time they are changing the air flow meter. Needless to say I shall not be recommending a golf as a reliable car to even my worst enemies!!

garry

what is the best way free turbo vanes? cause I have that problem!
1st Sep 10 11:09

rick

Very common problem, will be turbo vanes sticking. Various ways to clean them and when done will be fine.
1st Sep 10 09:09

John Turpin

I tend to agree, my Golf suffered a small end failure, VW were not interested, and when it came to repairs they only sold sets of pistons and conrods. The engine was rebuilt with a re-engineered conrod and bush. 5000 mile later it has failed again with an even louder banging noise from the engine. The engine is too complicated and squeesed in, so very difficult to work on. VW garage rate are now over £70 per hour. Buy a cheap easy to service car (if one exists nowadays) and ditch the Golf.

John Turpin
31st Aug 10 12:08

SEF

Yeah new cars are way too complex. What is the need in all the high tech mechanics when it actually makes the car not only a lot less reliable but also alot more expensive to have repaired??? I had these problems with my 2005 VW Passat, which had its fuel injectors, turbo and oil pump all fail in between the 89,000 and 94,000 mile mark. Talk about the good old reliable 'people's car', theyve really let that one go now they know they can get away with it and still make even more money by practically designing their cars to break down outside warranty so we have to spend tonnes of our hard earned cash on all their useless tech.

Albion1968

Golf 2.0 GT DSG Big Problems injectors: I've had exactly the sames problem, engine cut out roughly 6 months ago, display reported "ENGINE FAILURE GARAGE" which would have been nice although I was 200 mile away from home. Got a bill for roughly £1000 for wiring loom and an injector, then for the next 3 months received a bill each month for £800 problem totaled £3500.00 I will never ever buy a VAG VW Golf again absolutely disgusted be careful!!!!!
22nd Aug 10 11:08

VMturbo

Just had a couple of other thoughts. Watch out for dodgy fuel knackering the common rail pump. This happened to someone I know who used containers that had once held truck cleaner to store fuel. It seems that traces of detergent reduced the lubricity of the fuel and destroyed the pump. Anyhow the car (Citroen) gradually became jerky to drive and finally clapped-out completely. All was restored with a good used pump (£150 at a breakers) Lorries with old fashioned Simms pumps don't seem to be affected if the fuel is a bit iffy. Good luck with the problem.
31st Jul 10 09:07

VMturbo

Very sorry to hear about incompetent garages. Problem is that you are expecting too much. In general Main Dealers are there to sell cars, change the oil, filters and disc pads and stamp the guarantee books. I had an Audi 100 2 litre petrol (bought cheaply with a suspected fault) I discovered later that the fault that I finally nailed had beaten three or four previous owners and ALL their garages. It was very devious but simple. Local journeys OK, 100 to 120 mile journeys in winter OK. Summer not so good. Perished "O" ring in the K-Jetronic losing pressure when the fuel was heated. At a big VAG main dealer that I limped to I explained how many parts had been changed and they basically crapped themselves and pushed me out onto the double yellow lines. Can't get the right staff any more.

Now your fault is probably aged injector wiring in the plastic tray on top of the engine. This wiring is renowned for failing (not to some main dealers though! - and one has had about £3K from a mate with SFA achieved. Changed head, cam injectors and turbo to no avail) Please also note that the power unit will move during acceleration and flex the wires. As to Fords - another mate had a Ford Fiesta that would stall on a hump back bridge. On the flat it was OK and as he always ran on empty......Pity it was drizzly and dark and a pity that the car was black. Anyhow I rigged up a lawnmower tank on a roof bar and it was still the same so it was off to the pub. Next day I noticed that a wire had come off the ballast resistor and was shorting out when the engine was pulling hard. Wasn't lean mixture or a bad "condenser" at all. Duh! Think I earned my pint. on that one!
31st Jul 10 09:07

Luke Boswell

I have had the exact same problem with my golf and it is just getting worse and costing me more than what I paid for it

CHRIS_MC

if its a 110 probably a AHF engine (non pd) im in the process of stripping my engine because my belt snapped, ive experienced the same problem, only really saw it on the motorway at speed.......

suggest de-coke the inlet manifold (mine is caked with tar)

pogo 123

I hear you brother have a mark 4 golf tdi whith exactly the same problem only way to cure is to rag the back side off it I n second gear thus clearing the turbo of the build up or carbon deposits will not do its usual thing for about 2weeks then do it again

saber

Hi,i dont know what to say ,i have same problem loss of power when the engine is hot from the 2nd geer.i did full scaner it says no problem at all and I dont know what to do

adam

brillent comment having the same problem with mine, the car is w.a.n.k and thats a nice word to call it...... mk4 golf for sale anyone intrested??????

codenamewayne

iv got a gttdi 150, as iv said power loss turbo tripping out at 80 was told problem with turbo vanes sticking,well that turned out to be right had turbo taken off and cleaned system flushed.now its a different car all together and it only cost me 290 so im well happy

anon

Audi and VW are not what they used to be. Nowadays they are bought by "anyone" and thats no surprise cause they are ordinary cars for very ordinary people.

rye

ive got an audi a4 tdi 110 n mine was the same first time it was the turbo regulating valve second time it was cos a boost pipe had a split an keped turning all boost off as soon as its swiched off an on powers back until the car strugeled

mick

did ne1 ever fix problem with gt tdi golf? I have same problem where I have turn on off car for turbo work again. mine is gt tdi 110 bhp

Wez

Hi, I have a VW TOURAN 2.0FSI, petrol, I have just driven back from devon approx 280 miles without stopping and have had at least 6-7 occasions of total power loss. This did happen on the way down there and it seems it does this after approx 125 miles at speeds of 75mph +. What I noticed on the way back is that it will not accelerate above 3000rpm which isnt too bad in 6th as I can reach 75mph but as soon as I try to accelerate it just stutters and starts loosing power. To resolve this I have to pull over and switch off for about a minute then the car resumes as normal in fact for a little while it seems on top form. Is this a problem with the ais mass meter, any suggestions?

amadeu

why take it to vw? try someone ells cheaper my one as 120000 no problems never been at the dealers??
31st May 10 12:05

martin

Hi Paul this problem is in your fuel injectors or your boost control on your turbo if its a pd engine its most likey a wiring problem as vw placed the injectors and wiring loom for them under the rocket
cover where they mix with the engine oil they have had lots of trouble with them but dont do it under warranty

Martin

bashman40

Hi iv had the same problem with my VW PD 130 engine Bora iv changed the boost solenoid, mass airflow metre and cleaned the EGR Valve I think it be what spud said to clean the actuator and replace the vacuum pipe, IF ITS NOT THAT THEN ITS GOT TO BE THE TUBBO!
23rd May 10 09:05

Saj

Hello. I have the same problem with my Boar tdi which is loosing power. When I turn the car off and on again all goes back to normal. I have also noticed that it happens when the car is cold. I work 20 miles from where I live. When I leave home it take me good 30 minuets to reach the dual carriageway, by then the car is worm and it doesn’t loose power. When exiting workplace I reach the dual carriageway with 5 minuets, as soon as I speed up to 70mph the car looses power and doesn’t accelerate past 70mph and feels really "sluggish". It’s like the Turbo isn’t working. Can anyone help please?

Boasse

Get them to check the vacuum pipes on the engine - I had exactly the same problem on my Mitsubishi L200 2.5TD, with the added embarassment of the dreaded "diesel driver smoke" when I put my foot down. They diagnosed it straight away to be a blocked vacuum pipe, causing overboost. Once changed, it's a different truck, altogether. Do you get a management light if you rev it really high up the range? That was my symptom.

codenamewayne

hello all, thought id sorted out problem but its come back again, been told its the turbo vanes sticking by a pro.he told me these vw golf tdi's need oil change up to 3 times a year or thats what happens with the turbo they get blocked with corb and start to stick giving loss of power and sending car in to limp mode at high speed,so only thing for me to do is have the turbo taken off and get the system flushed (all turbo pipes cleaned out) before getting turbo put back on or turbo will get the same problem sooner or later from corb build up.its not goin to be cheap to get done!

Mary Farrell dublin

We have a '04 volkswagen golf and are experiencing the same problem. So far this month we have paid out €800 aprox, when we got the car back last week having had the fan belt and the temperature guage replaced the fault became worse. We are bring the car back today for the third time to try to locate the problem, the garage (a volkswagen dealer where we bought the car and always had it serviced there) say there is no problem they can find. As far I I am concerned it is a dangerous fault and the cars should be recalled and the problem dealth with by volkswagen.

codenamewayne

I had the same problem with my golf gt tdi 150 loss of power and turbo tripping out when getting to 80 mph and then goin in to limp mode turn key off and on again all went back to narmal. iv replaced maf sensor still had problem, then boost solidnoid still had problem, so iv just changed hose on the egr valve cost me a fiver from vw garage, im thinking thats sorted out the problem as the car runs miles better and theres no power loss anymore. fingers crossed hey
21st Apr 10 09:04

Jules the pilot

I have a 150 HP Golf and experiencing the same power loss. Seems clear to be the turbo not workign or ventign the gasses. Garage replaced an injector and wire loom and still have the problem. Someone must have experience of this

Hart

Thank you Hot air You could be right. Whining noises are hard to predict as they can be from anywhere. I will let it run in a bit more and see if it settles. VW are old fashione and want you to take it easy for the first 1500km like the old days of running in although in those days, unlike now, you got wee problems sorted out at the first 1000 miles! Agree that a 3 Cylinder engine, although economical, has no guts for heavy work but it suits my needs. Thank you once again.

Hot air

Hart,

The aircon belt would account for that. It may be loose causing the whine when it slips on its pulley wheel. The loss of power would be be accountable to the belt warming up from friction and then gripping, kicking in the aircon. In a car with such a weedy engine, the aircon will be a burden similar to the effect of two extra passengers suddenly dropping into the vehicle as and when the belt grips and does its job normally. Who needs aircon in this weather anyway?

Hart

Bought new 2010 VW Polo 1.2 60ps. After only 400 miles noticed high pitched whine from the cover which apparantly houses the top end of the timing chain. This only occurs when engine is very hot or aircon is on and after engine cools it disappears. Took it back to dealer but it had cooled down and there was no whine noise. Any suggestions what it might be before I take it back again.

tucker

hi the problem is that you have been using a main dealer
this type of fault is not common to a main dealer but it is to a used car vw dealer / garage
the fault will be fault with fuel pressure in the head / injector leaking the pressure. the vas tester will not pick this fault up as there are no fuel pressure sensor in the head ..

lazaza

my golf is 2002 modle it opens the injectors for too long ,and it makes the car to pore too much petrol on the engene
23rd Mar 10 06:03

spud

Hi I know this doesn't solve the problem of the "Stealers" taking your money (however do try and complain to your local trading standards you have a good case!!!)

I have had a few VW's with this fault and have found it to be a problem with the Variable vane venturi on the turbo Actuator!! take it apart and squirt wd40 down the pipe and hey presto all solved for a few quid!!!

Tomo ire

Hi, I have the same problem, did you ever the problem fixed?
I drive a 2003 golf and under pressure or just random times the power is lost, I just switch off the key and switch it back on and its fine, it usually happens a few times under the first 50 miles, but after the its fine.

Gainsborough lad.

If only they remade the first model, without all the complicated electronics that seem to go wrong on cars these days, it certainly wouldn't be a non-starter.

r32 rep

the problem is with your waste gate in the turbo . the controle arm breaks from the inside . remove the turbo and you will find the problem

Lilacstar

I am a very angry VW Golf owner, My 2004 model started to lose acceleration and power last october and the garage has the car for over 2 weeks just trying to locate the problem eventually they tole me it was the fuel filters and I had oil being mixed with petrol and had to have 3 new parts fitted, £800 and less than 2 months later it is doing exactly the same again!!
Anyone got any ideas what could really be the cause? As so many of us are experiencing this does anyone else think it's VW fault and they should pay??
3rd Feb 10 09:02

T.

Following previous post, I have read on and can't believe the number of people with exactly the same problem! It seems I need to either strip down the turbo and clean it thoroughly or buy that new turbo. But honestly, come on VW, what sort of customer back up is this? You should be able to look after your customers better than this! -enough to say you've just lost another one! New car isn't a VW I'm afraid.

T.

Hi. my car is a 2000 golf,gt tdi 130k miles and is a great runner. had it since new. Had new air mass meter and has exactly the same problem. Garage says I need a new turbo. going to sell the car soon so I don't want to spend the £600. Car too good to scrap and isn't eligable anyway.

Mr_T

Hello again

For anyone who has been told they need a new turbo click on the link below and scroll down to "2. Bad/sticking VNT actuator or turbo vanes". This is not only a problem on VW's. All turbo's on car's 2000 onwards have this type of tubo as far as I am aware.

Jimbo

so where can I get a replacement EGR valve for a 1.6 fsi mkv Golf? help please
31st Dec 09 05:12

Jimbo

1.6 fsi ...engine warning light on/off poor acceleration, superunleaded petrol ..help please, can't sell, very stressfull.

taffy

ive had a mk1 gti no probs and 2 mk2 gti and never had any trouble with them that I couldnt fix myself.Since ive had the mk4 tdi it,s been nothing short of a money pit. And like you said they are to complicated for their own mechanics..

ash

I had the same problem with my bora tdi it was 1 of the turbo timer pipes so I got some pipe and changed them all and it fixed it cost me £5

arnold

I had a VW Golf back in the 80's and it would cut out too for no reason anytime. Shops tried everything. Listened to Car Guys sometime after the problem was fixed and it turned out to be a bad ground on the fuel pump. Fixed it and volia that was it. Good luck. Cars Guys were right on that one.

hob nobby

hi, im with you on this one. I have exactly the same problem, my cars a year younger, but my garage mechanic (who I trust - independant) is stumped. All they can suggest is the wastegate valve.... im gonna try it but when do you stop throwing money at the car. if you get any cures post it, I will do the same.
3rd Oct 09 08:10

b3 abt

your fault is the egr valve sticking, replace and fault wil cure.
paul
vw audi specialist/for over 18yrs
2nd Oct 09 05:10

Lecyviolin

the fsi golf has to be run on superunleaded petrol if you want full performance! I was mis-sold one of these and spent the years warranty period returning it for sorting as the salesmen assured me it would run on ordinary unleaded.Rubbish. I've given up and use super and will sell and continue to harrass VW to tell fsi buyers the truth.

Ross G

I complained of similar problems when my Golf went in for its service in April. Was told there was nothing wrong with it. In the last couple of weeks it has refused to start or at least been tempremental then I was driving along the motorway when all acceleration dissappeared and I had to force the car to its destination in 1st gear. Turns out to have been a problem with the fuel injection which was replaced as the engine management light lit up when the acceleration went in the car. Had it back for 4 days now and so far, it has started like a dream every time and I can once again feel free to overtake cars without worrying its going to die on me! (Have already traded it in though!)

paddy

cant beleive they/you havent realised its the egr unit and/or the intake manifold, I had this problem, googled it and found it was the ger, bought a new allard power pipe and problem has gone away

Jim P

my son-in-law has same sort ofd runaround weith golf 1.6.

Agree, none of us could ever recommend VW ever!

naildriver

I have the same prob do I change the turbo or the landis pulse sensor ? can any one help ?
22nd Aug 09 04:08

Piet

I have the same problem with a 1.6fsi petrol. Seems petrol related as filling up often stops the problem. Then we went to France! We filled up with BP and it got much much worse. Swiching on and off seemed to reset it so that it would be fine till the next time. (no fun in the Alps I promise) It also only happens when the engine is hot.

Mick

Your problem is related to a thing called the landis pulse my old man is a mechanic and hes had to fix loads of them as idiotic so called mechanic's in main dealers only know what the computer tells them the problem there is this fault does not show up on the computer once you get this fixed (a minor operation) the car will be fine I hope this helps

Eugene

Getting your car serviced by a main dealer doesn't mean squat half of the time the main dealer doesn't no how to fix a problem the only good thing a main dealer is good for is buying a brand new car or buying genuine parts there is just to much electrics in cars now days there designed to break down so the dealer can get more money out of you all the old cars that didnt have a ecu last longer and are better build

jay

vaines in the turbo caked in soot cure is to take turbo apart and clean or see if the arm for the turbo itself is siezed easy fix...

Ian

Regarding cd22's sudden loss of power. On the BMW 320d that is often caused by the turbo pressure regulator(convertor). This controls vacuum to the variable turbo actuator. If the car has a "moment" through the faulty regulator then there is over boost and the car drops into safe mode.
Just a thought.

0098sando

my vw bora tdi looses power if I switch engine of its ok for a while I have replaced airmass meter

Munsterman71

I have a 52 Plate Golf Gt Tdi 130- Car cuts out straight after starting (Seems like fuel starvation when parked up for 8-10 hours) Problem disappears when Tank Half full & over. Worse if parked facing uphill. Filter, T-Piece Valve & Tank Fuel sender replaced- not fixed. Repeated priming & turnover gets it started & then no problem. Anyone out there got a similar fault or fix. My VW dealer has a put a one way valve in the return line to try hold fuel in the system. Has anyone heard of problems with the Tandem Pressure pump on the block?

same victim

I bought a VW first time and dicovered power loosing problem.Cylinder rings,head gasget, lamda sensor,timing belt, fan belt changed and serviced cost £600. After all got more problems.I don`t know what to do save it or bin it?

VW victim

I had same problem plus others spent 600 not solved

Carole Resplandy

Dear Gripe, Just read about Paul and loss of power with Golf, I have the same thing, not £500 to repair quoted £1,500 Turbo another £1,500 for ESP, a joke, have written to WV Wolfsburg

SANJ

Vw's are excellent up until the mk4 after which point not only vw all manufacturers have over complicated designs,
basically because when these modern electrics work there good, when they fail its a hastle!!
therefore the most ideal year of cars is between 1996 to 1998 these models have just enough electrics and engines which can be fixed with a spanner and common sense !! haha hence the reason I love old cars

I have a 1992 polo 1 litre with no rust on it, no problems starts and runs like it was new just maintained it wll I guess

cd22

I have encountered a similar problem in my VW Golf GT TDI. When driving on the motorway yesterday I had a sudden loss of power, I could not get any more than 2500-3000 rpm and no more than 55-60mph. I called out my breakdown cover who thought this may have been a fault with the turbo. The car was put into the garage this morning and they have said that the turbo is fine. Has anyone any idea what may be causing this problem?

Turbo Lover!

Also, yeah, go to an independent garage, dealer mechanics suck for the mystery problems, they usually just go by what a book/pc program tells them to do....no knack for solving issues. Good luck`

Turbo lover!

From what you are saying, and the fact that your car is a turbo, it sounds like your problem is electrical, most likely the plugs. You might even be using the wrong sparkplugs. Many people swear by the platinum spark plugs, and they are good, but not for a turbo car. Look up some facts on spark plugs and turbo cars on the internet, you will see many similar complaints. I forget the exact name but NGK makes great plugs for turbo cars. In any case it is a very cheap experiment to try, and it might even solve your problem. Good luck!!

Mrs V

I can only heartdley agree with these comments. I am currently experiencing loss of power and continual trips to the garage when the engine management light keeps coming on. Surprise,surprise no fault is ever found except for the cruise control switch..... I couldn't care less about crusie control just fix the damn car!! I have now had 3 "Knox" sensors repaired at nearly 1000.00 worth of work. Forgive me cause I am female and don't know a lot about cars but just give me one that runs smoothly. My mother is currently on her 8th possibly 9th Golf now and wouldn't go past them... heaven only knows why! A complete piece of s****!!!! Why we sold my hubbies focus I don't know.

Pete

I have had similar problems with a VW 2.0 TDi GT company car. I have had about 20 occasions now where it has lost all power or steering, often on motorway with dangerous consequences. Car has been into the local VW dealership seven times, they are unable to diagnose the problem, they do some work, claim it is fixed, return it and the problem re-occurs. To date it has had a new steering rack, new air mass meter, two re-wires, ECU and relay work. I was travelling on the motorway this weekend following the most recent spate of guesswork by the garage and lost all power once more causing a near miss with a motorbike. The car is back in the garage! Leaseplan, who the vehicle is leased through are happy to just keep passing the car back to me despite my constant complaints about the potential danger and inconveniences caused by the defective vehicle.

Mechdad

I have experinced power loss in other makes of vehicle. The remedy has been change of the exhaust pipe.This is due to choking in the silencer and purifier canister.
21st Apr 09 01:04

Paropilot

I agree with your correspondent when he says VW cars are now too complicated for the dealerships to maintain. Even though VW sacked all its smaller dealers a few years ago apparently for this very reason.
My new Golf required a new brake servo at about 4000 miles. After its replacement I noticed the brake pedal felt soft and took the vehicle back. The service manager told me next day that the brakes had been bled and that I would get used to the different feel of the car. On taking back the car its brake pedal felt little or no different, engaging the brakes at about 50mm of travel and continuing downwards for another 50mm or so until it hit the floor.
I was a qualified aircraft engineer but this guy had me doubting my own judgment. So I had the vehicle inspected by an independent motor engineer who confirmed that there was something wrong with the braking system. The dealer kept it for a couple of days, then admitted that the system had not been properly bled. It seems that the Golf brakes must be bled six times, the last using a computer.
We have had Golfs since the Mk 1. This will be our last, next time it's Toyota or Lexus.

wayno

Power Failure what a surprise everyone has the same problem I have just had new boost actuators fitted and a new waste gate and still turbo cuttin out luckily for me its on warrenty the garage I bought the car from is picking it up tomoz for new turbo fitted hope this works as for bad starting I put a bottle of diesel redex in the other day and it starts with no hesitation now

RUSSCALL

you need a new turbo mate, the ecu turns the turbo off to stop engine damage,we do loads of them
1st Feb 09 08:02

Gareth

Can I make a brief comment. I too have a Golf, a Two Litre 115bhp model. I suffered from a stuttering, juddering engine and mysterious losses of power. I took it the car to an excellent Independent VW garage in London called Peter Norris in Clapham. They had my car in for two days and ran all the diagnostic checks and discovered that the faults were basically, worn Spark plugs & ignition cables, a malfunctioning engine temperature centre and also malfuctioning electrical cables to the fuel injectors in the cylinders. All was replaced and my Golf is now running very smoothly indeed.

With regards to getting my car fixed, I always prefer to go to good Independent VW garages, I also know a good one in Cardiff called N & G Motors. I feel that independent garages who deal with VAG cars are more likely to really try and resolve your problem, since such work is their bread & butter. Main dealers who make as much money off selling cars and vans etc may not pay as much attention to the repair side of things as the independents.

flighty

I own a 2001 VW Bora 1.9td1 110bhp. I have had this car for 4 years 3 of which have been spent with no boost and having to turn the engine off to reset it. I changed air mass meter, and boost control valves all without success. I turned down the offer of the turbo re-building last year. I wish I had had it done now. Now even though I love the car I am considering part exchanging it. If the turbo is re-built how long is it likely to last before it happens again??

AlangolfOxford

My VW Golf GTI keeps cutting out, a mechanic friend cannot find the fault, is this a common fault with the 2000 cc GTI ?

Wallace

hello, I have a 51 plate golf gt tdi 115, I bought it for £4,500 and have had the same loss of power problems, they replaced the intercooler, didnt do it, the solonoid switches, still didnt work, the camshaft censor still didnt work, the boost valves and STILL DIDNT WORK, Im only 17 and the bill is hitting £3000 for repair already, and on monday they stripped out the whole turbo, and the end result is I need a new turbo, costing, with labour the best part of £1000, so at 17 I have spend over £8,500 on a 51 plate golf. Which isnt right. Is it? and its happening so much like people say on this site but they still dont know what the problem is. BUT I TELL YOU NOW. BEFORE THEY CHARGE YOU FOR ALL THE EXTRAS. it is the TURBO , one of the veins inside gets trapped open, causing too much boost! so the car tells the computer system to shut the car down to save damage!!!

faz

Sorry posted half of the last post, its a problems with the turbo being stuck it needs to be cleaned out using innotec urbo cleaner if thats doesnt solve it then a strip down of turbo and cleaned. not a big job if innotec is used.

FAZ

Get more information on loss of power issues by logging in on volkswagen and audi forums
OR EMAIL ME ON fazzy2005@hotmail.co.uk FOR MORE INFORMATION

Amish

Hi there, I also own a VW Golf 1.9 TDI 1999 vehicle and in the last 2 years the power has significantly dropped. It happens when going from 50mph to 70mph, and it is really bad going uphill. I havent taken it to a mechanic yet, but I think its just the wear and tear of a car. Cheers for article though.

Nigel, Plymouth

(I own a 51 1.9 GT TDI) Been there and done it, its a new turbo sorry, its going to sting you the part alone is £1000, the turbo is made by Garrett and here comes the laugh don’t deal with VW they sadly don’t know much about the problem LOL, if you can deal with Turbo Dynamics in Dorset you will find the light at the end of your tunnel and they will sell you the latest model, yes that’s right the turbo you require has had several modifications so its probably on the 3rd or 4th generation! Guess which generation is being sold on ebay? 1st or 2nd? be careful buying 2nd hand or new old stock, you might regret the day? You might be buying problems? Or the old generation model again. “Cavaet Emptor” let the buyer beware.

very_unhappy

I have a 170bhp diesel Golf GT. When at running temperature and above 2000 rpm, when the turbo kicks the engine judders with power loss. No problems until the engine warms up. All tests on the vehicle show all components operating correctly. It's been with the main VW dealer for two weeks now. Nobody seems to know the answer. They replaced all the runnung gear to no avail. They have reprogrammed the ECU twice with updates - to no avail. Anyone else got the same problem with a Golf GT?
21st Nov 08 01:11

tomsgranny

So sorry to hear all of your problems with the turbo power loss, I have been experiencing this problem in my 2000 GT TDI, for over 5 years, endless mechanics saying I was imagining the problem, I usually get the power loss in 5th or 6th gear on the motorway and overtaking which is scary it turns the car into a very heavy low powered vehicle. I love my car and have persevered with it. I don't use VW mechanics - too expensive and inexperienced. I am now an expert at turning off the engine at traffic lights, roundabouts and I know loads of lay bys across the UK, great to know at long last that I am not mad or a crazy stupid woman.

R4V

A bad experience at nottingham vw west bridgeford!! poor customer service and a lack of quality workmanship is being only too kind to this shambles of a dealership!! After going in for a fault they would hapilly send me on my way with a couple more! The dealership is one that severely lacks in organisational qualities and a commitment to customer care, the way I was sent home with fault after fault I found not only expensive but very tedious, especially when dealing with a dealership that suffers with inadequacies throughout. After going away with faults I was forced into contacting the RAC, who in turn are quite the opposite of this incompetent dealership. The RAC man spotted that a replacement part had been fitted incorrectly, which was very kind of vw. The technicians (if I can label them with such a title) also would leave empty boxes under the bonnet as sort of a parting gift.On my first vist I was told a successful repair had been carried out and subjected to a road test. on arrival however I was turned away having been told that the valves were now damaged, a phone call to me would have prevented a wasted journey. I was then contacted a second time to collect my vehicle (polo), on collection I drove the car out of the garage travelling only 200 yards the car overheated and I had to return the car back to the garage. After a further weekend in the dealership I collected the car and after driving for 12 miles I had to contact the rac for the overheating problem, the RAC technician informed me that due to a replacement part being fitted incorrectly is why I have experienced this problem. Overall Iam dissatisfied with my experience at Nottingham VW.

Mallows

I have a Golf 2 litre (petrol) has always been serviced and maintained by a VW main dealer. I have been (and still am) plagued by problems with the engine management system. It has been repaired now on many occasions.
I have written to VW UK ( a completely pointless move, it took them over 10 weeks to reply) and I asked them for a financial contribution as this problem is clearly either poor design or shoddy manufacturing. They did not want to know. I wrote to Germany, who said it is up to VW UK as they are an independent company.
I have looked up the reliability records of VW compared to other motor manufacturers, and they come out very poorly.
I shall never buy another VW.
L

Vicky

I am just writing to say that I will not be buying or recommending a VW again. We have had VW Passat (06)for two years and it has had lots of recalls. Then today we have had it in the garage and the turbo has gone on it. This is now going to cost us 1500.00 because the car has done over 60,000 miles. I am very disappointed the VW would not even consider paying some of the bill as at the end of the day you wouldn't expect this to happen to a 2 year old car. I also have a friend with a VW Passat and she has experienced lots of problems too. She also will not be purchasing a VW again.

ricky gee

YO,,,I know exactly what you mean,I won't go into detail ,,nice cars until that engine warning light comes on £££££,worrying when even the so called experts can't even diagnose the faults,are there any real mechanics nowadays,The VW hype is well over exaggerated.
22nd Aug 08 08:08

Moggy

I've now seen Jim'll fix it's comments but I don't have a turbo so that's no help to me really, interesting that I also have the same fault.

Moggy

I've got a 1996 Golf Cabriolet, I've really looked after it over the five years I've had it but it developed the power loss fault just before last Xmas. So far I have spent about £4-500 trying to fix it. At first I thought it might be the alarms/immobiliser, cost me money to have them disconnected and the reconnected when a Lucas specialist charged me for pronouncing that they were all ok. Then I had a new distributor. No luck. Then I had the filters on the tank changed (just in case), then I had a new relay for the computery stuff. It was ok for a while but it's started again. I'm shocked that this is a common fault, it's extremely dangerous, it broke down on me twice again on Friday both in really awkward places. Question: why couldn't my brother, 40 years a mechanic, find the diagnostic plug? (He thinks its a wiring problem, but which wire and where???? I'm inclined to agree having replaced everything else it could be! I haven't changed the fuel pump yet - apparently there's a thing called a 'lazy fuel pump' and also worn pipes can introduce air into the fuel intake causing loss of suction but again, why intermittent? Question: why has the car developed this fault after 12 years? Doesn't this suggest some wear and tear issue? Pah!

Jim'll fix it

This one is for Paul with the VW Golf GT TDI (110).Your problem is the turbo charger,if you remove it and strip it down on the exhaust side you will find that the variable vanes are all jammed up with carbon and stuck in the full boost position.They can be easily cleaned and reassembled,and replaced on the engine and you will find that all is back to normal.The reason why your engine is always cutting out with a loss of power is that the air mass meter is picking up an abnormal reading in the airflow and sending a signal to the EMS to reduce fuel and subsequently reducing power.

Andy

Hi Paul,

Couldnt agree more. Same problem ditto! Am selling mine too and never going to make the same mistake again.

Lori

My Golf GT TDI has exactly the same power loss as above. Does anybody have any answers to this problem??

Gary

the noise on my GT TDI like a police car is still a mtstery though. Any ideas please?

Gary

Please help I have a noise like a police car following me from inside my Golf GT TDI 04 plate. sounds like turbo noisey or split boost pipes or cam belt roler tentioner bearings as it is a high pitched whistle/whining noise. I have had power failier once on motorway when driving hard for 15 munites 2000 miles ago but not happened since. my three above suggestions are my guess as the VW experts dont know what it is.

alex

solution for same problem is simple - clean fuel tank pump filter

MarkD

I have VW Golf MK4. of late, the engine builds up alot of pressre which is only released when I pull out the oil dip stick or open the oil cover. the engine howeverdoes not overheat. it has recently been serviced but problem still persists. Pressure test has been done suggesting there is no head gasket problem. CAn anyone help?

Mark4

Check your vacuum hoses usualy they cause the problems described and the crap out anywhere in between 50 to 100 thousand kilometers

wayside

anyone know how to remove the battery from a Bora V5? There is a plastic connector boxx mounted on top, that I cannot remove.
2nd Mar 08 08:03

mr muffy

bob re passat 100% air flow meter plug and play fitted second hand from sharran to my golf with same problem instant cure

lemont

Can I put a V5 engine to replace a GTI one in my mark 4?

Mr mechanic.

Anon, your problem sounds like a rotor arm contact distributer failing. But I assume most cars post 1995 - 96 have electronic distibutors.

NB

I have a VW Bora 1.9Tdi Auto 100BHP I have been having problems with my vehicle since day one of purchase ie 19 months. I have had 2 replacement air mass meters a complete acutators rebuild but all to no avail.

I finaly got a call from the garage today to confirm they have found the fault that VW do not want to admit there is a copper seal in the turbo that wears and then sticks allowing excess pressure to build up therefore the pressure sensor tells the engine to go into limp mode reducing the bhp. Once the engine is switched off and on again the sensor resets, but will go agian farely quickly.
you need to either replace this seal or the turbo.

PAJ Jan 08

Just bought a 2006 Golf 2000 GT TDi (2 year old) from dealer in Bath 2 days after I bought it while driving on M4 the power steering went. Very frighteneing and extreamly dangerouse as cannot move the wheel without extream force and even then only move it slowley. Have any one else experienced this.

Bob

I can relate to some of the comments I have just read re. loss off power, loss of accelleration etc. I own a Passat 1.9 tdi which I run as a taxi, I have had 150,000 mls. of trouble free motoring except for the normal problems, ie. cv. boots, water pumps etc.

These problems occur on most cars with high mileage and can be fixed quite cheaply. The problem I have now is when I reach 60 to 70 m.p.h. the power fails and I cannot accelerate at all. If I stop for a few moments, everything goes back to normal until I reach that magical m.p.h. 60-70 when all power goes again, can anyone help?

Stevie V

I can't believe how they have gone down hill. I have a MkII GTI and I haven't had as many probems as what some of you guys have encountered.

It's quantity not quality nowadays.

GBP

My Golf, 05, had a catalogue of faults - loss of power being one that was a long running problem. This has now been resolved! By completely replacing the exhaust/catalytic converter assembly - fortunately all under warranty. It would appear that the cat 'collapsed' internally and even when this was replaced in isolation the problem still persisted. Following on from various sensor replacements it was decided that overtaking was a thing of the past and acceleration was virtually nil. We ended up going back to the dealer last August (car now barely 2 years old) and saying that they could keep it until the problem was solved. They had the car 1 week and upon its return we were told that when the original cat converter collapsed it had blown the debris into the exhaust system - totally clogging it up and reducing performance to the lowest possible level. This, having been replaced, has resolved the problem. We have had a few other glitches - two new rear wheel bearings (under 7K on the clock), new air bag in driver seat, three airbag electronics faults, new cd player and new cruise controller to name just a few

simojo

I too have come across this problem. VW know about it but refuses to recall the affected cars.

dan

We to have a 2003 bora 1.9 130 bhp tdi, the turbo cuts out when worked hard. N75 valve replaced, complete turbo replaced, air mass meter replaced, map sensor replaced, egr valve replaced, and now 2nd N75 just in case first was faulty, VW realy not sure what the problem is, most of this was done after the warenty ran out, so we have had to pay for all parts, but our dealer has swallowed the labour costs so far. VW uk not interested even though problen started under warrenty, this has now been going on for 18 months. This is my 8th new VW, and at this rate probably the last. If anyone can cure it please help.

frazierjames

I own a VW Golf and I took it to my dealer last week because I was worried about the sound that it made on start up(it sounded like a diesel). To my surprise I was told that the engine needed to be replaced. Now I have found that the replacement engine is not exactly new. My Golf is still under warranty and where VW will replace the engine the actual block will not be new all other parts will be or so I am told. What does the term warranty mean "take what we give you" I don't think so. Would like to know if anybody has had such a problem.

Anon

1.6 auto 1999 golf. 73K miles. After 10 mins running the car revs are erratic dropping below the resting rev point and often stalling. I've had new senors, engine flush, sparks etc. Does anyone what might be causing this?

Harry

I have a 91 Seat Toledo 110 BHP TDI. The garage serviced and changed the cambelt. The car is used maily around town, so I did not notice that the tubo would cut out at about 2,800 RPM in 3rd gear on the open road. Any speed over 60 and the turbo would cut.The garage could not detect the fault, and suggested changing all sorts
I have put up with this for 3 years and at last a non franchised garage has put it right. The diesel pump was one tooth out. A result of not fitting the belt correctly
All is ok now and the engine no longer goes into 'safe mode'

Hot stuff

I bought a 2005 1.6 Golf at a year old and it has become sluggish although I have nothing but praise for my VW garage (Hayselden, Doncaster). However just discovered that as far as I can establish the air filter is only replaced at 60,000miles - really!! I reckon that has been my problem having now invested in a K&N filter it is a changed car. Might seem expensive at around £45 but driven in similar fashion I ought to get an extra 2 mpg - paid for in less than a year.
Nigel Currey Yorkshire
23rd Sep 07 06:09

John

VW Golf 19 tdi 1997 80000 miles power loss problem when slowing down it cuts out but not always could do it 3or 4 times a day then not again for aweek turn the key a min and half and it start try before and it doent start changed none return valve on fuil filter and pipes and new filter put small hole in fuil cap any sugestins would be very helpful.

FRED..

Its as if the golf owner above was reading my mind every little detail is exactly the same as with my sharan, the only way I get any respite from the problem is to wipe all the faults off the system while connected to a computer (not easy to get hold of at short notice) but the faults still return after a short while. Wouldnt you think V.W. would accept there is a problem and do something about it instead of turning a blind eye.I shall think twice before buying another V.W.

Peeved.

I have an 02 Passat with the TDI engine and am currently experiencing the same problems as the aforementioned Golf. Following a diagnostic on VAG Com I have changed the N75 valve (controlling the turbo), stripped the turbo VNT mechanism to clear it of carbon (a common and mega expensive problem on these cars) and tried a new air mass meter (once again a common problem) and inspected all vacuum hoses (yes, a common problem). All that is left is to replace the catalytic converter which may be blocked or entire replacement of the turbo. While I have carried out the works myself I recommend that anyone considering purchase of a VW and has limited mechanical knoweledge looks closely first at their bank balance.

enigma1992

That's a pity. You probably want to read up or post your problem in a forum where there is a lot of expertise specific to your car - uk-mkvs.net/

Not all dealers know what they are doing, so it's worthwhile being forewarned and forearmed!

My VW is OK, for now

Well, I've owned a VW Golf for a year and a half now and never had any problems with loss of power or the engine in general. I know other people on forums have reported this. Fingers crossed though. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
3rd Jul 07 08:07