Hairdressers who don't listen to what you want

My gripe is with hairdressers who don't listen.  I have just paid ?37 to have a cut and blow dry where I asked the lady to cut my hair short but she refused to do it saying it would not suit me.  I now still have hair annoying the side of my face and short of cutting it myself what options are there?

I hate having my hair cut at hairdressers for this very reason.  I can never get them to cut my hair how I want it, they always do it how THEY want it!

I am 55 and now have a haircut that would probably suit a person who is more like twenty-something.  I have tried various hairdressing salons and have not found one yet that will actually listen to me and cut my hair how I want it to be cut.

My hair is very fine, quite lifeless and tends to look quite messy rather easily, which is precisely why I wanted it cut short.

Hairdressers who don't listen I've tried explaining, but they always know best...

I tried explaining on numerous occasions to hairdressers that I wanted it layered and much shorter, but they always know best, don't they?  I live in North Wales, I'm disabled and most of the time I don't have any transport, otherwise I would head up to Chester and visit a top salon.  Instead I'm reduced to tucking my supposedly 'short hair' behind my ears which does not look smart and leaves me with side burns.  Yes I am female and don't like sideburns!

By: Jeannette

hii

you are paying for the serivce you should get your hair how you want it :O
22nd Oct 14 01:10

Lynda

its not rocket science cut 1inch off means exactly that 1 inch not 2 or3 its not that hard and it shouldn't take that long
22nd May 14 08:05

collar

Ouch! That's why I never go to the hairdressers - You need to find that manager's boss and have a word. That pathetic manager should have been all over you like a rash apologising to you! What a nasty run joint! If you get the owner and they don't care either, then complain to a law enforcement bureau or the department that goes out and inspects these places for kindness and efficiency. You're a customer, and you deserve to be treated with lots of care and niceness. The manager should have given that cutter the sack on the spot, and for him to just stand there waving scissors shows that he's a bad, bad cut.

Angie

Hairdressers are scissor-happy. They either are too rushed, hacking it off so fast and furious or they aren't busy enough and they just keep cutting away because they will be bored when you leave and they don't want to be done so soon, for they will have no one to chat with and no more hair to cut if it's a slow day. So we as customers sit there stunned and devastated with a haircut that is too freaking short or weirdly shaped.

dimlights

Aside from all of this, it couldn't be that you're annoying to deal with, or THINK you know better. You get hacked because they can't stand you or your out dated page boy.

Dani

I've only been to a hairdressers once in my life when I was about 8 years old. I had hair down to my waist and they ended up cutting it all off to my shoulders! My mom and I specifically asked for just about 3 inches off! Since then I have never been to the hairdressers and just rely on my mom or myself to give it a trim. I also dye my hair myself. Thats because a consultation I had with a hairdresser said i should have platinum streaks through my naturally light brown/dark blonde hair! Yuck! you wants a salt and pepper effect in their hair!

getalife

Why don't you just cut it all off at the neck... solve eveyone around you problem's
2nd May 12 06:05

Izzy

I had medium length hair, which when straightened reached my shoulders. My hair is slightly wavy and therefore looks really stupid if its in-between pixie-cut short and shoulder-length. I went to my hairdresser and explained that I just wanted a trim and I wanted a full-fringe again(I have a side-fringe) She then proceeded to explain that having a fringe would make my hair look shorter and that I should have my side fringe cut a little. I agreed and said that I just wanted a small trim and for her to do something with my fringe. She cut all my lovely hair off and at the back it sits just at the top of my neck. I HATE it!!!

janeb

I have very fine , thin hair and nearly every haidresser I've tried cuts it into SHORT, FEATHERED LAYERS when I specifically ask them not to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I'm now trying (again!!!!!!!!) to grow the layers down . I always explain I want a blunt cut bob with long layers, but do they listen?NO! I don't know where I'm going wrong here, even the more expensive salons are no better.

Chegggg

I am never going back to a hairdresser ever!!! They never listen, I have just had my hair done and I asked for a "trim" then I got about 5 inches off?? It's also all different lengths to why do the compelete opposite of what I wanted I specifically said I was growing it to!! what a bimbo I tried so hard for it to grow as well. I never straightened it or nothing to avoid split ends just for her to chop it all back off it's going to take forever to grow back now. What is so hard about listening to what the client wants done with THEIR OWN HAIR!!
3rd Apr 11 10:04

lynn58

I haven't been to a hairdresser for 5 years.don't trust them since I had my nearly waist length hair trimmed 5 inches.honestly don't they know the difference between a centremetre and an inch it took me ages to get it back where I had it and I won't be going back,my dear hubby trimms it now and he knows how much a centremetre is.

Petra

Virginian - No offence if I am wrong but, if you have been colouring your hair for a long time, then it may , at 51, be quite grey underneath. If so, and you dye it brown then it will still show a sharp "line" as you grow it out. Ashy blonde, no gold or honey, with highlights would probably show the least as you grow it all out to whatever natural colour is there. Know what you mean about fine, thin hair. Mine is too. In fact I find it quite worrying how thin it is getting. A short layered style seems to hide it best but, as you say "texturising" just makes it look worse. It is maddening when they won't listen to you. Try a model session in a hairdressing college. They may actually listen to what you are saying! I am assuming that it is the same as here and that they only use the students near the end of their training and that they are closely supervised.