Horse manure on the road is dangerous

As a biker I do not understand why horses are allowed on the road.  Horse riders are for ever complaining about vehicles not giving them room, yet they allow their animals to foul the road.

All you can do is hope and pray...

Don't they realise that when other vehicles, which pay road tax to drive on the public highway, hit this crap it creates a major danger.  I ride to work 20 miles a day through country villages (the most direct route for me). One of these villages is the home of one of the country's major polo clubs, along the main road through the village there are many blind bends.  You are riding along at a safe speed when you lean into a bend and there it is in the middle of the road, worse than ice, where do you go?  All you can do is hope and pray.

Why is it in this day and age where people are fined £500 for letting their dogs foul the verges, is it that horses are allowed on the road?  Why don't they ride around with a shovel on the back of their saddle so that they can remove their own crap.

horse crap in the road On top of this, especially near these polo grounds or hunting sites you have the typical upper class country folk who ride along and look at you as if you were the person who should not be on the road.  Not so long back one of these stuck up b*****s decided that a friends car, which had slowed down to overtake her horse passed to close and smacked it with her whip causing extensive damage.  Funny she hadn't any insurance and was not taking the blame and the Police don't accept it as criminal damage.

In conclusion, why is it that a horse which is not completely under the control of its rider, has a brain of its own, which does not have to pay any insurance or tax to go on the public highway, is allowed to leave its excrement on the road?

By: Duggy

wildcat

totally agree with you mate , they should be made to pay like us poor motorists . how would they like it if we did the same on there doorstep ??
23rd Aug 15 07:08

collar

I think it is very cruel to take these creatures onto the road - anyone can see the poor brutes are terrified, that is why they are only a whisker away from kicking out or bolting. It is once again, these 'posh' people wishing to show off the fact they can afford a horse, and let all the lower-classes on the roads step into our horse doo-doo. Because of this attitude, I always rev my engine, shout and turn up the wireless set in the car as loud as it will go when I roar past them. Bloody things.

blondie

Actually any responsible horse rider does have insurance on their horse. Do bikers on cycles?

Stalag14

Talking about Horse S**t is as bad as the Welsh Language thread. Hmm........on second thoughts, let's talk about Horse S**t it's more interesting.

marmalade

People buy motorcycles to ride fast - that is what they are for. Tight, bending country lanes are meat and drink to riders - they like the challenge I suppose. In my opinion a man should not buy a motorbike if he is married and has children. It is not fair on the dependents to pursue such a dangerous pastime.

grumpyoldwoman

Yes the post below is mine, when I type "gr" into the box below it comes up with all of my name, but for some reason that once it ignored the rest of it.

gr

Well, where I come from if you go around a bend and come across something you couldn't see before it's called a "blind bend". Maybe the term means something different to you. Why can't you just stop if you go around a bend on your bike and are confronted by an obstacle in the road? Why do you have to swerve if you are going slowly enough?

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

I'm not going to argue with you GOW but I think you're just putting your own interpretation on it to justify your argument. Regardless of that it doesn't mean you're travelling too fast. I sometimes round bends and corners to be confronted by various obstacles in the road such as parked cars, vans, skips etc. and need to swerve to avoid them. That's when I'm cycling so I don't think you can generalise and say that you must be travelling too fast for an obstacle to become a problem. I know that because at my age I cannot cycle fast. :-(

grumpyoldwoman

"so when going round a bend, you quickly approach an obstacle the size of a large car" "If he wasn't referring to a blind bend the obstacle would be visible before you go around the bend!" I think this explains sufficiently.

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

"it was Kyle who first mentioned blind bends without using the word blind" Really? Have another read of that argument and then tell me which part of it isn't ridiculous! He clearly didn't mention Blind bends if he didn't say 'blind' did he! Collar, does the expression "WUM" mean much to you? I think it should.

collar

Samson, I think it's a bit more than a minority that are posh. I once drove past a posh lady on a horse with the wireless on (quietly) and she waved her big whip at me and bid me ''Clear orf!'' Even if they do not own their own horses they mix with the hoity toity lot, and gain some of their mannerisms. There is nothing wrong with living in a council house, we know a family who used to live in one, and they are nice and polite etc..

grumpyoldwoman

Samson, it was Kyle who first mentioned blind bends without using the word blind; "so when going round a bend, you quickly approach an obstacle the size of a large car going slower than a cyclist, most peoples initial reaction would be to avoid this obstacle and swerve on to the wrong side of the road and for some it could be their last." If he wasn't referring to a blind bend the obstacle would be visible before you go around the bend! There are a lot in the lanes where I do much of my driving, and going around them slowly is essential as you never know what you might find.