Hairdressers who don't listen to what you want

My gripe is with hairdressers who don't listen.  I have just paid ?37 to have a cut and blow dry where I asked the lady to cut my hair short but she refused to do it saying it would not suit me.  I now still have hair annoying the side of my face and short of cutting it myself what options are there?

I hate having my hair cut at hairdressers for this very reason.  I can never get them to cut my hair how I want it, they always do it how THEY want it!

I am 55 and now have a haircut that would probably suit a person who is more like twenty-something.  I have tried various hairdressing salons and have not found one yet that will actually listen to me and cut my hair how I want it to be cut.

My hair is very fine, quite lifeless and tends to look quite messy rather easily, which is precisely why I wanted it cut short.

Hairdressers who don't listen I've tried explaining, but they always know best...

I tried explaining on numerous occasions to hairdressers that I wanted it layered and much shorter, but they always know best, don't they?  I live in North Wales, I'm disabled and most of the time I don't have any transport, otherwise I would head up to Chester and visit a top salon.  Instead I'm reduced to tucking my supposedly 'short hair' behind my ears which does not look smart and leaves me with side burns.  Yes I am female and don't like sideburns!

By: Jeannette

hii

you are paying for the serivce you should get your hair how you want it :O
22nd Oct 14 01:10

Lynda

its not rocket science cut 1inch off means exactly that 1 inch not 2 or3 its not that hard and it shouldn't take that long
22nd May 14 08:05

collar

Ouch! That's why I never go to the hairdressers - You need to find that manager's boss and have a word. That pathetic manager should have been all over you like a rash apologising to you! What a nasty run joint! If you get the owner and they don't care either, then complain to a law enforcement bureau or the department that goes out and inspects these places for kindness and efficiency. You're a customer, and you deserve to be treated with lots of care and niceness. The manager should have given that cutter the sack on the spot, and for him to just stand there waving scissors shows that he's a bad, bad cut.

Angie

Hairdressers are scissor-happy. They either are too rushed, hacking it off so fast and furious or they aren't busy enough and they just keep cutting away because they will be bored when you leave and they don't want to be done so soon, for they will have no one to chat with and no more hair to cut if it's a slow day. So we as customers sit there stunned and devastated with a haircut that is too freaking short or weirdly shaped.

dimlights

Aside from all of this, it couldn't be that you're annoying to deal with, or THINK you know better. You get hacked because they can't stand you or your out dated page boy.

Dani

I've only been to a hairdressers once in my life when I was about 8 years old. I had hair down to my waist and they ended up cutting it all off to my shoulders! My mom and I specifically asked for just about 3 inches off! Since then I have never been to the hairdressers and just rely on my mom or myself to give it a trim. I also dye my hair myself. Thats because a consultation I had with a hairdresser said i should have platinum streaks through my naturally light brown/dark blonde hair! Yuck! you wants a salt and pepper effect in their hair!

getalife

Why don't you just cut it all off at the neck... solve eveyone around you problem's
2nd May 12 06:05

Izzy

I had medium length hair, which when straightened reached my shoulders. My hair is slightly wavy and therefore looks really stupid if its in-between pixie-cut short and shoulder-length. I went to my hairdresser and explained that I just wanted a trim and I wanted a full-fringe again(I have a side-fringe) She then proceeded to explain that having a fringe would make my hair look shorter and that I should have my side fringe cut a little. I agreed and said that I just wanted a small trim and for her to do something with my fringe. She cut all my lovely hair off and at the back it sits just at the top of my neck. I HATE it!!!

janeb

I have very fine , thin hair and nearly every haidresser I've tried cuts it into SHORT, FEATHERED LAYERS when I specifically ask them not to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I'm now trying (again!!!!!!!!) to grow the layers down . I always explain I want a blunt cut bob with long layers, but do they listen?NO!

I don't know where I'm going wrong here, even the more expensive salons are no better.

Chegggg

I am never going back to a hairdresser ever!!! They never listen, I have just had my hair done and I asked for a "trim" then I got about 5 inches off?? It's also all different lengths to why do the compelete opposite of what I wanted I specifically said I was growing it to!! what a bimbo I tried so hard for it to grow as well. I never straightened it or nothing to avoid split ends just for her to chop it all back off it's going to take forever to grow back now. What is so hard about listening to what the client wants done with THEIR OWN HAIR!!
3rd Apr 11 10:04

lynn58

I haven't been to a hairdresser for 5 years.don't trust them since I had my nearly waist length hair trimmed 5 inches.honestly don't they know the difference between a centremetre and an inch it took me ages to get it back where I had it and I won't be going back,my dear hubby trimms it now and he knows how much a centremetre is.

Petra

Virginian - No offence if I am wrong but, if you have been colouring your hair for a long time, then it may , at 51, be quite grey underneath. If so, and you dye it brown then it will still show a sharp "line" as you grow it out.

Ashy blonde, no gold or honey, with highlights would probably show the least as you grow it all out to whatever natural colour is there.

Know what you mean about fine, thin hair. Mine is too. In fact I find it quite worrying how thin it is getting. A short layered style seems to hide it best but, as you say "texturising" just makes it look worse. It is maddening when they won't listen to you.

Try a model session in a hairdressing college. They may actually listen to what you are saying! I am assuming that it is the same as here and that they only use the students near the end of their training and that they are closely supervised.

Frustrated Virginian

I am a 51 year old American female, and yes, I experience the same issues here in the States. I have extremely baby fine, thin hair and stylists like to "texturize" my hair...problem is, one needs volume to do that in the first place. As a result, I have fine, thin, choppy hair (with sideburns, too!) I pay minimum $35 before tip for a blow dry virtually anywhere I go...it is frustrating. If I say I want to quit dying my hair, the stylist will yack about how it adds texture. I disagree. but I can't get them to dye it back to my brown color (because I wouldn't need them, they must be thinking!) I guess I have to buy a bottle and do it myself.

forum-for-unknown-tallent

I told my hair dresser what I wanted I said "cut at the front 4cm and the back 5cm and he totally messed it up! I look like a nerd from my school!!! I am never going there again!

abby.

omg I have been to the hairdressers and told her exactly what I wanted done
and hey ho my hair is a complete mess thinned out to much and very very short layers and different lenths
my hair was lovely and thick it took me ages to grow and now it looks like something from the 70s, I cant do anything except wait for it to grow again
I will never ever go back to a hairdressers again.. you all think you know what best well think on you dont try listening to your customers we pay your wages

baxter

it is so hard to find a hairdresser you like. Ive had mine for years now and she always knows better than me - that is what she has trained for.

If you get a good one keep her/him and tell your friends!

sas

actually hairdressers often know best, twice in my career I did exactly what a clients asked me after explaning why it would not work, and at the end they agree I was right but guess who had to re do it for free, staying at work till 10 pm? If you'd listen to why your idea might not be good maybe we would not waste our breath. And if you do get what you want but don't like it you'll have to live with that till oh my god the following day. And re pay for it.

Hair

I have the same problem with hairdressers. They not only refuse to cut my hair the way I ask but they also experiment with the colour like they see fit and when told it is not what I was looking for they refuse to fix it quickly, dragging the visits out while giving me a partial fix with a promise for better results next time so that I'll come back for more. Most of them also know nothing about science and pester me with nonsensical comments and hair myths (e.g. if you cut hair it'll grow faster). Therefore, I decided to learn how to cut my own hair and taught my husband to give me the perfect haircut. I will also grow out my colour since it is expensive and way too much effort. I learned the hard way that cutting hair can be tricky but colour is even trickier if the wrong person is doing it. Needless to say, every hairdresser I ever visited had a different vision of which colours/haircuts suit me and I find it all too contradictory. I think they are either lazy (especially if it's late in the day), lack education and skill, or are terrible salespeople (keeping a client by creating a problem and then gradually fixing it.) The advice I have for you is to find a friend or relative who is willing to learn and give you that perfect haircut you need. Otherwise, "interview" some more hairdressers and ask for hair shorter/longer than you want so that they'll get it the perfect length without knowing. Otherwise you can either cut your own hair roughly or ask a friend/relative to do so and then go to the salon asking the hairdresser to fix it. That way they have no choice but to keep it short if it is already cut.
2nd Nov 10 02:11

ajp

I have had a number of excellent cuts from different hairdressers - not easy with my thick, curly hair. However, I have had too many very bad ones. I have also repeatedly told hairdressers NOT to use mousse and a diffuser on my hair as I end up with a serious bouffant (making me look 10 years older), or else I look like Crystal (from Crystal Tips and Alistair). Yet, they do it EVERY time! Just because I have curly hair I do not need it moussing to within an inch of its life!

The last time - the hairdresser made such a hash of blowing my hair (with mousse and a diffuser) that I refused to leave the premises and walk down the street like that! It was washed out and then I blew it myself! Everyone there said what I great job I made of it (that's because I have been living with this hair for the past 48 years and DO know what to do with it). Then they had the nerve to try and charge me for the blow drying!! Naturally, they did not get it, nor did they get any repeat business.

Now I do all cutting, blowing and colouring of my own hair - and am regularly complemented on it.

Carole

Further to my earlier post when I walked out and ended up cutting my hair myself, I did get a good result in the end as I compained to the head office and got a free hair cut by the manager - how I wanted it and was asked to complete a statement of what happened. Reading an earlier hairdresser's comments "the fact that they are wanting such a old fashioned hair style that hair stylist would not even no how to do such a style because they were never taught.
The fact is that yes you may want a more mature hair style but at least try and keep it modern and up to date. why have something that makes you look old. I just dont get it." I think this just about sums it all up.
a) They are often only trained to do modern hair cuts. (Sorry they should be taught to cut for all ages).
b) Why have something that makes you look old. Well I am 63 and do not have old haircuts, I just do not like my hair cut in a certain way, i.e. long at the sides and short at the back.
c) Final comment "I just don;t get it". Well no you don't onbiously. Sorry, but the customer knows what they want to look like and they are paying, so give them what they want.

Shop around and take a picture is probably the best solution. Have since had a very nice cut on a local hairdresser, so will be sticking with her.
2nd Oct 10 12:10

Lucie

I hate it when hairdressers do this to. I just had my hair cut and I like it, apart from my fringe! It's completley different to how I want it. When you go in a hairdressers you should get the hair you want, no matter what it is! I'm really depressed and I have school tomorrow. And it doesn't really matter if the hairdressers think it wont suit you, or it's 'too old fashioned' if you want a certain haircut, you should get it! I mean you are paying for it!

claire

I am a hairdresser. I find that most of the time people who moan about there actually dont even no what they want with there hair, or the fact that they are wanting such a old fashioned hair style that hair stylist would not even no how to do such a style because they were never taught.

Thaimalayapore!!

see if you can find a local hairdresser who will come to your house! we have quite a few round here who will willingly make an appointment to cut your hair in your own house... that way you can have exactly what you want as a) if they don;t like the style they're cutting for you in won;t matter as no one will see them doing it and b) its your house so you're in control, rather than their salon where they are boss!
check out the yellow pages or local phonebook so see if you can find hairdressers advertising for this service. Good luck!

anonymous

It's a shame that you can't find a stylist who will do what you want. My suggestion is to shop around. A good consultation should always precede a good haircut. Pictures are worth 1,000 words. If you can take a photo to the stylist, and they still refuse to do that for you, then get up out of the chair and move on. You owe them nothing if they won't give you at least some version of what YOU are paying for. I'm a stylist in the US and communication is key. Perhaps you could check out a Sassoon salon or training academy in your area. They usually get it right. Keep looking. You will find a good stylist because they're out there, and not as scarce as you might think. A lot of us still have pleasing you as our main goal, because without YOU, we won't be working.

FRED

Hacked and look like an Idiot 29-Jan-2010 22:45 if you dont like your service,then do it yourself oh I could do it better not !

anonymous

What they want and what they tell you are 2 completely different things. Yes,a picture helps us to visualize what you require,however,if the photo is sleek,shiney & long & you come in with hair that is course, short, curly & frizzy then no amount of titivating,cutting or product is going to make you look like the picture. Sadly,a lot of people do not like hearing the truth. When pushed to carry out their demands, even when we try to suggest an alternative, suddenly it's our fault when they walk out resembling a rodents rectum! Thankfully, I do not encounter this problem much as I have a full clientele, some of who I have been doing for 19 years,so obviously I do listen. People wander why i'm so unsociable outside of work,well after reading some of these comments, is it any wander I dislike the human race in general. Dealing with the deluded and rude public every day of my working life has made me this way. So,come on ladies and gents,give us a break,and at least have a bit of common sense, you may even find you get a style you like. Manners and noncondescending discussions with your stylist will get you a long way! If all else fails and you're still encountering Sweeny Todd, may I suggest you try another salon on recommendation or your last resort buy a wig!

anonymous

Time to hear from a hairdresser with 24 years continuous employment on this touchy subject,i think. While I completely sympathize with the afore mention's gripes & various other persons on this page,please let me put my point across. Yes,there are many stylists like the ones you have encountered. A lot have not had 5 years training as I did under a Day Release City and Guilds course while working in a salon to gain Indentures as proof of apprenticeship. Many think they are qualified after a quick course at the college or just working in a salon-not acceptable,however,after all my years of hairdressing i've come to the conclusion I either come from another planet or I speak a different language. Guess what,guys,i have yet to master the art of walking on water and I don't read minds. Sadly many people who come in seem to think we can work miracles.continued on next comment.

ddraigon

I have SO had that experience! it has got to the point of seriously considering taking a pair of scissors to my hair and then asking them very nicely to deal with it... (i'm not a vindictive person, its just that i've had the same hairstyle since I was 8. shoulder length and...well...thats it really...)
come on hairdressers - I don't care if you think it won't suit me! i'm paying you aren't i?

Carole

I just had the same experience in Bromley Kent. I'd give the name of the salon, but it will probably be censored. I told them what I wanted and ended up having an argument with them. I did not allow them to cut my hair the way they wanted and ended up walking out with wet hair. I came home and did it myself as best I could and every-one says how nice it looks - even before they knew I cut it myself. Who is the customer here?

Hacked and look like an Idiot

Oh, I completely sympathize with you!!! My friend (a guy) had the same problem. He almost looked "bald" every time he went for "a wee trim". Well, the barber no longer makes any money off him. (You'd think these people had a brain!!). I do it for him. I give him his little trim every month. And exactly how he wants it. (Not much intelligence is needed to trimming a guy's hair).
PS I get free monthly car maintenance!!

By the way, we have no "smart" hairdressers in Canada either...

Eddie

I couldn't agree more! Maybe you should pretend that you're a guy.
I've been desperately trying to grow my hair out for half a year and every time I ask for them to "tidy it up but keep the length", or "just take a little bit off" or "style it so it will grow out nicely", all they seem to hear (wherever I go) is: "Short back and sides please."

Today was the most infuriating as i'd finally managed to get it as long as I liked but it had just got a little too long so I went and asked for just a tiny bit off. Big mistake. Now I'm back to square one with a short back and sides and I'll have to wait another half a year before it's anywhere near long enough.

Hacked and look like an Idiot

I too hate hairdressers.
They do not know English, they are Blind to pictures, they do not know Math.
Explain to them what you want until you are blue in the face.
Everything you want, they give you everything you didn't want.
1/2 an inch is a trim, not a 4 inch hackoff!! Not a bob either!!
Show them the 360 degree picture. They are blind.

What is wrong with these people? After asking for a 1/2 trim, I got a 4 inch hackoff.
Instead of going back each month for a trim, now it will take at least 2 years to grow it all back.
Baaawwww!!
I hate hairdressers.

Cyn

Why do hairdressers insist on cutting hair too short?I ask for half an inch to be cut off and I always endup with half an inch on my head.What is their problem.?

Lowri

I think the problem is rural/ small town hairdressers. There's a reason why the best go to the cities. I just had my hair cut this morning, took a photo in and said that was EXACTLY how I wanted it, and what do you know, came out with something completely different. Come to think of it, I have NEVER had a haircut I was completely satisfied with.

Gian

Hairdressers should listen to their clients and do what the person asks for and if it is something that would not suit them it should be explained and it is possible to adapt a hair style to suit with a little tweeking ,In my younger days we had talented young stylists , but they had a lot of support from older hairdresers I personally looked up to my elders who had much more experiance ,but today unfortunately they are on the shop floor after six weeks and believe it or not a lot of kids at school are putting colours on and blow drying while working in the evenings and on Saturday jobs , I do not agree with this bad practice but lets face it they are cheap labour in this recetion,and they are so pleased to have a poorly paid job they do not see that it is wrong.

Elena

I have the same problem here in the US. These hairdressers think they are top stylists and that they know best. Honey, I hate to tell them they do not. we know our hair best and what we want to look like. I hate them.

gix

To the lady with fine hair I think your hairdresser is possibly worried that you may not manage your hair yourself as it is so fine ,there also is the worry that if you can;t do it yourself it may look bad for them , on the other hand you could go to an older local hairdresser who has the experience in dealing with fine hair you know that when you go in to a "trendy"hairdressers and they ask you if you want a stylist or an artistict director ,the artistic director is usually someone who is good at selling retail products and not necesarilly a top hairstylist.
1st Nov 09 07:11

LOLA

your 55 ?
stop moaning like a little teenager
honestly
what is this site about ? in every single of your articles you moan.

Debbie

I just paid £57 for a hair cut that's far too short, and was blown dry in a middle shed! I had to remove my glasses, so couldn't see what was going on. I've re-styled it the way I like, but it's still way too short. Now changing salon.

HairKiller

Hairedressers are ridiculous. 9 times out of 10 I get a haircut that I don't even want. As you mentioned, they do it the way they want it and the way they think it looks good. I almost always come out with the typical guy haircut, short on the sides, a bit longer on the top. I hate it, it makes me look preppy and too tidy. I like a messy look, scruffy around the ears. I always tell them, DO NOT CUT MY HAIR ABOVE THE EARS, yet every time they snip it right off before I have a chance to stop them. Then I am stuck with this haircut I hate for a month or two.

From this day forth I will simply not pay them.
31st Aug 09 08:08

I. Hate. Hairdressers.

I. Hate. Hairdressers. I left the place in tears as they cut my hair over 2 inches too short than what I said. I said at the bumpy circle thing on my collarbone, however it is level with my chin now. 3 years in a row I got my hair cut wrong (not at the same place). I am cutting my own hair from now on.

Martika39

I used a hairdresser who did my childrens hair in May of this year and instead of listening to what I wanted, she asked me to remove my glasses cause the brush knocked into them and without my permission/knowledge and knowing the fact I couldn't see what she doing she cut all my hair off , when asked about why she did this she lied saying my hair was damaged,(i have prove of this from another hairdresser as being false)then her attitude was get over it, its been 6 weeks, how am supposed to deal with this, I no longer trust hairdressers, I have had to spend money on contacts as I won't go near one when wearing glasses in fear of another disaster!!!
2nd Aug 09 01:08

Garth

Hair grows then 3 or so months later much has happened, the truama from the last one has decreased, I am unaware, casually go to the hair dressers and so the cycle continues.

Lizzie

I have a really talented hairdresser, who I just let go wild with my hair. His taste is better than mine!

But, the amount of people I've had who've just completely ballsed it up.. some people do not like to listen.

Maggie

I totally agree! I've just come home from yet another dissatisfying experience at the hairdressers. When I booked the appointment Saturday, they told me that they would be able to put an all over blonde in my hair, and when I came in today, they then said they wouldn't wanna put an all over color in my hair, so instead I got highlights. I'm sick of this cos this is what I hear all the time. I don't want highlights, I want what I asked for in the first place! I payed €75, I know they are trained to know what's best but when I pay for something in particular, then I want it! Whether my hair turns green or looks rediculous thats my problem! Give me what I ask for for crying out load!

So Television

Have you ever had the haircut from hell? A haircut so bad, that you left the salon in tears, and vowed never to return? If the answer is yes, then So Television would like to hear from you for a TV project involving a world class celebrity hairdresser. Please contact jasond@sotelevision.co.uk asap with your story. Please include any photographic evidence and a contact telephone number.

DEADLINE – MONDAY 4TH MAY

Mallory

Jeanette, without seeing your hairstyle etc I can't say this definitely applies to you, but hairdressers are trained to be able to tell what kind of styles will suit a person; and age isn't the only factor. There are many things which can decide what type of style to go for; face shape, bone structure, lifestyle, and how thick and straight/curly/wavy your hair is. Some people's hair just won't go into certain styles, and would look worse if forced to. This may be why your hairdresser didn't give you the style you wanted although like I said, I couldn't say for sure because I haven't seen you!

But at the end of the day, if you're not happy with the style you get, you can just refuse to pay :-)

Scruffy Hairdo

I've had this problem myself especially in the last 2 years. I keep having choppy layers put into my hair even though I have asked specifically for them NOT to do it. I used to have it feathered around the front and now they refuse to do that, saying that you have to have layers at the back to blend it all in. Which isn't true. They just go off to hairdresser school once a year, learn a new style and give it to everyone no matter what they ask for...

veena

Salsa hair and Beauty on the hagley road, just do not listen, I asked for a natural hair colour with no ammonia, so she used one with ammonia and thought I wouldn't know. Hey I could only smell the stuff and had the most itchy scalp in the world. So then she admitts it, and says well the other colour would not have lifted, I have 30 years experience and so on. You just can not trust the old lady in there called Mandy.
The beautician whilst waxing my eyebrows only took all the skin off my eyelid and then charged me £6 for scaring me.
That has got be the worst hair and beauty salon ever.

shockinghair

I am in the same predicament. I want my hair cut short, but my hairdresser just won't do it. Each time I ask her to cut the back short, but I end up with it hanging over my collar. I am 53, I think she sees me as an old woman so gives me what to her (a quite young woman) is the appropriate style. It drives me mad. I have tried other hairdressers in our area - rural south west - but the only two that used to be prepared to give me interesting styles have moved on.

I have heard hairdressers only need know 4 styles to qualify. That's probably 1 male, 1 child, 1 modern and 1 old woman style!!
3rd Nov 08 07:11

Brackersbabe

It's the thought of creating a scene in a public place that puts most people off refusing to pay for something they're not happy with, unfortunately. Writing a grumble here might let off steam but doesn't solve the problem which is that you now don't have a hairdresser you can trust.
I'm one of the lucky ones and have a gem who knows I can't stand being shifted from the reception desk to the waiting area, then to the cutting chair, then to the basins, then back to the cutting chair, then to the dryers, all to the accompanying witterings about holidays taken or planned. Drives me nuts and takes hours out of my day.
Jan the Jewel is a one-woman operation so knows all her clients in depth. She gives me a dry cut so I can go home and wash it and dry it myself, (and how many women fork out a fortune and do just the same?!), retrieves the situation when I get desperate and have a go at it myself, (only when she's on holiday) and knows that I prefer to cut my own fringe. In and out in 15 minutes (plus a bit of gossip if there is any) and since my first visit in 1989 when she charged me £5 her price has just reached the dizzy heights of £14. In fact, I made her some cushion covers as a favour since she always manages to fit me in so she decided not to charge me anything at all last time - which was the day I had decided on having my hair coloured, cut and washed and blow-dried, which would have been £37 and still incredibly reasonable.
I should be grumbling on this site really, but I felt the need to sing her praises instead. They're still out there if you can find them.
1st Sep 08 11:09

cruisey

I agree with the last post the price of bananas is shocling

Freya

I hate how they always either persuade you or just cut your hair the wrong way, how do they know if it suits us?

irritated

why pay? if they don't do what you asked them to do, simply don't pay - it's your perfect legal right. If you went to the grocer and asked for eggs and they gave you wine gums, you'd tell them you wanted eggs and aren't paying til you get eggs. My gripe is that people complain about this sort of thing after handing over their hard earned money. amazingly stupid!

Steal.

My misses went to a little hairdresser in Bristol the other day.. she told them a trim, and she got just that... a trim.. she was charged £60.. I nearly fainted.. I argued the fact we wherent happy and we have consumer rights and want to pay whats fair. they phoned the police and locked the front door.... the police turned up and I suggested to the police man to question them on false imprisonment as we where flexiong our consumer rights, we didnt refuse to pay we suggested £20 and that was 19.99 too much. The officer suggested to the owner for locking the door, its best to let us go and not charge us... so we went, and my misses went to the next hair dresser and got a propper hair cut for £10! and it was super cuts!
Flex your consumer rights people, you haggle what the cut is worth, within reason.. if you not happy.. haggle something free.. but never pay what they request if your not happy.

Nick

How about asking them why a style you like wouldn't suit you? They might be able to explain their reasons.

But if you're paying £37 for a flaming haircut you're potty. It's a complete waste of money.

payback

this is a simple one, before you sit in the chair, say these words " hi, I would like you to cut my hair in this style, do not and I repeat do not cut it in any other way, I do not wish to converse in conversation with you or anybody, if at anytime you do not do as I ask then you will not recieve payment from me, " it worked for me, they may think you are a little odd, but hay they are not coming round yours for dinner.
3rd Aug 08 11:08

An Olde One

At the barber's.

Asked by the court barber how he wanted his hair cut, the king replied: "In silence." (Collected in the Philogelos, compiled in the 4th/5th Century AD)
2nd Aug 08 10:08

Mrs. A.

I had my hair trimmed last summer (trimmed, remember) and within two seconds my hair was gone. It was when that Victoria Beckham angled bob was en vogue. My shoulder length hair, that I was trying to grow out, was suddenly the shortest hair I'd ever seen. By the time I'd noticed it was too late and she was too far in. All she did was laugh and say she'd cut a few of them that day already and must have been on autopilot. It looked horrible on me, as I do not suit short hair. My husband and work colleagues openly admitted that it did not suit me. Its been 14 months and I've almost got my hair to the length I started at! Needless to say, I haven't been back and refused to pay for that hair cut. Hairdressing is one of those jobs where you really have to listen carefully to your client!
31st Jul 08 03:07

Clipper man

I cut my own hair these days, I got fed up forking out £8 to £10 every month for basically five minutes work, kind of short back and sides these days as there's not much left on top or front. So... I invested in some clippers (I think they were about £6) and I do it myself once a month. Actually it's a lot easier than you think. Probably not for everyone though if you've got longer hair or styled and probably out of the question for women (only Demi Moore can pull off a crew cut!). Still... £80-£100 a year isn't to be sniffed at!
31st Jul 08 12:07

Steve L

My barber is a complete buffoon who spends more time talking than actually cutting.
He was cutting my hair the other day and there was an unusual silence before he asked me if I had ever typed "firework explosions" into youtube and then proceeded to ramble on about fireworks for ten minutes.

He also neevr remembers who I am and we have the same inane conversation every month. I would change only he's on my doorstep and cheaper than most other barbers. However what I save on money I pay for in mental anguish!
31st Jul 08 09:07