Getting no good advice from chemist staff

I've just come back from the local chemist and I'm a little less than impressed with the service in there.  I'm sure it's not the same everywhere, but I always seem to pick the worst ones.

All I needed was some something to relieve the pain from some rather nasty mosquito bites that I acquired.  I had a fair number of them and they itched like hell.  Now I know that this isn't the sort of thing you go to the doctor with and there's nothing worse than a hypochondriac, so this is why I thought it would be a good idea to go down to the local chemist and ask for advice.  It's not rocket science and I would have thought that they would probably know what works and what doesn't.

Not the case though, instead of a helpful and fairly knowledgeable assistant, I was faced with someone that clearly would have been better suited to a job behind some supermarket checkout.  I didn't need highly trained expert advice and I wasn't expecting to talk to someone with a medical background.  I thought I could at least count on the fact that they would know a little bit about the products they were selling though and be able to offer some basic advice.

Drugs/pills on a table I felt I was just an inconvenience to her ...

This woman clearly didn't give a damn whether or not I got what I required and I felt as if I was just an inconvenience to her.  When I enquired about what was good to treat the bites and which works best, I was just pointed at an array of products all claiming to do the same thing. No advice, no suggestions, just pick something and off you go.

I think at the very least counter staff in a chemist shop should be trained and given some basic knowledge of the products they have on sale.  A little guidance and at the very least good interpersonal skills would go a long way.

And another thing, why is it the only person who can make up a prescription goes off to lunch between twelve and two?  It's almost like they know that is the only time you can get out of work.

Saturday girl

I am a counter assistant, I have been for about a year and a half now. And I work on a Saturday...But I am not ill qualified as many people think Saturday workers are. I have taken a course specific to being a counter assistant and making sure that our customers are satisfied with the service that has been provided. Whoever served you was an incompintant fool and shouldn't have been allowed to work at a pharmacy. If she felt she wasn't able give the best advice she should have referred you to the pharmacist who would have been able to help you.

debs

all pharmacy counter assistants should be npa trained.
3rd Feb 11 02:02

Joe

So your assumption is that people who sit at supermarket checkouts are dumb. How enlightening.

Paracelsus

...so you should know that diamorphine's full name is (3,6)diACETYLmorphine, being a fully trained pharmacist. 2 extra acetyl groups is not the same thing as tacking on a whole extra morphine molecule

Mr Pharmacist

Pharmacists have no obligation to sell medicines to anyone if in their opinion it would be inappropriate to do so. Every year a couple of pharmacists get struck off for making inappropriate sales. Furthermore, since earlier this year we've had to exercise much closer restrictions of sales of codeine-containing analgesics such as Syndol because of the potential for addiction; codeine is not particularly active but in the body is converted into morphine; and heroin (diamorphine) is essentially two morphine molecules stuck together. So yes, codeine is equally as addictive as morphine or heroin. All codeine-containing products are now required to have a warning on the box about the risk of addiction with more than infrequent, short term use. If you're needing to use Syndol daily, maybe you have got chronic daily headache from analgesic overuse and need to see your GP?
And yes, am a pharmacist and have been for 7 years after I completed my five years of training.

Mr Hicks

counter assistant, I do not think it is at all reasonable to compare syndol or nightnurse to substances such as heroin, crack or methamphetamine. Suppose a counter assistant refused a sale of syndol or nightnurse to me because they thought I was an "addict"? (it has happened)
how do I know that he or she herself is as pure as the driven snow? he or she could be using any kind of substance, legal or illeagal for all I know.

counter assistant

mr hicks, firstly syndol is not a over the counter medication is a pharmacy medication, which does make a difference, and secondly addictions to syndol and/or night nurse and such are as much of a addiction as illegal drugs, a addiction is a addiction whether its legal to buy the product or not.

a counter assistant.

in response to a comment on this page, I would like to add there are many questions and information a pharmacy assistance needs to ask, and if they have any suspicion on if the drug is being abused they are allowed to refer you to the pharmacist who can get a better view on the situation and use his/her judgement on whether to sell that product or not. if a drug is being miss used pharmacy's are not obliged to sell you them.

Lixie

im sorry you had such a bad experience although I can reassure you that most pharmacies aren't like that and the health care assistants are usually trained and very helpful.

not always right

some people are just down right rude wether u help them or not,its a spoonful of manners what they need.

Mr Hicks

ste, a pharmacy assistant has the legal obligation to ask two questions to a person wishing to purchase an over the counter product like syndol, the first is, is this medicine for yourself? and the second is have you used this medication before? if the customer answers yes to both questions the counter assistant or pharmacist has a legal obligation to sell the product. Also when talking about addiction ste, I think you need to differentiate between simple things like syndol or nightnurse and REAL addictive drugs such as heroin or morphine.

ste

I work in a pharmacy for asda and we are trained and give adivce to the products we sell, for the lady complaing about the sleeping pills. If u buy them regually you will not beallowed them. They are for tempory use, if you have a sleep problem, you should be seeing the doctor. Sales of sleeping tablets are sold behind a pharmacy counter as you can become addictive to them this is why you would of been refused this sale. Asking nicely will not change the fact you have had them alot or recently. A sale once a month is enough if that for temp use, with out a perscription.

Mr Hicks

Has anybody else been refused an over the counter medicine out there?

I take a couple of syndols every night, it gets me off to sleep nicely. However on a number of occasions including this morning I have actually been refused, despite asking politely and having the money. I think this is totally outrageous. The syndol company want to sell me their product and I wish to buy their product. It is not fair on the workers of the syndol company (based in oldham) that pharmacy workers block the sale of their product. The law should be that if a person wishes to buy an over the counter product he should be sold that product !

louie

I can sympathise with your comments, but having just started work as a complete novice in a pharmacy, I have to say that I have had a bit of a shock with how much I need to learn about selling over the counter products. Although I am sure I'm doing a better job than the assistant you are talking about!

louise

shutup u soft get if it was that easy why didnt you directly ask for something instead of asking questions. yes it may of been easy but obviously they didnt like the look of you

Rosemary88

I am a trained counter assistant at SUPERDRUG and have worked there for 4 yrs. Prior to that I have also worked at Boots and Lloyds. Firstly I would have suggested an antihistamine to reduce the itching. Piriton is good but can make you drowsy. My favourite in the non-drowsy department is Benadryl (in the blue box not the orange one). Secondly to rub on the actual site, Anthisan which is a topical anti-histamine. Histamine is a chemical the body produces in reaction to a bite or nettle sting (hence "anti-histamine"). This chemical is what gives you the itching. On point number 2, as we work in a busy City centre, our pharmacist has a half-hour break at 2pm so that we can be as helpful as possible. Some of us are well trained, next time pick us!

grumpyoldwoman

real pharmacist; I hope you don't work in a chemist near me! With your standard of literacy I'd be a bit worried about getting the correct dose of the correct drugs!
3rd Sep 09 04:09

real pharmacist

hey us pharmacist need to eat as well...why should we have the inconvenience of taking lunch very early...or starving ourselves untill after two....just to please you!!!!!!!!!
3rd Sep 09 04:09

Mallory

You don't say what day you went into the pharmacy but I'm guessing from your experience it was a saturday. I worked in a pharmacy for 4 years and I can assure you all that permanent staff are set on full training courses which teaches them the ins and outs of medication on the shelves, and this is ongoing as new proiducts come in. Unfortunately, the courses cost money and therefore saturday or part-time staff aren't always offered this course due to lack of funds.

pharm

A pharmacist needs a break like everyone else. So if you can't get your medication at lunch, just be thankful that when the pharmacist returns refreshed from lunch they are less likely to make a mistake which may kill you, than if they have worked for 10 hours solid. We don't just count tablets out!!!!

Chris

I have to agree with Red on the choice of words used by the person airing their gripe. Ok to gripe but to slag off people and say the word Bimbo and as much as say check out operators are idiots, is wrong totally wrong
22nd Apr 09 05:04

Inspector

Most Pharmacies in this country are third world institutions, selling perfumes, hair dyes, and other non-essential goods. Why should you expect someone on minimum wage to know anything?

Dee

PRESCRIPTION CHARGES! I know that there are many people like me who have a condition which needs medication for life. I am 57yrs old and I have osteoporosis which limits employment opportunities. I am not working and don't claim benefits. My husband is 63 so he gets free prescriptions but I have to pay for 3 items per prescription which costs £20 + every few weeks. If I lived in Scotland or Wales I wouldn't have to pay. How unfair is that?

Red

I was faced with some dumb bimbo that clearly would have been better suited to a job behind some supermarket checkout - that's a nice comment.
I work on a supermarker checkout, mate, but I tell you know, I'm NO bimbo and neither are most of the other staff in supermarkets. For your information, I have a first class honours and am working here to pay the bills whilst another job comes along.
But I tell you know, I would rather be a dumb bimbo, than some ignorant person and if you're so clever, why did you not use insect repellent then you wouldn't have had this problem in the first place........Just a though

Ben

Pharmacists and customer service who blatantly lie to customers!

I am horrified by this experience. I shop online for almost everything; the only area I had not used for online shopping was for both private and NHS prescriptions. After researching products and prices on with all online chemists, I decided I'd try chemistdirect only because the mailing address is Birmingham and I'm in Liverpool which made it one of the closest.
I mailed my private prescription by recorded delivery and the next day confirmed online with Royal Mail it had been delivered to them. The day after this I used the online help service to query when my order was being dispatched as it was not appearing in my accounts/track orders on the website. I was assured the private prescription had been received and my order would be dispatched the next day at the very latest. I continued to check my account/track orders only to see no change then 4 days later I received an automated email "reminding" me to send my private prescription ASAP as it had not been received.

My response to this was to email back demanding answers and that my order be sent the next business day via express delivery. The next day I had not received a response to my email, I used the live help service to cancel my order and have my card refunded. At this point I am trying to track down the whereabouts of my private prescription after being promised I would be emailed the tracking number of the recorded delivery parcel, and of course I was not.

All of this has lasted 2 weeks during May/June 2008 during which time I have been without essential medication. Its an absolute disgrace and I would urge anyone considering giving your business to them to do otherwise. I am reporting them to consumerdirect.

whatever

What can I say. Most of the people living in Britain are lazy, over protected by law (check the MEP for instance), uneducated and counting on somebody else's help in any case. Intelligence and common sense are great misteries here I suppose. And it is not about because we are there for. I am curious if "pharmacy assistant" receives this sort service like she sees it for herself. I don't think so. And you must be working in very healthy, trusting, thankful, and respectful enviroment...that its society that do not rely on benefits and other kind of exemptions from third parties.

Juultje

If the rash was giving you that much grief you should not have been at work and I always find that when the season for insects bites arises that prevention is better than cure, insect repellents are widely available.

Pharmacy Assistant

Ok, I find the replies to this rather scary!

I'm a pharmacy assistant and I agree with the author.

We do get a raw deal very often, I'll admit. I am absolutely not the idiot I am regularly made out to be by customers who just do not listen. We do get impossible requests and stupid questions, but I don't think that the author's request was stupid!

How is he meant to know the best kind of antihistamine for him and his ailment/lifestyle or what the best cream to use is, if any, or if he has any worrying symptoms that should be referred? That's what we're there for!

I certainly wouldn't like to be served by someone who didn't know what they were talking about or who couldn't care less. We are required to be trained in an NPA course which gives us a basic knowledge of products and symptoms and a basis from which to train further through materials routinely sent to pharmacies.

And come on, guys! There's a reason we're meant to ask so many questions! I can’t tell you how many people snap at me for checking simple things like if they've had a product before because they've "never been asked these questions before". If we're not asking anything, why are we even there? They might as well have everything on the shelves in a supermarket!

To the author, please find another pharmacy.

To the person who finds what they need online, "are you dumb?" Do you know warning signs we're trained to look for? Do you have the pharmaceutical knowledge of a pharmacist to make sure what you are picking is ok for you, your ailment and won't interact with anything else you might be on? Clue yourself up, yes, but don't expect the internet to correctly diagnose you and don’t expect to find the best thing for you.

And to the "pharmacist" who spends all day explaining that a repeat slip is "everything you have ever had", maybe you would have more luck if you told them what it was actually for: an order form for prescriptions of medicines they are on regularly!

chemist

Hmm like I know this sort of customer from before... I wish I could see the moment when the victim (to be precise: the retailer) made a bad look or worse, sad and pity look showing sth like: "I feel so sorry for you wondering how the hell did you get to the shop on your own or better where is your mummy? Mummy can give you the best advice or even help you picking the desired item from the top shelf..". I`m sure head office would be involved..
God, like we talking about the primary school here!
1st Sep 08 02:09

uk

I don`t get it, can`t you read?! Everything is displayed on the leaflets and packagings, especially when you knew what was wrong with you...just choose sth from the shelf! Good she showed you where that shelf is, if she didn`t probably you had to speak to the pharmacist about it.
It`s getting really annoying with you "patients" coming and asking stupid questions making the whole process of retailing a nightmare. Not suprisingly all damn job with minor ailments ended up on pharmacies cause GPs had enough listening ridiculous complaints from "patients and customers" like you!
1st Sep 08 02:09

me

fair enough about the counter assisstant not knowing about the products...but she could've been a student and might not have known much...a lot of these products do exactly the same thing...there just different brands...and pharmacists need to eat aswell..if they can't eat, there concentration will decrease and therefore are more likely to make a dispensing error and harm someone...they should either close for lunch for a while, or have another pharmacist there and take alternate lunch breaks
31st Aug 08 05:08

a UK pharmacist

Heres what I hear at work everyday and why everything is my fault from customers:
" You've not given me my tablets" - I reply its not on the prescription, they say " yeah its here on my copy actually" cue long explanation repeat slip is everything you have ever had.
"have you got my prescription" ,"no , did you ask us to pick it up? "No , but Ive ordered it, I told them to give it you"
" this costs half the price in bodycare - im not paying that" "well this aint bodycare , I cant compete with them , why bother telling me"
" I forgot to order my really important tablets , I have none left, can you deliver me some now as ive not taken any today" 2 minutes before we shut.

Heres my conversation with staff:
"will you do overtime please? "- everyone else is on holiday Staff - " There is no point me doing overtime as I get tax credits so it all gets taken off me anyway" Hence I never have any staff.

Conversation with area manager
" I have no staff" - answer "tough"
"Why do I not get a lunchhour and not get a break for nine hours?" - Answer - " Its not fair on people who work ( so S*d you) - now go and do lots of additional services now"

john m

Well I for one am very glad a pharmacist was on the ball. My two boys were having to go abroad and I needed to get all new packs of medication to alleviate any customs hassles.

The doctor asked if I wanted ant travel sickness meds I said oh good idea I hadn't thought about it.

When I got to the chemists the pharmacist walked out and said he could not give me the sickness meds and could not tell me why. After looking up the meds I discovered that they were not licensed in this country for children infact they could of killed my boys in mid air. Needless to say I still use that pharmacy and have changed doctors

Dispenser

Ive been working in a community pharmacy for three years now, I started as a sales assistant & am now a qualified NVQ2 Dispenser. I think pharmacy staff need to be given a break once in a while. One minute you're trying to tell someone that if theyve got a dry tickly cough that taking chesty cough syrup will do them no good whatsoever, the next you could be doing a diabetes test and trying to keep the patient from having a panic attack & fainting on you, then you get people coming in to pick up their prescriptions & having a go at you cos your driver hasn't picked it up from the surgery yet as the doctor hasn't signed it, because they only ordered yesterday. We have to deal with harsh consequences everytime something goes wrong - it is NEVER the surgerys fault or the patient - it is ALWAYS the pharmacy's fault. I think people need to understand that one person cannot hold in their head knowledge about every single product they sell. I always try to help to the best of my knowledge, if I can't help then I refer to a pharmacist. It's really frustrating that me & my colleagues spend time learning information about a vast amount of products for some twit to look down their nose at us & say 'You don't know anything about XXX I have to speak to the pharmacist at once' when they don't even give us a chance.
Another point - the reason why there are more pharmacies than primary schools is because children attend primary school, but EVERYONE at some time needs medicine. Lets say we shut down all the 'mini-pharmacies' I don't think many people would like it if they had to wait for two hours for some antibiotics now would they??
Ask for the pharmacist lunch hours-why can't they eat at the same time as everyone else? Just because they work for the community doesn't mean they have to answer them whenever the community says. At the company I work for, the pharmacist has to stay on the premises while they are on their lunch,& has a maximum of 30 minutes-give them a break please.
3rd Apr 08 08:04

Dinman

Oh you were so ill with insect bits, may be you could not make up your mind, other day I went to the market to by POTATOES, there were so many verities to choose from and no label or information to tell me of its test, cooking time, health value, and proper use in the meal, I could have landed buying baking potato for fries so labels and instructions on the products does help to make up independent choice, (your freedom of choice would not have been rapped) if need some thing for headache and if was seeking friendly opinion I would get different response from different groups of people infant would have recommended Calpol, youth would have recommended Anadin, older wood have recommended Nerofen or stronger and I would have told you “Go see you GP again they will give you best medicine if you did not take anti-malarial”
Counter assistant was damn right unless this was your first visit to pharmacy
3rd Apr 08 01:04

The Author

US pharmacist, you missed the point completely. I knew what the problem was and I wasn't asking for medical advice. I was asking for advice about the products sold IN THE CHEMIST. Something along the lines of, "oh.. well most people go for them..." or "this one's good but expensive, and this one works well too..." This clown didn't even know what isle to direct me to either.
1st Apr 08 10:04

US pharmacist

The writer is clearly just a whinny needy person who wants everybody to kowtow at her when she comes into the pharmacy. I get so annoyed at people coming into the pharmacy to show me their arms and ask me, "what is this?" The public should know that neither the pharmacist nor the pharmacy technicians are trainned to diagnose and when something goes wrong, you guys hold us accountable. Our main duty is dispensary; to make sure that correct medications are given out. We are busy enough with that and how could we "give a damn" when our main job is clearly not to diagnose! Anything that a pharmacist is doing out of this scope should be appreciated by the patients. To add insult to this, I am sure the writer didn't expect to pay for this service either! So I think the writer should shut her trap and be gratful that at least someone was there to guide her to the right section.
1st Apr 08 04:04

Bubba

Gawsh, are you dumb? Use the internet to find out about whatever drugs you need before you go to the pharmacy. If you don't understand your ailment go to your doctor. There are far too many mini-pharmacies. It's actually costing the nation billions keeping all these businesses we don't need going. There are more pharmacies than primary schools. Think about it; is that necessary?

Just remember a pharmacy is a business, not a social institution. They're there to sell you quack medicines if they can. Junk for backaches and the like. They make mega bucks outta this. If the medecine can do you any good you probably need a prescription for it.

The national health service neds to think how it runs is local health care units. Our doctors surgeries are far too small. The doctors need to be directly employed by the NHS or health care trust. The present system is mediaeval. A large health care unit should have its own pharmacy.

I go to see the doctor: I get my drugs at the same time.

Curly wurly

I have worked in a pharmacy for 4 years. I had to do the Interactive Course which I found very interesting. People come into our shop and find us very helpful. I go out of my way to advise people with their ailments. I am not doing it for the money as I would have left earlier because we are notoriously underpaid for the hard work we put in. Its better to work for low payt in something you enjoy or get more money in something you hate! I could earn more in Tescos on checkout! Our pharmacist only takes half hour lunch and people still complain!

Ing

Pharmacy Counter Staff Useless!!

I recruit for that industry and trying to find a certified Medicines Counter Assistant these days is like "Gold-Dust".
Clients are not prepared to pay and the candidates do not want to get out of bed for minimum wage, so I'm not surprised.

unknown

I've been working in a pharmacy for nearly 2 years i've just started my dispensing course. the fact people can say counter assistants are useless when all we ever do is look out for the interest of other people is complete rubbish. the only way a pharmacy can be run poorly is if people dont work as a team, and if a person isnt up to the standards within a pharmacy they shuldn't be able to stay.
23rd Nov 07 09:11

Temperature is rising

I asked a pharmacy assistant if they carried digital thermometers (not a medicine question, but still one of first aid) and she point blank told me no but they had children’s forehead strips. I wandered in and around the isles looking for my other purchases, only to come across the children’s forehead strips… right beside the digital thermometers, not two meters from the pharmacy desk. I ended up using the check out at the pharmacy desk and I pointed out to her that they were in the store and she said ‘oh, you mean to take temperature! Why didn’t you just ask for that?’ Huh? I hadn’t realized 'digital thermometer' was a complex medical term.
31st Oct 07 10:10

P. Reynolds, Essex

Pharmacy counter staff useless - They're not this good!

Whilst in Boots I asked for some Milk of Magnesia and was instructed to visit the geography section of the book department. Eh!!

Rebecca Collins

for the attention of Caitlin,your friend may not have done any training but has worked in the pharmacy trade for a long period of time.It is a legal requirement that all new staff members working in a pharmacy, have to start and complete the Interactive learning course which are run by The National Pharmaceutical Assosiation.

I have worked in a very well established Pharmacy for a long period of time now and am involved with our staffs training and development.So it's actually you 'darling'that needs to get your facts right......

nancy

My training and knowledge was acquired through self education of complimentary and conventional medicine: having my Bachelor of Science education was of immense significance to amount my success in sales and customer counselling. Employed in six different community pharmacies and three medical centre pharmacies over the past ten years is the basis of my creditability. Since working as a pharmacy store manager, dispensary technician and pharmacy assistant have chosen to leave the pharmaceutical industry and look for a career that I am able to assist society because I have watched the pharmacy interest go down, quality care go down and Pharmacist Employers only care about MONEY. There is not enough training provided for assistance because employers dont care!!!!!!!!!
I once believed that a Pharmacy strived on having the best interest of customer health and care as a leading motto: serving as a pharmacy assistant for the past ten years has made me witness a transition not only affecting quality and care for consumer health but also the quality and work ethics for pharmacy assistants. What was once dedication to benefit society, serve individual needs, promote wellbeing and obtain health solutions has now become a mergence of corporate interest; Pharmacy Direct, Chemist Warehouse, Priceline Pharmacy, investors and shareholders controlled by the Guild of Australia and represented by a commercial global market.

Caitlin

Oi and rebeca collins..um how bout no. Not every one working at a chemist has to comple a N P A or whatever. One of my friends works at a chemist and she has done absolutely nothing.. So get your facts straight darlin'.

Zarlii

I am curently in training at a chemist. I love working there and am extremely interested in learning more about the products that I sell. At the moment I know very little about any of the products. I think you shouldn't rag this poor girl out too much becuase how do you know that she might be learning about the products and is doing her best to please every customer that trots thought the door. I don't think you should say that she should be working in a supermarket or somewhere because she might realy love her work. Oviously she didn't know that much about the product you wanted because if she did she would have had said some facts or advice. So lay off her...it's called learning..!

JEAN

I must admit I have just recently joined pharmacy with hardly any idea about medicine just basic personnel knowledge. Im a nervous wreck, did'nt realise all the hard work and training the staff had to do in the chemist to get up to standard with information of the products. The staff in my chemist do on going training all the time, which I think is great. And our customers love coming into our shop as they get good customer service and knowledge of our products nothing is to much bother for us regarding or customers. So maybe other chemists should take more interest in staff training and there would'nt be so many up set customers. It's sad to here all the horrible comments from customers regarding there chemists. If we can't help our pharmacist is only to happy to and does'nt leave the premises for lunch either, thats dedication.

Rebecca Collins

I am a fully trained and experienced counter assistant.I have completed the N P A Interactive course for the sale of counter medicines.I have also completed the N P A Interlink course which bridges the space between the counter assistant and the pharmacy dispenser.I am also in the middle of a GNVQ Level3 in Retail Management&Retail Services.I work very hard inorder to give the best service I can, if I ever come across a situation that I can't help with I will always refer to the pharmacist.I will also get more information and learn more on the particular subjet I couldn't help with,so I will be able to deal with it in the future.I have also had bad experiences whilst buying medicines in other pharmacies.I wasn't asked any wham questions and wasn't given any information on how to use the products,as the counter assistant was clearly inexperienced and untrained.The pharmacy I work in, is open from 8.30am to 6.00pm. We do not close for lunch & there is always pharmacist present, at all times during our opening times.

rebecca collins

By law any person who works in a pharmacy has to complete an N P A course,the course has to be started during the first three months of a counter assistants employment. Before a sale of any pharmacy only items are sold WHAM2 questions have to be asked and anwsered.Also a pharmacist has to be on the premises before any p meds can be sold.To the person who begun this debate,you could have asked to speak to the pharmacist and should have complained directly to the pharmacy in question. you could have even contacted your local Primary Health Care Trust.I work as a counter assistant and could have easily sold you atleast three products that would have dealt with your problem

Another Healthcare Assistant

As "Qualified chemist counter assistant" said, as of January 2005 all Counter Assistants should have completed a course as set by the RPSGB. In our shop, trainees are always accompanied by a more experienced assistant, so you ahould have asked to speak to them or a Manager or Pharmacist.

Also regarding Pharmacists lunch breaks- they are the worst part of any counter assistants day. People do not understand the Pharmacy Laws, and you do get a lot of complaints- most of which I can try and deal with, but any assistant who deserves to be in the job, should have at least helped you find an alternative to P products.

N.Y.C.R.Ph

Counter help do not give advice in my stores. There is a liability situation involved. Ask your "DUMB BIMBO" lawyers assistant. Did you ask a follow up question after you didn't a positive response or did you slink away.

Mrs B

In Boots, it's often shorter than the main que; Come on people, you're internet literate; you KNOW what you need!

Lewis

Some counter staff are better than others. It is down to training and not just limited to the pharmacy or chemist. They should be able to give basic advice

welshoney

I think you should have complained...that is awful service you were given...all counter assistants should be trained. I know in the pharmacy I work in you wouldn't have been treated like that.

an ex boots pharmacist

It seems a bit excessive that the pharmaicist takes a two hour lunch break! Usually I go between 2pm till 3pm as this causes the minimum of disruption. It is very rare to have two pharmacists in one shop so very difficult to work a whole day without any lunch.

trained counter assistant

We do get trained and not all of us are bimbos but we do have to be clean and presentable. If you didn't get service you wanted you should have asked to see the pharmacist thats what they are there for.

Sir Moan-a-Lot

"I didn’t need highly trained expert advice and I wasn’t expecting to talk to someone with a medical background."

"When enquired about what was best to treat the bites and which works best, I was just pointed at an array of products all claiming to do the same thing."

It would seem that you did get a trained person. All you needed was an anti-hystamine. And it's true they do all do the same thing.
You would be even more upset if the assistant advised you to get the most expensive product only to find later that a much sheeper product would have done!

Qualified chemist counter assi

Can I raise a hand in defence of some counter assistants please. Some of us are fully trained and do know what we are talking about and do have a good knowledge of all the over the counter and 'P' products in the store. Certainly in the UK you now cannot be a counter assistant without being currently on a course or having completed the course.
I do, however, agree that some assistants just shouldn't be in the job as they really haven't a clue <sigh>. They give the rest of us a bad reputation.
1st Jan 06 07:01

Nick

NDG: Maybe he was just faced with a "dumb counter bimbo". It happens. I've been in similar situations myself, and there again I've had to deal with the "dumb ape" from time to time as well.
31st Oct 05 09:10

nom de guerre

"This woman clearly didn’t give a damn ..."
"I was faced with some dumb bimbo..."

I only just noticed on second reading that the author displays a real problem with women. Psychosexual problems, perchance?

Warm regards,
2nd Oct 05 04:10

Chemist

Why didn't you ask for the Pharmacist,He/She is the person to ask, not the sales assistant, who knows NAFF ALL about medicines. The Pharmacist is the person TRAINED in the knowledge of medicines.
1st Oct 05 04:10

Josepher Redpad III

By 'eck, tha's harsh.

Scott's mum

What What What? I return from holiday in Florida and go to take my son there, only to find its closed. It was only 4pm, East Coast time.

Josepher Redpad III

A condition of my medication was that I pledge support of the lead singer of the Vandals and hit myself in the ****. But you can't argue with results.

Ted "Voted Best" Mil

I agree, the old bag at my chemist actually threw my pills over the counter and the tub split on the floor. She didn't help me pick them up either. Those pills were for my eyes, it was horrible, I couldn't even see the pills on the floor I was forced to swallow anything in a attempt to get my sight back. You can guess what happened.