Horse manure on the road is dangerous

As a biker I do not understand why horses are allowed on the road.  Horse riders are for ever complaining about vehicles not giving them room, yet they allow their animals to foul the road.

All you can do is hope and pray...

Don't they realise that when other vehicles, which pay road tax to drive on the public highway, hit this crap it creates a major danger.  I ride to work 20 miles a day through country villages (the most direct route for me). One of these villages is the home of one of the country's major polo clubs, along the main road through the village there are many blind bends.  You are riding along at a safe speed when you lean into a bend and there it is in the middle of the road, worse than ice, where do you go?  All you can do is hope and pray.

Why is it in this day and age where people are fined £500 for letting their dogs foul the verges, is it that horses are allowed on the road?  Why don't they ride around with a shovel on the back of their saddle so that they can remove their own crap.

horse crap in the road On top of this, especially near these polo grounds or hunting sites you have the typical upper class country folk who ride along and look at you as if you were the person who should not be on the road.  Not so long back one of these stuck up b*****s decided that a friends car, which had slowed down to overtake her horse passed to close and smacked it with her whip causing extensive damage.  Funny she hadn't any insurance and was not taking the blame and the Police don't accept it as criminal damage.

In conclusion, why is it that a horse which is not completely under the control of its rider, has a brain of its own, which does not have to pay any insurance or tax to go on the public highway, is allowed to leave its excrement on the road?

By: Duggy

Worzel

Worzel

Dear duggy I completly agree with EVERYTHING you have said.These horse riding barstards just don't care about bikers.The saddle shovel should be made mandantory and if not used the horse from which the emmersion origionated should be turned into burgers
Worzel

Headblock

Headblock

Clip Clop - Happy to spend 3 minutes with you in a boxing ring, hopefully I can knock some sense and humanity into your thick ignorant skull.

For me, as a rider of motorbikes and bicycles, it's not an issue of road tax and rights of way, it's a simple matter of respecting others and their choices - And their right to enjoy their preferred past-times safely. I too live in a rural area and have spoken to a number of local horse riders and in every case they were unaware of the potential hazard that manure presents. I'm sure I've not seen any spades carried, but I have seen one or 2 instances of these local riders return to the crime with spades clear up. Not every time, but it's a start, without laws or risk of sanction.
Headblock

Clip Clop

Clip Clop

Biggest skid risk to the motorcyclists on here is the slimey mess their brains left on the carriageway- as their is clearly little of it left in their skulls!
Clip Clop

jo jo

jo jo

Oh don't fret, most of the big supermarkets have placed orders for the horses in this country. To go in their lasagnas.
jo jo
3rd Jan 16 03:01

GhostOfKarlosTheJackel

GhostOfKarlosTheJackel

These are all fine arguments but it all boils down to people (as the horse has no choice in the matter) leaving the doucy for other people to deal with. Whether this is legal or not, it is a very lazy and selfish thing to do.
GhostOfKarlosTheJackel

wildcat

wildcat

totally agree with you mate , they should be made to pay like us poor motorists . how would they like it if we did the same on there doorstep ??
wildcat
23rd Aug 15 07:08

collar

collar

I think it is very cruel to take these creatures onto the road - anyone can see the poor brutes are terrified, that is why they are only a whisker away from kicking out or bolting. It is once again, these 'posh' people wishing to show off the fact they can afford a horse, and let all the lower-classes on the roads step into our horse doo-doo.
Because of this attitude, I always rev my engine, shout and turn up the wireless set in the car as loud as it will go when I roar past them. Bloody things.
collar

blondie

blondie

Actually any responsible horse rider does have insurance on their horse. Do bikers on cycles?
blondie

Stalag14

Stalag14

Talking about Horse S**t is as bad as the Welsh Language thread.

Hmm........on second thoughts, let's talk about Horse S**t it's more interesting.
Stalag14

marmalade

marmalade

People buy motorcycles to ride fast - that is what they are for. Tight, bending country lanes are meat and drink to riders - they like the challenge I suppose.
In my opinion a man should not buy a motorbike if he is married and has children. It is not fair on the dependents to pursue such a dangerous pastime.
marmalade

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Yes the post below is mine, when I type "gr" into the box below it comes up with all of my name, but for some reason that once it ignored the rest of it.
grumpyoldwoman

gr

gr

Well, where I come from if you go around a bend and come across something you couldn't see before it's called a "blind bend". Maybe the term means something different to you.

Why can't you just stop if you go around a bend on your bike and are confronted by an obstacle in the road? Why do you have to swerve if you are going slowly enough?
gr

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

I'm not going to argue with you GOW but I think you're just putting your own interpretation on it to justify your argument.

Regardless of that it doesn't mean you're travelling too fast. I sometimes round bends and corners to be confronted by various obstacles in the road such as parked cars, vans, skips etc. and need to swerve to avoid them. That's when I'm cycling so I don't think you can generalise and say that you must be travelling too fast for an obstacle to become a problem. I know that because at my age I cannot cycle fast. :-(
Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

"so when going round a bend, you quickly approach an obstacle the size of a large car"

"If he wasn't referring to a blind bend the obstacle would be visible before you go around the bend!"

I think this explains sufficiently.
grumpyoldwoman

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

"it was Kyle who first mentioned blind bends without using the word blind"

Really? Have another read of that argument and then tell me which part of it isn't ridiculous! He clearly didn't mention Blind bends if he didn't say 'blind' did he!

Collar, does the expression "WUM" mean much to you? I think it should.
Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)