Ford Focus starting problems, car just won't start

I bought a Ford Focus 1.8TDCi brand new in April 2003 it has now done 22,000 miles with a full Ford service history.  However, on the 14th of May 2007 the car began to have quite pronounced problems starting from cold.

The RAC took my car to a Ford Dealer I didn't get it back until 19 June 2007 (yes it took them just over a month to get it to start and then they had to 'test' it, so they had it almost 5 weeks in total!).

The total bill for the work came to 1919.22 during which they fitted a new battery, PCM module, fuel injection pump, crankshaft sensor etc.  You could have knocked me down with a feather at this point.

Starting problems, dealer blames Ford diagnostics

When I queried the bill they said Ford told us to fit these parts due to readings off the diagnostics on the fault code reader.  On the 27th of June and only a week after I got it back, I had exactly the same starting problems, i.e. after a short run from cold, switched off engine which then just refused to start again.

Ford focus starting problems Join our discussion forum

I feel that I have been ripped off and the Dealer blames Ford diagnostics, meanwhile Ford says that it is down to the dealer.  Is this just a big game to Ford and am I just caught in the middle?

Can anyone tell me what to do here and does anyone know exactly what causes starting problems on the Ford Focus?  I'm at a loss with this because it would seem that FORD themselves and their experts do not have a clue, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

By: GK

tee

ya, drive it though the ford show room window, i think we all need to be doing something, instead of being shit on all the time.

steve boi

Try the fuel rail sensor

boblet

D. Did the garage who changed your fuel pump change the fuel filters also? If not get this done. If it cures the problem, get your filters changed regularly. I must point out all garages charge for this job but none actually do it. It might be that you have picked up some dirty fuel.

Dawn

My Focus had a new duel pump in January 2013. it has also had a new starter motor in the last three years. My car starts then it will loose power and stop and will not restart for an hour. The garage have changed the fuel relay switch, put a new breather pipe on. I has a new battery and the plugs and leads have been checked. It has also been on a fiagnostic machine where no faults are shown. I have lost my confidence in taking the car out on my own, as that garage have said they think they have fixed the problembut it has stopped again. Any ideas, could the fuel pump be faulty and would the garage still cover it?

lisa

I changed petrol filter on my ford focus 2009 an now there's no petrol coming thru so my car wont start. Am I doin somethin wrong

steve

won't amp is a Ford Focus MK1 98 1.6 Alternator petrol 70amps or 80amps

HAZ

The glow plug indicator light is erratic. On switching when Glow plug indicator light of a TDCI diesel car doesn't glow then engine not start, keep the car for sometimes Glow plug indicator light will glow and the engine will start.

HD

We have had starting problems with our 2009 Ford Focus diesel TDI for a year on 8 occasions. The Ford dealer decided it was due to using super market fuel as it started when they changed the fuel filter. That cost over £200 including the towing to the garage. About 3000 miles later, same again. Different one man business, small local and usually first class, called on to help.
Advised we had used supermarket fuel as it started when filter changed again.
(How come all these cars who queue up at supermarket petrol stations are not stranded too?).
1300 miles later same again, this time we had been careful to fill up at top fuel stations - the inconvenience can be imagined. Change of filter and it started.
Short time later repeat of non starting.
Our man was on holiday so we tried another small local garage. He replaced the fuel filter, it started however he at least applied diagnostic test and said there was still a problem somewhere.
He investigated immobiliser and cleaned and adjusted wire connectors.
Short time after didn't start again.
Finally our small local garage man after working all day on the car has found the EGR valve was faulty, he replaced it and the engine started, put the old one back on and it didn't start.
So hallelujah we think this dedicated garage mechanic may have solved the problem!
So anyone else in same situation go for the EGR valve!

We have spent well over a £1000. The most maddening thing is these Ford Dealers who when they do not really know the cause of the problem just change the fuel filter and say it is "supermarket fuel" rather like a doctor saying it is a virus!

Anonymous

I have a 2009 ford focus 2ltr tdci,about four months ago it refused to start just turning over but not firing up,took it to my local garage who tried various things to no avail.They sent it to a diesel specialist who fitted a new fuel pump,the car ran ok for a few months but has developed the exact same symptoms and is back with diesel specialist who fitted fuel pump,they have had the car for a fortnight now and can not pinpoint the problem,sometimes it will start then five minutes later it won't,any help would be greatly appreciated ,this has so far cost me 800 pounds.

cheryl

i have a 99 estate 1.6 petrol ford focus it suddenly wouldnt rev and lost power can any body help

ananymous

i have a 2009 focus with 86000 had hot start problem since about 40000 three mechanic no help replaced starter and battery no codes shown

Anonymous 911

I have a 2006 1.6tdi sport Ford Focus the oil pump failed causing the engine to wreck. I have replaced the engine but the car refuses to start or turn over? Different versions depending who you ask are. The brain has to match the key and the fuel pump? Anyone had this problem?

dave56

i have a focus tdi 1550 and i am getting fuel or eletric problems with it . as i drive it it feels like ther is water in the fuel you put yor foot down and it will not go no power then it will suddenly go and will blow black smoke just a bit. and when you coast it feels like it is misfireing does anyone know wats causing this problem?
22nd Apr 13 12:04

Stacey

Had same problem, there is a connection for the fuel pump under the back passenger seat, drivers side, there is a bung with a wire going into it, pull the bung out and fiddle about with the connection clip whilst someone is trying to start the car up, if no joy the clip may need replacing, the fuel tank would have to be dropped for this, or u cud just do the work from inside by cutting into the metal then soldering back. Hope this helps :)

ben

can anyone help me got a ford focus 1.6 petrol 2000 my car will not start turning over and has fuel going to pump the aa said its the fuel pump but had that replaced about 6 months ago they also said i only had 4 volts instead of 6 which is what i need

Fred

I have had the same problem an a customers car, Ford main dealers had not got a clue when I phoned them for technical advice, They told me that they had several 1.8 Tdci with this problem,My diagnostics said it was the crankshaft sensor so I fitted a new one cancelled the code, And guess what the same code came back and the engine still would not start,So after racking my brain, I decided to try different things,And the result was faulty EGR valve, When I UN-plugged the EGR valve the engine started up straight away, My local Ford Dealer was very pleased when I called them to tell them that I had cured the starting problem.

Garage owner and technician for 40 years

Web Mechanic

"Does anyone have any idea what this could be?"

Rough guess, it's screwed.

Debi

Hi, I have a 1999 Ford Focus 18TD. Driving home from work it started to lose power until it finally came to a halt. I waited and after it had cooled, checked the oil and water. This was fine. I tried starting it up again and it started but a huge plume of black smoke belched out of the exhaust. I tried revving the engine. No more black smoke, but the engine was rattling and making a noise like metal on metal, a sort of squealing. Also, I could smell something burning. Only very slightly though. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Suddenend

Most diesel starting problems stem from three sources: 1. Lack of or poor delivery of fuel. 2. Faulty glow plugs. 3. Lack of cylinder compression.

Lack of fuel can be caused by a wide range of faults, the most common being a blocked fuel filter, air in the fuel system, poor pump pressure and faulty injectors. A clean looking fuel filter may not appear to be blocked, but if you haven't replaced it yourself before, put a new one in to be certain. You'd be amazed at how many garages don't change these filters at a major service. Make sure the filter seals are renewed at the same time. Air leaks can be hard to track down, but you should be able to tell if you have one because, due to syphoning, there will be little or no fuel forward of the low pressure pump when you first try to start the car, also there may be bubbles present in the fuel line when the car initially starts. They may persist while the car is ticking over if the leak is particularly bad. Almost any part of the fuel system can spring a leak, so tracking it down takes time and patience. Start at the fuel tank and check every seal and pipe joint all the way forward to the injectors. Odds are somewhere along the line you will come across a badly seated O-Ring or loose pipe nut. Unless the leak is really bad you won't see any diesel coming out, it's a fairly viscous liquid and can't always pass through pathways air can travel through easily. If there is no obvious leak, you may need to have the system pressure tested by a diesel specialist. Have the pump efficiency checked at the same time. Don't go to a main dealer, they are worse than useless at diagnostics, plus a specialist will have more experience of other issues that may have effect your particular cars fuel system. If there are no leaks and your pump's fine, then you may be looking an injector problem.

Unliike petrol injectors, diesel injectors work at very high pressures, especially in common rail systems, this means they are more complex and more expensive to manufacture. It also means they are more prone to failure. Most failures are caused by blockages or wear and result in an injector delivering fuel to the cylinder poorly or not at all. Without the right equipment you cannot diagnose injector problems, other than complete injector failure. This would be apparent, because white smoke (not steam) would be billowing out of the exhaust, accompanied by a strong diesel odour, and/or the engine would be very rough. If you suspect the injectors there are a large number of specialist firms that can test them and diagnose any faults, they may even be able to refurbish them for much less than the cost of a new replacement.

At engine start-up glow plugs preheat the air and fuel mixture in the combustion chamber (cylinder) before it is compressed by the piston. This aids the ignition process, after which the glow plugs should not be required except in unusually cold conditions. Faulty glow plugs are not uncommon, but are not easy to diagnose without testing them and their relays electrically. If they are easily accessible, you could remove them and test them with a car battery to see if the tips heat up correctly (they should glow white hot). A faulty plug may not reach sufficient temperature or may heat up at the wrong point on the plug, making them useless. WARNING: Severe burns can result from touching a recently active glow plug. Glow plugs are not expensive, so replacing them yourself could be a cost effective solution to your problem.

Finally, good cylinder compression is a vital component of a diesel engine, without it combustion leaks will occur and this will effect engine starting quite severely, particularly when the engine is hot. An engine may not appear to run roughly even with lowered compression, but it will be less fuel efficient and will likely burn engine oil (blue-black exhaust smoke is the most common evidence). Due to the very high pressures involved, compression testing equipment for diesel engines tends to be quite expensive, so it may be cheaper and easier to seek the help of specialist. A quick, and not very accurate, compression test can be achieved by squirting a small amount (teaspoon) of engine oil into the cylinders via the glow plug ports when the engine is hot, then replace the glow plugs and start the engine. If the engine starts easily there is a good chance you have a compression problem, if not start looking elsewhere. Poor compression can only be remedied by an engine rebuild or replacement.

One last possibility is a blown head gasket. With high compression engines even a tiny breach in the gasket can result in huge losses of pressure in the cylinder and poor starting could be a symptom.

Hope some of this helps.

lobswales

i have a 1999 tddi focus. replaced diesel pump and got it fired up by using easy start. car run for 10 minutes and then stopped and refuses to start. any ideas??

Jimbo

I took a look at my engine compartment fusebox...im missing R166, R34, F3, R167/285 (taken from Haynes manual) they all have the icon of the heater plug in a water bath? Could this be anything related to my problem?

jimbo

What would cause my 02 focus TDCI to intermittantly not start? she cranks fine but refuses to fire and the glow plug light flashes. Then I turn the key to off and back to on (glow plug light no longer flashes) and she starts on the button no bother. Are there any sensors or relays that could be causing this? No other symptoms such as stalling, poor fuel consumption, rough idle etc. Just the random embarassing ignorance of my car :/ it usually happens when ive drove for a short distance and try to start it a few minutes/hours later, but its really difficult to identify any pattern! any ideas much appreciated

wayne

These Engine management lights, and diagnostic fault readers are just an excuse for manufacturers to rip us off. Did they not inform you of the cost before they carried out the work?. Id have told them to stuff it cuz they are out to rip us off all the time!!!!. I had problems with my car starting. My mechanic checked the engine diagnostics. He said the glow plugs needed replacing and charged me £100. Strangely enough a month later i started having exactly the same problem with my car, in that it wouldnt start correctly and the Engine management light stayed on. Of course my glow plugs would still have been under warranty so the mechanic told me that my glow plugs were fine and that this time it was another problem which would cost me £50. Its my theory that the first time he only renewed 2 glow plugs (although he charged me for 4), and subsequently the other two later died on me. It's rampant in the motor industry. I bet hundreds if not thousands of people are ripped off each week!!!
22nd Feb 12 08:02

manumercer

Hi Ben thanks alot for the tip will try that and see if it helps. Kind Reguards Gary

ben

problems with starting ford focus 1.8 tdi.gary. similar focus estate 1.8 endura 2000.try taking 3 fuel filter pipes off fuel filter.(under bonnet) pour fuel into largest hole at front, untill full (diesel).check "o"rings for damage. also pour fuel into pipe leading to injection pump for injectors.reconnect fuel pipes locking into place.make sure at each step. we did this and after a couple of longest turns of key engine picked up. drove 150miles on motorway ok.still ok. car had stood 2 days , think diesel fuel had syphoned back into tank.perhaps worn "o" rings .

manumercer

Ive had problems for 5 years from my 1999 1.8 tdi focus. From the first week i bought it theres been nothing but problems starting it . It verys from day to day it wont start just keeps turning over with white smoke coming out of it. ive tried heater plugs fuel treament etc. took it to ford nobody has ever been able to find a problem. Would anyone recommend anything. GARY

MARIA

I am currently having the same issues with my 2009 ford focus and i am soooo irritated as well luckily i have taken it in they still havent fixed things on it m=but i havent come out of pocket YET!

bigal

Just to let you know that my daughter's focus is still running brill as at Nov 26th. If anyone still having problems in north notts area I can put you in touch with someone who may help.

bigal

to the person who did not rate my comment, I was trying to help others not to fall into the same trap as we did, we could prove costly. I could have gone into a lot more detail but tried to keep it as short as possible. It would appear that there is a lot of guess work into curing this problem. Like I told one garage "I could keep changing parts until I got the right one" My daughter's problem was car not starting after a short journey with glow plug light flashing, if you turned it on and off a few times the light would go out and it would start. Although the problem would only appear when the car was cold it was not a cold staring problem. When you did manage to get it started you had to keep revs on until it warmed up and it would not rev past 3000rpm. I would definately try a reputable auto electrician first. Hope this helps more.

bigal

The main problem is that the glow plug light also acts as engine management. Also, a poor start problem can be a number of issues so you need to know what, that's the problem. My daughter's 2002 1.8tdci has just been fixed for a starting problem after a short run. The car has been attached to diagnostic units five times at three different places and no faults recorded until third attempt. I was told it wanted this, that and the other in excess of £1200.00. Then I was informed it needed a battery (which is still on the vehicle and working fine) and that was the problem! this was by diesel specialists. Eventually it went to auto electricians, who have a ford diagnostics m/c, who appear to have cured the fault but don't know what they have done. They suspect fautly wiring on the ecu which they removed and put back. £126.00.

Ross

Injectors reprogrammed, apparently they were "leaky" which was the cause of the black smoke. No smoke now thankfully, egr valve is fine. As for the starting issue, the light goes out far too quick and I just need to wait 10 seconds until I hear the click and the heater fan momentarily dips. Problems solved for anybody in the same situation as me. Hopefully I wont have post here again!
31st Oct 11 03:10

Ross

Came home from uni on friday, the dreaded light came on again, in exactly the same place, outside the same garage...coincidence?! Left her there to be fixed anyways, told them to look at the egr valve and replace the glow plugs/relay after they reprogramme the primary cylinder again. Hopefully this will put closure on this. Never getting a ford again.
23rd Oct 11 04:10

Ross

Thanks but my main issue right now would be the cranking problem. While I was writing the problem it dawned on me that is more than likely the a heater plug problem because if I leave the car in "on" for longer before starting it helps alot. Could anybody suggest the things that could go wrong (sensors), or can it only ever be heater plugs when your cars a random dodgy starter - see 3 posts down for my story.

Ross

Ohya and theres a funny smell from the engine, not a really bad one but its hard to describe. Not burning rubber or eggy, its like oil but i spose the mileage and age has a part to play

Ross

I think ive finally found the right forum thread for my problem, ive been searching for ages! Heres as much detail as possible (sorry). I brought an 02 focus 1.8tdci 115ps 2 years ago....140k on the clock. 6 months later (our 1st really bad xmas) I'm driving in -16 celcius and the warning light comes on, big power loss. I park it up in the snow for a few days because it was suicide trying to drive a dodgy car in that weather, then refused to start on me with plumes of black smoke, and spray of oil on the underside of the bonnet. Local dealer fixes it, says it was dirty diesel; new fuel pump, starter and a clean out etc. Before, it was always rough starting, now the motor turns real sharp. Until every now and again it randomly cranks but doesn't fire, no matter how long I crank. I turn it off, back to on and the warning coil light flashes. I repeat and the coil lights goes out, engine starts as if nothing ever happend. This is completely random, no trends. Hot or cold, once a day or once a month! The only thing I got is if I wait for all lights on the dash to go out (not just the coil) it occurs much less frequently...twice in the last 3 months which is a huge improvement. Around this time last year i overtook a lorry in the rain and the light came on again, total power loss and wouldn't rev above 2500rpm, like last time in the snow. Rolled it into the nearest garage and read the diagnostics, the primary injector code was "wrong". All I had to do was type in the right code on the injector (mechanic had bad eyesight) and hey presto....the joys of modern engines breaking when nothings broken. I also get pretty bad black smoke when i put the boot down, no power loss tho, still a rocket over 2000rpm. Any ideas greatly appreciated, 185k on the clock now and its not really worth trading in, hoping its an easy fix. Its just embarrassing if anything when you're cranking away in a busy town. Heater plugs replaced 2 yrs ago, new oil every 6 months. Im suspecting the egr valve for the smoke but clueless on the starter, could it really be just a faulty connection?

maxpesh

Easy,,,the MAP sensor has a barometric pressure sensor built into it and readings from this along with temp sensor reading are sent to the ECU to let it know how long to heat the glow plugs (i.e. high altitude and very low temp can make the glow plugs heat up for quite a long time). If the map sensor is faulty this will cause you the kind of problems that you are having, also the problem on the barometric pressure may not show up on fault codes. Btw do not confuse this with MAF sensor as it is something entirely different.

Mark

Hi, I have a 2000 model focus 1800 tdci and im having cold start problems with it. Once it has started it runs and starts fine all day, but problem reoccurs after car has been left for a while. I have replaced the glow plugs and it has made no difference, but what i did notice when i removed the glow plugs was that they were wet! Could it be that the injectors are worn and dripping fuel into the bores whilst standing and so "flooding it" when i come to start it? Its good on fuel so not sure if this would be the problem! I will try the av meter on the glow plug rail aswell to rule out the relay, but does anybody have any more ideas as to what it could be? Many thanks.

Anonymous

I also have had trouble with starting my Ford Focus 1.8 tdci (04). Coil light on dash not staying on for more than split second (should be about 6 sec). Having to turn ignition part way about 3 times now before daring to fire it up, struggles on cold start, usually ok after run. Have had new glow plugs fitted, relay changed, but problem still persists. I am at a loss, any ideas (beyond the ones already given?).
21st Sep 11 08:09

Jox Bawanak

To coin a phrase the modern diesels are a lod of bullshit and need namy gleenogs to keep them good!!
1st Aug 11 01:08

Kosh

Try this simple test.
Place an av meter on the glow plugs 'rail' feed. This is a wire (often red) that goes from glow plug to glow plug. Place the negative connection of the av meter on a ground (eg.battery terminal).
Turn ignition to on so that you get the glow plug lights.
You should get a reading of 12 volts, if not it could be as simple as a faulty glow plug relay. £5.20 (eBay). You can test this by swapping it with your rear heater one.
Then I'd go back to ford and demand your cash back for their incompetence.

Kosh

Try this simple test.
Turn ignition to on so that you get the glow plug lights.
Then I'd go back to ford and demand your cash back for their incompetence.

MikeP

Maybe you should stick to writing in Shqiptari instead of trying English! It might make more sense.

arbnor imani

my cars since 2002 ford focus 1.8 tdci has a problem insofar as it is simple is also complicated as walking speed 100 km / h the engine stopped the gold and may also speed 200 km / h without any problem do not know where Can qendrone problem with any of you tell me where qendrone problem and is generally better when stopping the engine can be again turned on without any problem simple electronics in new cars and Ford parts was given disaster has very expensive compared to golf

Asdren Ismani

and want from the Directorate of the ford focusit siduket it did not produce bone RAB cish technical errors shall be provided instead of the vehicle purchased in SAS autovilla focus zetec tdci 3p chassis number wfobxxgodb2y2481

Asdren Ismani

dhe dua nga drejtoria e ford focusit te me sqaroj se siduket kjo rab asht prodhuar me gabime teknike cish ne vend ja te dhanat e rabesfocus tdci zetec 3p numri shasis wfobxxgodb2y2481

Asdren Ismani

ford electronic domain focusit absolutely bone of very poor risks for my family and I dot BOJ complaints department which deals with the problems of car they believe that they have something ponetevertet gold asend not have gold because every part of what it should be coded in kopjuterit the central part of this Eka which costs 600 euro to us

Asdren Ismani

goodafternun am from macedonia I have a 2002 Ford Focus 1.8tdci I've problem with this car for Arsi that it does not work with the electrical system Rimes languish un believe or not the car for some moments I can hum with life despite the family because of the braking system which is located honor were driving it very simply and electronics come very quickly where the danger comes from the jet only if the braking system never stops. now just another problem presented by the dog in the car stops moving and craftsmen are not able to regullojn kshtu that new car we just can not obor and ekam Blair used the 3700 euro to 7000 athu methane have spent so much de nfun to pay only god knows how a service is Ford who is here shtrejt ask more of this company suffered from tem provide clarification or ndrishe not so lucky this same Japanese Toyota

Fred

Sorry, just spotted you have changed the battery. oops

Fred

Might be worth trying a different battery. Had a lots of sensors, glowplugs etc changed on my Focus TDCI. Found out that the ECU requires 9v+ to work. So slightly tired battery was spinning the motor over but the ECU had switched off due to the voltage drop.

New calcium battery totally cured the problem despite lots of mechanics opinion that the battery was fine, which was understandable as the car would keep spinning over until it eventually fired with a plum of black smoke.

Not sure if thats your problem though as on my car the problem was much much worse on cold winter mornings.

Spett

Would appreciate any advice on my Focus 1.8TDCI ´03 it is a poor starter when first started even in warm air temps. Once had a run it is fine starting. I have changed Glow Plugs for Ford make, also Cam sensor and had new battery, does anyone have any suggestions? It has already had new injectors and fuel pump two years ago and was starting fine until about 10mths ago!! It does start but splutters into life after about 5-10 secs.
31st Mar 11 09:03

Dogfighter

Hi Poppy You have been kidded take the car back, they have changed the bendix on the end of the starter motor a relatively small job, it engages with the ring gear, which to change is a big job. The new bendix is now giving up the fight with the worn useless ring gear. There is no short answer you need a new ring gear & now another new bendix. Modern garages replace the full flywheel; not having the skills to do anything else. A garage worth its salt, shrinks a new ring gear on the existing flywheel.

Poppy

Hi, I have a ford focus 1.8 TDCI, I bought this second hand from a dealer about 2 months ago. When I first got it, it was working fine, now it refuses to start. Just makes a persistant grinding noise when turning the key. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the flywheel (I made them do this as the mechanic who jump started my car when it refused to start at a petrol station said the flywheel was wrecked and was jamming) this resolved the problem... for about a week, now its started doing it again, not as often as it did, but its still a pain... apparently it could be the starter not clicking into place? The battery has been tested and is fully working so I have no other ideas what it could be. The only way we could get it started was to jump start it by pushing it down the road... luckily since i've got it back i've not had to jump start it, it started on its own, eventually!!!!!! I've taken to turning the key and leaving it for about 5mins before starting the car fully and there seems to be no problem doing this, but surely shouldn't have to wait that long???

unhappy

My son has a 2000 ford focus, one day it starts the next day it will not. you never know from day to day if the car will start. has tried many different fixes.

micky

ford dealers, and all the rest of the dealers are only interested in taking our hard erned money at silly prices, and when most of there mechanics are very young and inexperienced dont really understand the term "FAULT FINDING". what chance have we got !. usually I take my cars to the local back street garage who usually know and care about what they are doing at a modest price. I once was a mechanic so I can tell you that it doesnt have to cost you a fortune to get a good service, at a reasionable price if you do you homework. there are still many of us die hards that refuse to bow to the manufactures greed..

Lee

FFS, stop taking your cars to the Ford dealer and take them to a reputable Delphi agent instead.

crazy hayesy

ive got a focus climate tdci over the last few wks it has been refusing to start usualy taking up to 10 mins sometimes at the first turn of the key yesterday it decided not to start at all got breakdown people out who plugged their machine in and cant find anything wrong with it even though it still will not start can anyone help please please note this car was in ford last yr with the same problems the total bill was £1548! it got a new fuel pump,egr unblocked and new fuel injector

sparkey

jesus man you where ripped off,i cant believe they held on to it so long,this is how places like this are making money screwing the public,my ex wife bought a 07 ford focus nearly 2 years ago now,lately shes had problems starting it from cold,she took it to a friend who thinks hes a mechanic,he put a new battery in,she told me this a few days after she had it done,i was abit concerned at this and explained why,but she said he knows what hes doing,this is 2 weeks later and the car is back to its old tricks not starting from cold,thats a new battery plus labour down the plug hole,my advice is if its not starting take it to a damn auto electrican before you go anywhere near a mechanic if its a starting problem.

blubonez1875

HI. I've a 03 Focus TDCi with just over 90000 on the clock. Last summer the turbo went and I had a friends brother replace it with a reconditioned one that I got from a reputable place. After 'taking my time' with the car I noticed I was 'bottoming out' on under 3000rpm and it was awful at pulling out on to 40mph roads and overtaking on motorways (foot to the floor and crawling!!). Once the cold snap came it struggled to start and still does. It will start on the 3rd/4th attempt but also cough a fair bit of smoke out. I had it serviced by a small garage about 3 weeks back and it is definately livlier but am still having trouble starting it. Any ideas??

Scot

OK, Listen; EGR valve, When you have it replaced make sure the air vent is cleaned out with a round wire brush, simplest thing is sometimes the hardest to diagnose. Too bad so many 'mechanics' are on the job training !
2nd Feb 11 04:02

fedup

it was a pipe not on properly running fine now glad my drama is over for the time being to be fair it only took him 10 mins to find and fix unfortunatly im stuck with the car after it now costing me £4500 including the car price I just hope it runs ok and no more work in the future

Boblet

Fedup, It is a long time now since I worked on cars but the rule used to be, Blue smoke from the exhaust meant you were burning oil & black smoke meant excessive fuel, white smoke was water in the combustion chamber , meaning a blown head gasket, if your idiots at the garage cannot find one of these publish the name of the garage, & tell them so

fedup

I got my car back monday night going back in today pulling back at 2500 revs smoking badly from exhaust now smelling burning dont exept the car back kbpop as it will end up costing you a fortune in the end will report my next findings when I hear from the garage .

KBPOP

Fedup - sorry to hear of your comntinuing problems. I still don't have my car back. Fuel pump changed, car still won't start. I have now 'rejected' the car back to the garage and waiting for my money back. I won't buy Ford TDCi again.

fedup

im now furious my car still not back there now saying it had dodgy wiring that caused my pump to burn out . can anybody tell me if this is true or was it just dodgy wiring causing my starting problems and the new injector pump was not needed grrrrrrr .

fedup

oh well rang garage at 4oclock after waiting for a call said they will call me in an hour its now 10.25pm an im still waiting . I am starting to wonder if my injector pump was my problem or have they changed it and now realise its not working I mean 3 weeks is along time to complete this job or am I being impatient? now im concerned il spend £1200 for nothing im pretty fedup now .

fedup

mine has done 72k and I asked my garage should I get rid an move on but he advised me to stick with it he said its very rare to have these problems and once my injector pump is replaced it should run fine that said 8 months ago I had my clutch replaced so I can say ive spent to much to sell I hope when I get it back which has now been put back till fri thats the end of it fingers crossed il let you all know .

Boblet

KBPOP In my opinion it is not the Ford motor company that is the problem but their agents. I bought a Ford Fiesta & was quite pleased with it until it began stalling at lights etc when 13mths old. No probs thought I the agent told me during hjs sales pitch that the Ford diognostic system meant all problems were now easily & cheaply resolved using their computer. I left my Fiesta with them. As a matter of course I asked for the return of any faulty parts that they may have to replace. The service assistant agreed. A few days later I was informed that they had found the problem after 2hours on the computer, it was the tickover valve a ten minet job to replace. I griped about the two hour computer charge + parts & labour but they were having none of it, I was forced to pay up. when I requested the return of the faulty tick over valve it took a conciderable time to find it, I complained to Ford & they reimbursed my money. I will tell you of the Focus steering rack some other time. The Agent went out of business by the way. My advice to all motorists is secretly mark any suspect faulty parts & always ask for the return of any parts they claim to have replaced, you will be amazed at what turns up.

KBPOP

My '52 Focus 80k miles is currently going thru' a fault finding process. The symptoms similar to others. I filled the car, next morning it wouldn't start. Fortunately (???), I had just bought the car and it is under warranty. But, after many weeks of diagnostics, the car still does not start. They are now saying it is the fuel pump. I have aksked for my money back, but, they want to repair the car. I guess I have to go with this, but, there seems to be so many issues on these TDCi's. Are these cars reliable? Does replacing a Fuel Pump cause associated issues with other complonents? Basically Trade In or keep? Would appreciate comments/ advice. Thanks

fedup

I am due to get my car back tues after all this time my injector pump has been replaced .i hope to god its sorted after £1200 otherwise I am going to scream . I think fords have alot to answer for , as nobody seems to have the answer to this problem without it costing a fortune unnessacerily .
2nd Jan 11 01:01

John55

My 03 Focus 1800 tdci (64000 miles) has a similar problem, if I switch off before the engine has warmed up it would'nt start up again for 5-10 mins then finally it would'nt start at all. My local garage had it for 3 weeks and could'nt find the fault. I then took it to a ford dealer they said it was the fuel pump it was replaced at a cost of £1500, still was'nt working properly and now they are saying it needs new fuel injetors, total cost £2800.00. They also have had the car for 3 weeks. The car is only worth £3000.
31st Dec 10 09:12

denny0151

my engine is a 1.4 zetec se y reg 2001 model 3 door

denny0151

I have the same problem changed the crank shaft sensor and it worked fine for about 2 hours then again would not start its chewed the crank shaft sensor again this is now its third 1 help some1 pls why does it keep on chewing these things pls dont tell me to buy a smaller 1 as there all the same size

george

in your glove box there should be the ford owners manual. go to the starting page of the manual and it will tell you that in cold conditions such as below 15 degrees it states you should operate the glow plugs for 30 seconds. you can listen to the fuse timer relay click in the engine compartment arfter 6 seconds. but do this for about 30 seconds it will start ok. I did have this problem untill I read the ford manual not the hayes one. I own 2003 tdci focus.

indunil

I got ford focus 2001 car, it is not staring now 2 days I think battery is ok can any body help me

fedup

I never got to celebrate I am giving my car to a garage this week it starts with a push but not with a jump .i think this has to be a fault on the focus I have tried and I think I will get shut of it and go back to an old corsa at least you can get to things under the bonnet .
1st Dec 10 08:12

Lee

If your car has air shut off valve it could be stuck closed, preventing it starting. If you have a haynes manual (2001 - 2005) look in section 4C page 6.
1st Dec 10 06:12

dave

I have recently purchased a 1.8 TDCi Focus Zetec Sport, had the car 2 days running fine, since then its refused to start. RAC have been out and couldn't get it running, I've replaced since then, glow plugs, Cam Sensor, starter motor and battery and still it refuses to spring to life. Sprayed some easy start into it and it coughs but thats it! does anyone have any clues as to my next move apart from leaving it in a ditch?

fedup

I was advised to put some detox in my fuel so we tried it an the car now starts im not holding my breath though will wait a few days before celebrating .

cliff

ford focus 1.8 petrol ghia. had the same problem with it cutting out when I was slowing down. I took it apart and discovered that a pipe had snapped on the back of the carb, also changed the potentiometer, it now runs like a dream. hope this helps.

fedup

ford focus 1.8 cdti 53 plate has been difficult to start for a week now wont start at all plenty of life just wont turn over my engine management light hasnt come on changed heater plugs and battery still wont start is there any way of checking fuel pump before I pay out for this as I know this fault has shown up for people and it didnt cure the fault

derek storrie

yip I have a ford ranger 2007 model tdci with the same probs
do you know the engine in it is a Mazda 2.5 so ford do not have a clue about this engine
whach out that your engine is not a mazda engine???????/ if so they can test the full engine ..
2nd Nov 10 03:11

Barry

Hi, I've got a 2006 focus 1.8tdci. Car wont turn on, have changed ecu three times bloody diagnostics doesn't want to communicate with ecu. When turning the key I can hear a click comming from one of the engine relays but thats about it. Really stuck! can somebody help please!!

Scott

Hi, can anyone help???? having an intermitent problem with my Focus 2.0 tdci (55) sometimes the car hesitates to start and other times it starts straight away and always drives fine but then during a some journeys I hear and feel what sounds like a metal clunk and from then on it judder's when not harshly accelerating, seems to lag then pick up then lag then pick up etc and when I change gear the car seem's to uncomfortably hold back then lunge forward....this comes and goes regulaly and has been like this for a year.

there are no lights on the dash and is no smoke or any other clues, the car has been hooked up to a computer about 6 times! and there are no fault codes
i'v had the flywheel and clutch replaced and it seemed to be ok for a month and has just started again....i'v been on loads of forums and cant find anyone mentioning the above problems and have also been to three diff garages and all are clueless,

i think the next step is crankshaft or camshaft sensor but does anyone have any ideas or have heard of anything similar?

JamesG

Does your car make quite a rattly noise while it's turning over and not starting, kicking a few times but unless you keep the key turned until it's really running properly it just stops? Mine did that, especially in the cold. Keeping the ignition on for several seconds helped, sometimes going through several cycles of that when it was very cold. The solution (in my case) was quite unexpected and found by accident - the dual mass flywheel was broken and there was too much rotational play between the two halves. Getting a new flywheel (not cheap) completely cured the starting problem.

Billg

no-one has mentioned this, but it is my experience on a 205 fiesta tdci. The fuel lines seem to be letting air in, the car runs fine, and will start immediately after stopping, but after a while it will not. Pumping the fuel primer to expel air / push diesel through will result in a start. The pronlem now is finding this slight leak???
1st Sep 10 01:09

Manc Lad Chris

Had similar starting problems with my Focus 1.8 TDCI. Heater plug light on dash only stays on for about 1 second. Changed heater plugs, then changed heater plug relay. Car starts OK now but heater plug light still goes off after 1 second. I just wait 10 seconds before starting car. This does the trick. You can do a very basic test to see if power is getting to your heater plugs. Turn on your interior fan before you turn the ignition key. You will hear the fan pitch change when heater plugs turn off since they draw significant current.
3rd Jul 10 11:07

Lee

NICKTHESMOGGIE

I had the same problem, new glow plugs, struggled to start when cold. Changed starter motor and all is well

red robbo67

focus 2000 1.8 endura diesel.After 3yrs faultless running it just packed in.Took it to my local garage who had a diagnostic done and it showed up as the throttle sensor was not working.Changed the item and it worked for for three days then cut out again.Currently back in my local garage having further checks carried out.have seen a couple of things on the forum that I will mention to my garage,but if anyone else has had similar problems and had it cured would like to know what the problem was?????
23rd Jun 10 12:06

NICKTHESMOGGIE

Gainsborough lad.

Focusssss, these sensors failed on a Ford Granada and one of my Volvo's, the good old AA pointed me in the right direction both times, and told me to go to the scrappers and just look for the same engine and take the part off one of them, only one bolt to hold them on, the AA are amongst the cleverest men in the country.
1st Jun 10 09:06

Focusssss

Hi. My focus died, just wouldn't start. RAC checked and loads of fault codes came up. Checked on the internet and fault poits to camshaft sensor. Had that changed by the garage 1hours labour + £20 for the part. Car srats first time, better power. Have ford changed this on your car ???
1st Jun 10 09:06

Haim Levi

hi....
Forgeve me if my english is not god !
I think that the problame is in the starting relay in the fuse box.
haim ..... israel

spryboy

Not sure if anyone can help. Have changed the cam belt on my 03 1.8TDCi focus and now won,t start.Have checked and double checked timing and all is good.(easy enough job to do).
I have fuel injectors but the injectors are not pulsing electrically.I have checked resistance on crank sensor and is fine.Have checked feed to cam sensor-ok.My code reader doesn't want to communicate with the ecu for some reason! Any ideas would be great thanks
1st May 10 12:05

Paul

I had a similar probelm on my 2003 Mondeo diesel mine stopped and the heater coil light flashed, then it would start as normal until the next day and a repeat of the problem,I don't care for the rip off main dealer network, so I took it to my local garage where it's always serviced, they ran a diagnostic on it and found it was a camshaft sensor, put a new one on problem gone.
TC Harrison wanted £120.00 for testing only, my local garage tested got and fitted part £91.00p.
Main dealers no thanks

Rider of the Apocalypse

Why dont you try changing your glow plugs, simples.

focus dilema

We have a similar problem with our Ford Focus Diesel. It is not starting. It seems to be some sort of fuel problem. The filter has been changed but if it is driven a short distance without any revving up it is really hard to start if switched off. sometimes it will have to be towed to start. If we park it on a downward slope we dont have the problem! It is as though there is a vacuum and the fuel is emptying out of the filter bowl and running back to the tank

irene

hi my foucs is a 52 and has the same problem when you start it it ok if it been for a run but if not you can not start it again had crankshaft sensor fitted work for short time but gone wrong again now

Te Swaar

Hi my ford focus tdci 2007 was fine until a fault report which read "water in tank" and a brake light faultand could not even crank. We drained the diesel in the filter but the brke light fault remains. the car just wont crank even after replacing the battery. What could be the problkem?
Worried S.A.

i no stuff

fly wheel senser is the problm its mounted on gear box easy to change and only cost 30 pounds

yoni

my ford mondeo 2001 start jumping on the road, what to do?

Robbo 91

Hi wonderin if any body here has had the same problem I have a 1.8 tdci focus it starts but as soon as you touch the brakes the engine looses power and dies when tryin to restart it I can here a clicking come from the fuse box any suggestions

Ronnie

Hi everyone I own a 2003 ford focus 1.8 tdci 115 ps. Just recently it has been starting ok then after a short journey it is refusing to start it just turns over but wont burst into life. I had a crankshaft sensor fitted and a camshaft sensor fitted but the problem was still there.After reading the comments from (Retford Badger) and (John M) I had my air intake shut off flap cleaned out and it has solved the problem.
I cant thank you enough as you have saved me a load of cash and grief as I was at the stage of whipping my car with a large branch.

Naomi

If you buy a used car from a trader it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for the purpose, and as described.If you have the car on Hire purchase finance then it is their responsibility to fix the car or cancel your credit agreement. If you paid in full then it is responsibility of the dealer write to the apropriate company explaining the problems and quoting the Sale of Goods Act 1979 setting a time limit of when they should reply, i.e 7 days. If within this time they do not come up with a reasonable solution to your problem, you should write to the financial ombudsmun. I have had the same problem with my focus, this is now the 4th time in 7months that it has broken.
22nd Dec 09 05:12

Lee

Tell them to get it sorted and you ain`t paying any more.

riskly

ford focus 18tdci fuel leak on overspill pipe . I had a leak here and went to ford garage who quoted 50 +vat for part and £90 hour labour. other quotes were up to over £300 I took car to my local garage and mechanic fixed leak with an o ring cost 7 pence and 30 pound labour .just to show its best to shop around

Gainsborough lad.

Subi, a starter motor is usually held on by only three bolts, go to your scrapyard and get one there, it is a supprisingly easy job to do.

Subi

To add further to my previous comment.
If you have Mechanical breakdown cover from one of the main Roadside recovery companies (one is mentioned in a comment further below in the posts) it most probably will be covered.
Mine is but I have to wait for few days due to policy validation stuff I need to sort out.

Subi

Hi, I experienced the same problems yesterday and still am but not with Ford but with the car.
Looks like your starter motor ceased up.
A workaround (temporarily) normally is to give the starter motor a whack on a bit to the side of it (I think), then try starting the engine.
A Roadside recovery (reputable one) looked at my car today and showed the workaround and it did get the car started every time.
I will follow this workaround until another few days or so, till I can buy a Ford Focus 1.6 Starter Motor (new one) for around £50 +under £10 postage. and get my mechanic to do it.

Gainsborough lad.

Iknow this is an advertisment, but for peace of mind it's best to be in the AA home start, then when you have a problem, they will tell you what it is, I really rate them for this, clever blokes.

Carl Yeomans

Can anyone help me?. I have a 98 focus est 1.8DI, the car has be great until the other day. Got into my car and all I got was click. I bought a new battery,still the same click. I replaced the starter motor, I tested it before fitting, all was fine. Still I get a click and wont start. All the lights are bright on the dash, I even turned on the headlights when trying to start the car to see if there is a drop in power to the lights, but they still stay bright. Iam at a loss and cant think of anything else to try.

Carl.

gary

I just bought a 07 plate 1.8 tdci ford focus a week ago and it wont start,it cut out at a roundabout got it started then got home now it wont start has anybody else had a simular problem?

stuart

I had the same problem with my ford focus tdi 1998 not so long ago I replaced the fuel pump at great cost after ford telling me that it was the fault which I had no queries with that because I had a secand mechanic look at it but after fitting the pump it still wouldnt start so I have replaced the glow plugs now it seems to start a lot better I dont no if this will be any help to you just thought I would let you no after reading your problem
1st Dec 09 05:12

Retford Badger

Good advice from john m re the air intake shut off flap. I had this problem with my Focus 1.8tdci not restarting after a very short journey - had to call the RAC out and the very efficient guy found the problem and sorted it in minutes!

Gainsborough lad.

My best advice to anybody with an old car or two, is to be in the AA home start, it is peace of mind,

The times they have opened my boot and said "cut a hole in the bodywork there and tap your petrol pump like you would tap a starter motor" and the car starts, or "your crankshaft sensor is corroded or dirty, clean it or get one from the scrap yard with the same engine" or they tell you that "your starter motor has had it", and you get a replacement from the scrap yard,

I know this looks like an advert for the AA, but it is peace of mind, they tell you what to do, and most of the blokes that work for them, know all there is to know about cars. they are amongst the cleverest blokes in the country.

badboy

hi to all you focus owners ive just gone out to my 1.8 tddi focus this morning and the damm thing wont start its never let us down before was driving it last night with no probs at all
but this morning the thing wont start
ill not be taking it to fords they just out to take your money !
some of these back street boys have forgot more than the mechanics at fords know and with all the technology still dont know there a from there elbow.

john m

air intake shut off flap sometimes jams shut and won't let air in to inlet manifold,the vac unit/flap is part of the inlet manifold and it doesn't show on diagnostics machine as vac unit has no electronic sensor to tell pcm were it is
3rd Nov 09 09:11

Oblomov

The most common problem with diesel and can be be indicative of oter faults, is air being drawn into the fuel system. Check for the clear plastic fuel pipe, most a black plastic but you will find a clear one... well opaque but check for air bubbles in the pipe. then, check all the slide connectors, the ease of assembly the push fit joints have small rubber 'o' rings that harden and allow air to pass.

shana

check the sensor that is attached to clutch or trans when you shift into gear. Mine did the same thing. 34.00 for the part (2002 Ford Foucs)

dieselal

hiya 90% of problems are caused by faulty fuel injectors ford normally overlook this as it is something that is mechaniacal and cannot be moniterd by the ecm. the cam sensor should be grey not black and should have a 12 volt supply to it, the early focus only had a 5 volt feed to it but was modifed around 2005 but I still see focus`s with 5 volts at the cam sensor.

Jonsun

Thanks for this very valuable information. I have now decided not to take my Focus in to the dealers for diagnostics as, unlike you, I will not survive such a cost!! Especially if they haven't found the problem. My Focus has a similar problem with intermittent cut-out and I am replacing the camshaft sensor (CMP) today. It's a process of elimination, have fixed the air pipes, cleaned the injectors and replaced the glow plugs. CMP next...we'll see??

wild willie

i have a 02 ford focus that has full power but it wont turn over or start
22nd Jul 09 12:07

Serreno

So ,sorry ,the problem is the fuel pump.Fuel system,gasoline recall.

Serreno

There was a recall on Ford Focus 2001.I have one and the recall is for 10 years,however my vin # is not in this batch.It is listed by Ford and the NHTSA.I am waiting to hear from Ford ,my mechanic says it will be about $900.00 to replace.If they will not fix,I will file complaint.Because it is exactly the same problem.

Markc

Take your car back to the dealer. You have paid them to fix a fault, but the fault is still there. The repair should at least have the labour under warranty. Any decent garage will give a warranty on ther work. usually 3 months. if in any doubt contact trading standards, but try the nice approach first before getting heavy.
2nd Jul 09 04:07

Chezza

Hi, does anyone know where I can locate the carburettor in a Ford Forcus Zetec 04 reg. I took my car to Ford and they said, after putting it on the computer, that I needed to get a new cat converter, after they gave me a price I then took it to a local garage to have it done there. I also had new lambda sensors put in. The Engine Management Unit light which had been coming on prior to these works being carried out did not come on (hurrah). However...2 weeks down the line the light comes on again and I am told that the carburettor needed cleaning. I bought a can of cleaner but I have no idea where it is...could someone help and also point me to the direction where I can get a diagram of how to do this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DAVE C

HI
yes know how you feel my management warning light came on took it to my main dealer at Southend on sea charged me £250 but then said they could not find the problem, would not release the car unless I paid so should you pay for a non result?????????

Sceptre.

Hi, i'm here again, just had a price from a main Ford dealer. I wanted the Fuel pressure rail sensor, they stated that I would have to buy it complete with the fuel rail at a cost of £151.75 + vat + £30 deposit until I returned the old one. I think Ford were right, the life of their cars is only 5 years, What are Kias' like.

Sceptre.

My March 02 Focus Tdci (I've had it from new) up until last Nov. has given excellent service and reliability but since then first the clutch collapsed, main dealer had to replace master cylinder and also the pedal box, this cost almost £700, tried to get Ford to pay part of this and their comment was 'The life of our cars is only 5 years' and cut the conversation short. I am now having problems starting first thing in a morning, took it to a local garage and they fitted a new camshaft sensor and wiring plug cost £180. now this morning it was still difficult to start butO.K once running. If as Ford say the life is only 5 years. SHOULD I TAKE IT TO THE KNACKERS YARD???

terrytrout

hi,
the car has now been running perfect for a week now.fitted a new fuel rail pressure sensor, but the problem remained, so fitted a cam shaft position sensor and everything is back to normal.
if your car is pre 11/2002 you want to be fitting a grey sensor. also you may need a new connector and wire. this will cost you £49.00 plus vat.
check the part number of the new connector with the old connector.if they are the same, you do not have to fit the new connector as it has already been updated. no need to worry about the cost cause you can get a reimbursement.

terrytrout

hi
I've been having the same problems with my 02 1.8 tdci ghia, cutting out and starting problems.I plugged it into a computer and it said it was a fuel rail pressure sensor and a cam position sensor, so I replaced the fuel rail sensor and still had the same problem. I then fitted the cam shaft sensor and this seems to have sorted the problem out. They say that if your car is pre 11/2002 make sure you fit a grey sensor, but!! you will also have to buy the plug and wire to go with it. You have to cut the wires of the old plug and solder the new wires of the new sensor in.
cost for the plug and wire is £50.00 believe it or not, the sensor is £18.00, both plus the vat.
it will take you approx 30mins all together to do. no need to get a mechanic, it is easy.

The problem caused is that if the electrical resistance in the old wire alters, the engine management thinks that there is something wrong with the timing and shuts the engine down. this is to prevent further damage. watch this space !!!

miffed

...and another one. Our 66000 mile 52 plate 1.8 TDCi has exactly the same trouble. Ford garage (where we bought it new & had serviced it) "fixed" it by fitting a new turbo intercooler hose. We still had trouble & eventually were towed in by the RAC who took it to an independant repair shop. £1700 later it is off the road again refusing to start at all. Diagnostic checks apparently say that there is nothing wrong!!

PaulB

It's amazing what can happen in a couple of days, I found this site when trying to find out a potential reason why my Focus 1.8 TDCi (55k miles) was having problems starting in the morning.
On Monday, 5th Jan, the car cut out on me in the outside lane of the M4. I now have a £1200 repair bill to replace the fuel pump! Happy New Year!

The list of things that I've now paid out for (so far) on my car are:

Cam belt (36k miles)
Cam shaft position sensor (38k miles)
New water pump (The old one blew up on the A34) (40k miles)
**I'm suspicious that the cam belt change caused the cam shaft position and water pump problems
Fuel pump (55k miles)

PaulB

In reply to Duncan, if your 02 cuts out for no reason, get the cam shaft position sensor checked out.. I had this problem with my 02 1.8 TDCI.. it happened to me on a winding country road - not a nice place to lose power and power steering! The glow plug light flashed several times before the car lost power.
1st Jan 09 11:01

steve

I agree that ford`s products are rubbish at the moment, they have cut costs so much that quality has gone bye bye. In the uk emission regs are so tight that these cost cutting ideas have killed the car`s reliability. Ford only offer 60.000 miles 3 years warranty, where as other cheaper manufactures offer 100.000 5 years. Ford would`nt last a week if they gave that much warranty.
1st Dec 08 09:12

Sam, the Tiger

Just to make a point. I recently sold my 1982 (Mint condition) VW Rabbit with a fuel injection after twenty years. This little snot would sit out the winter months in my garage under subzero temperatures (minus 10 to 25C).

Well, well - every two weeks, I would run the motor. When I hit the ignition, It would crank and start in seconds. In seconds. So what is wrong with Focus in the UK (your climate is nowhere near ours in severity, certainly less protracted too. Our North American compacts are just as rotten - but not our full size cars. Mine would fire up even at - 35C outside, even if undriven and hibernated for weeks on end.
1st Dec 08 09:12

Sam, the Tiger

As a North American, we should support Ford, Chevrolet, GM and their ilk to circumvent the need for a bailout; but they lose out to Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, so on.

Dollar for dollar, size for size, why bother with Focus or Sunfire or Sunbird when for the same price one can get a Matrix, Corolla, Fit, Echo (replaced by Yaris). Honestly, I don't think Focus commands a market here as it does in England and Ireland - I believe.

My next new car will be a rice car. I cannot afford to be xenophobic when it comes to picking a vehicle and protecting my bank account. All things being equal, I'm prepared to go North American, not otherwise. Like I said, I can't afford not to be pragmatic.
1st Dec 08 08:12

Steve

Check the cam postion sensor on top of the rocker cover, make sure its grey in colour and not black.(if fitted).The pcm requires a signal from the crank and cam sensors to sync the injection timing and find cyl 1 ,with out this engine sync fuel will not be injected, or may inject at the wrong time..I ve also known duel mass flywheels to wear and give wrong signals.I had the same problem with the pump (they are not good) even new one`s can be faulty.If theres DTC`s for timing out try another pump or check the pump timing as slighty out can stop the engine starting, (the pump has a sensor and it checks it against the CKP signal )

Chris

I have a 1.8 focus tdci (53 plate)which has pronounced difficulty starting from cold. After taking it to numerous ford dealers none of which have managed to diagnose the problem.. According to them apparently there is'nt one.. Of course we all must be wrong..

georgeman

Ive an 04 focus 1.8tdci, and just had the same problems - starting, and also cutting out when slowing down. Diagnosis found the IMV sensor valve thingy to blame. Hope this helps

georgeman

duncan

Same problem as everyone else, either will not start or cuts out for no reason (Ford focus diesel. zetec)
True is a 02 model but has done less than 50,000 miles. Fine car when it goes but its so unreliable you get anxious every time you go out in it, what happens if you are in the outer lane on the motorway and it suddenly cuts out ? Perhaps someone has to be seriously injured or killed before Ford take this as serious.
I cannot understand why this car was given such a high rating for being reliable, which clearly it is not if you look at the many posts on the internet about this problem.

wellsy

I have a rs turbo 1988 starts only on cold starts then cuts out sraight away changed everything dont know what else to suggest anybody got any ideas what could be causing the problem please let me know

Mmik

RE Bruno:
Your fuel pump could well be at fault. 61000 miles if not too bad for a fuel pump. Servicing has nothing to do with fuel pump life, it is not a servicable item. Dirty fuel and running the car low on fuel regularly can ruin a fuel pump at a much lower mileage.
1st Nov 08 02:11

jinx

Ive got a focus tddi w.reg starts and drives fine but somtimes wont start it cranks over and throws smoke out of the exhaust but wont go anyone got any ideas to problem please let me know

Cynical Sid

Find any cure you like, just don't by a BMW or a french car and you'll be okay!

Jay

Just bought my FIRST CAR. I thought 'Lets go with Ford, they're reliable.' 2003 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4L. Sometimes it starts and runs perfect, sometimes it just doesn't want to know. Reading the comments below, Im definatly not feeling confident about Ford. Ahhh. Any quick magic cures?

fordfxxxus

bought focus tdci 1.8 yesterday today heaterplug light comes on but engine will not start when light goes out, engine will not turn over, and heater plug flashes on and off

Bruno

I have a ford focus 2002 with 61989 miles on clock recently the fuse on the fuel pump keeps blowing and affectively immobilises the car. The recovery guy states the fuel pump is on its way out. Surely not after the low milage on car with regular service.

Anyone offer advice; is this an electrical fault or something more ?

alan

Had similar problem and I too had the run around,until a good diesel mechanic found the diesel hoses to the injectors were leaking. Renewed all hose problem gone :-).Hope this helps

John C.I

I had a diesel VW passat a couple of years ago and had the very same problem. Went to a number of garages they could not find anything wrong.

I was talking to an apprentice at a VW dealer who invited to have a look at his home workshop. Within 30 mins the problem was sorted once and for all.

All he replaced was the shims / tappets these look like £ coins. The cost £50 and that included labour. Ask a local mechanic to check this as main dealers are reluctant to do this they want to extract as much cash from you as they can.

Let me know how you get on......

Lane:)

I have owned my 2001 Ford Focus for about 3 years... I hope this makes some sense... It was good for the first year, until July 2008. It starts up fine, but after a few startups it doesn't start, it dies. I have too press on the gas too start it up and keep it going, once I take my foot off of the gas or come to a complete stop, it cuts out and dies. If I take it on the highway it usually snaps out of it or if I let it sit for a few hours. I'm confused?? Is it the gas filter, sensor, or fuel pump... something else?

nate

I have the same problem, has anyone figured it out yet. I am a mechanic and have tried everything, but cant figure it out.
23rd Sep 08 03:09

charlotte

hi, iv had my 05 focus for 9months its a 2litre petrol. and by the sounds of it im having the same problems as everyone else. iv been to the ford garage twice and they dont seem to no whats wrong with it and dont really care. it just doesnt seem to want to start sometimes.doesnt matter if its warm or cold. im just pulling my hair out with it. im taking it to another garage tomorrow but would appreciate if anyone could email me asap if they have managed to solve the problem
thanks
charlottebeecheno@hotmail.co.uk
21st Sep 08 05:09

charlotte

thanks
charlottebeecheno@hotmail.co.uk
21st Sep 08 05:09

red head

its not a pump prob or crank shaft sensor its the electrics on top of the pump BUT its near on impossible to change so its a new pump a common fault on the tdi sensor had it check by fords it could be three things crank shaft sensor NO fuel pipes & fitter houseing NO last and dearest the pump YES hope this helpsred head

woz.d

I too have a ford focus estate 1.8lx tdi and have owned the car for over 6 years with no problems until it cut out on me with no warning a couple of weeks ago. the ford garage diaganosed a fuel pump problem and replaced it at a cost of nearly £1400. I collected the car on monday and drove it home 300 miles ( I was on holiday when it broke down) parked out side my garage to unload and tried to start it again but to no avail. the symptons were the same as before, plenty of juice in the battery, starter motor turning over but the car refuses to run. have had the car recovered to another ford garage and am awaiting their opinion on the problem. will mention the camshaft sensor if they don't and see what they say.
2nd Sep 08 03:09

pauly hughes

on driving my ford focus 2003 1.8 TDCI the engine just cut out and I came to a steady stop from 60mph ,, RAC did a diagnostic test and it flashed up cam shaft sensor fault

Quicksilver

Hi to all who like myself seem to be doomed with their focus. I bought a 02 plate 1.8TDCi Ford Focus Estate. I too am having the start up problem. Mine has done 208K but obviously this is not related with the problem as everybody has this problem regardless of milage. Yes whilst turning the ignition key if gas is given then yes it starts. I too have a motorway engine cut off over 70mph. My car has many modifications including bluefin. 137bhp total. But anyway If maybe a collective letter of concern to Ford may atleast get them to investigate this problem?
23rd Aug 08 10:08

Sparky19692

Ive got a 2005 1.6 petrol ford focus and I also have this problem! ive taken it back to the dealer for a diagnostics report and it came up clear, they told me to bring it back when it doesnt start at all! Thank god ive got breakdown cover!! I would say it happenes about 2 or 3 times every month. Ive heard something about, there is no drainage system and the car is just flooded, you need to push the fuel through. If you turn the key and dab the accelerator and after about 3 seconds release the key, that sometimes works for me.

Mark R.

This has been happening to my focus for a while now... seems to be a heat problem... when the car is running "something" gets heated up. Once turned off the car wont start up right away. Give it about 20 mins to cool down and itll start right up!!! Sucks...

<< AJ 17 >>

I too was having problems with my Focus 03 1.8 TDCi ...it was cranking but not starting. Initially it happened now and then upon trying to start, but after a few attempts in started. Then occasionally it would cut out while driving. Each time this occured the glow-plug light flashed. After reading these post (and others) it appeared the most likely part at fault was the Camshaft Sensor. Today my car (being towed because by now the car would not start at all) went into the Ford garage in Banbury ...they changed the Camshaft Sensor and the car now works! I have only drove a few miles so far but fingers crossed this appears to have done the trick! :D Oh, PS: Camshaft Sensors are about £25.00 each and should take under an hour to fit!. I'll post again if I have any problems (so hopefully this is my only post! :b). AJ.

Hartley

Well I am back here again. After having a new PCM fitted in early April my 03 Focus 1.8Tdi has failed to start again. The dealer charged me only the differance in this part over the pump valve assembly, fuel manifold assembly, fuel injection pipes and camshaft position sensor they fitted at Christmas to no effect. Changing the PCM also has not worked as when I 'tested' the restarting after a short run not long enough to get the engine warm my car failed to start. Now back with the dealer a fourth time to see if they can fix the problem.

Daisy

the starter you have to bang it a few times,it's happened to me too.
1st Jul 08 01:07

Bernie

I am currently experiencing starting problems with my 1999 diesel 1800 ford focus after having a replacement fuel injection pump fitted.Sometimes it starts without a hitch but on other occasions it takes a prolonged period of cranking to get the car started.I have been told by a mechanic ,who has had a look at it,that the heater relay to the plugs ,does not always receive power. to operate it The relay has been checked out o.k but he says that he is unable to locate the fault .he has told me that on occaisions that the engine does not start to close the relay points manually for 10 seconds and then turn on the ignition.I have tried this and it works but this does not solve the problem. I would be grateful if anyone out there has had a similar problem and found the cause.

Shellyrv@hotmail.com

My Ford Focus LX 2000 started to have problems... luego de que le dieron servicio a sistema de aire acondicionado, se creia en un principio se habia mojado y circuitado el alternador, pero luego de hacerle el cambio, continuo con el mismo problema, se corta la corriente, por lo que aparentemente puede ser la computadora que se daño, podria alguien decirme si conoce donde puedo conseguirla y si es asi favor de ponerse en contacto conmigo de manera urgente..MIL GRACIAS.

Mike

My Ford Focus 2002 1.8 TDCi 74,000 miles started to have major starting problems 3/4 months ago with the engine almost jumping out of the bonnet!--I thought that the Glow plus were the problem but the local garage in Horsham spend quite a time trying to diagnose and have cured the problem by fitting a new Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS)--Time will tell however but it seems to have done the trick.

focus drama

las night broke down in 99 focus 1.8tddi, just lost power and had to pull over was really low in fuel so thought addding more would help,still didnt start despite cranking over several times,in the end wouldnt even turn over even though there was still power in the battery,immobilised still locked and unlocked the car lights worked and so did horn,guess its the "static" problem,am just about to ring mechanic to go with me over there to seee whats happening.any ideas?

louiscamacho2003@yahoo.com

have problem with Ford Focus 2002.
starts when it is only cold. after rumnning must be totally cooled or won't start. Usually an hour does it but sometimes it needs more. any ideas ?
louiscamacho2003@yahoo.com
23rd May 08 10:05

mandy

My car is currently at a Ford Dealer with the same problem. Its been there for over a week please contact me if you have any advise - mandynicholas@aol.com
21st May 08 02:05

lee brindley

My 2002 ford focus is playing up too had it 5 months 97000 miles not so much problem with the cold start but it stuters round corners cutts out when I brake hard
now wons start at all ive changed the crank shaft sencer no change got a new cam shaft senser and now it wont start im w8ing on someone to come reset the foult codes hope it works

Lynz

I wish I'd readthis before I bought my 2004 115ps tdci focus!! bought it in jan of this year and almost from day one had problems. Cold mornings you have to keep the key turned while it splutters and chugs then finaly starts. Then you chug down the street until the engine warms up and then things aren't too bad. Took it back to garage as I had a 6 month warranty-seems it ain't worth the paper its written on- they say there's nothing wrong with the car (although there wasa hole in the turbo pipe which is now fied but hasn't resolved the cold start problem). Car ok now the warmer months are in but still feels chuggy at motorway speeds. Car been back to garage 3-4 times now but they still refuse to admit there's a problem leaving me no choice but to put it up for sale -I don't want another winter with it!

Rosh

I have exactly the same problem - it won't start after a short run and now is beginning to do it after a long one. This has been going on a year - the model is TDCi 2003. I have spent £1900 so far and need to leave it in again. I have had cambelt sensor, new fuel pump, two new injectors, and two diagnostics by Ford that said it needed recallebrated the engine management. I have struggled with this since my baby was 1 month old - often finding myself stranded with her in the car.
Ford just don't want to know - I have explained the problem until I am blue in the face and they still won't do anything except a diagnostic.
I have finally written into Watchdog website as I believe it is a fault with the car - I urge you to do the same please.

Paul

I also have a 02 reg 1.8 TDCI Focus. Again it has had a history of failing to restart after a short period of running. Again the local Ford dealer have looked at it on 6 or 7 occisions over more than 2 years. They have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor (twice), told me not to buy supermarket diesel, upgarded teh software and replaced the enginer management system. Interestingly they have now also replaceed teh flywheel which they report as having to much play. This seems to match with the comments by Steve.

The big difference for me is that I bought the car used approved and have not been charged for any of this work even though the warranty period has now passed. Therefore I would like to give a positive mention to John Grose of Ipswich.

Just hope that this really does fix it.

DaveB

The camshaft sensor is a common problem on the 1.8 TDCi engine. The original one fitted to the vehicle has a design fault and does not always send a large enough signal to the ECU. I had my Focus cutout on me twice in two days (no notice, but a complete loss of power). Interestingly enough, the heater light just started flashing at the same time. By the time the AA came to rescue me, the car just started up and ran fine. After the 2nd failure, the garage checked the car out and replaced the faulty camshaft sensor with an uprated version (I think all new ones are now uprated). This fixed the problem, and alsoimproved the performance of the car which I hadn't noticed had degraded.

Hartley

GK - The fault with your Focus sounds exactly the same as the problem mine has.
I have an 03 TDCi 115 brought 2nd hand in 2004 with 15000miles. No major problems with starting etc until April 07 started having problems re starting after a short run from cold. Would have to turn it over 20-30 times to get it to go. In July 07 (78000 miles or so) moved my car from the front of my flat to the car park at the back then went back to it some time later in the day and it would not go at all. Flattened the battery trying to start it. Went into the local Ford Dealers where they carried out an IDS check for non start and found fault code P0191 fuel rail pressure sensor. They reprogrammed the PCM and injector valves £100. Went on my way - but the fault was still there though with problems restarting after a short run (Less than 2 miles) from cold. Thought I had the knack of starting it with short turns on the ignition managed to start it on 4 or 5 occassions turning the starter over 20-30 times. Was riding my luck though as the Friday before Christmas the car completely refused to start. Mileage was now (86000). Car went back to the same Ford Dealer. This time they had it for a couple of weeks and they carried out a WDS check and fitted new fuel metering head, pressure valve assembly, camshaft sensor with new fuel injector pipe assembly £700. Having got the car back starting from cold was worse with quite a bit of smoke especially on cold days but at least it went. Avoided doing short runs fom cold ie. made sure the engine was warm before stopping. However last week did a short run in the morning parked up for the day and returned to my car in the evening and again it would not go. Back to the same Ford Dealer this time they want to change the engine management system for more money.
Having read your report GK now not convinced that this will sort the problem. I see your issue arose in July 07 - did you eventually find the cause or have you given up on your Focus?

Burkey

I don't like the sound of these posts! Just bought an '03 1.8 TDCI two weeks ago from a private seller. I've noticed on the colder mornings (and I don't mean frost), that its slow to start but gets there with a little encouragement - not the kind of thing ya want in a new purchase. The other day it didn't start at all, this was a bright evening. The engine turned over but no ignition. The mechanic told me over the phone he thinks it might be a faulty sensor - sounds like it might be the crankshaft sensor from reading the other posts. Fingers crossed anyway!

Jasper

Can anyone help? It seems Fords main south east repair garage (haynes) have no idea, and have already had the car for 3 weeks. Recently purchased a 54 plate 1.8 TDCI and after just 200 miles I started to experience problems. The car is starting ok but there is a terrible rattling from the camshaft area, lack of power and eventually stalls. Sometimes it may tick over without showing any signs of a problem until the revs are raised. Its already had a new set of injectors and the ECU has been decoded and remapped twice. Or at least thats what they have told me!!

Mal

IVOR,

In response to your post, I was wondering how you got on with the new air sensor. Having read your post, I think our cars have exactly the same problem/fault. I have had all the things changed as you have but luckily it's under warranty and I have not paid for anything...'yet'. Cold mornings, does not start and makes a juddering noise. After long runs, does not want to start and shakes more like a tractor than the cold morning start. I wondered how you got on with the Air Mas Sensor. This is doing my nut in. Ford Dealer have had it pretty much on and off for about 3.5 months. Every time they say it's fixed and every time I get in the car and start it from cold (its always warm when I pick it up from garage) the fault is there. ARHHHHHHHH.

Mia

I bought my Ford Focus 1.8Tdci 2002 used in July 2007, it was running perfectly until as some of you will be all to familiar with the cold weather started and my car decided it was to cold to leave the drive!! However me and my car got through this and after the first few attempts it realised it had no choice but to go although each morning it protested. However I thought my problem was nearly over as it became less frequent and had almost dissapeared, until I filled it up on the 28.01.08 (Tuesday) it was running fine although it seemed a little sluggish. Friday on my way home from work my car came to a standstill in the middle of the road at first I thought it had stalled, I am a female driver after all and this is not uncommon, so I went to start the engine up again and nothing after my third attempt it did start but as I went to drive off the same thing happened, without so much as a warning light. I decide to rest it reluctantly for about ten to fifteen minutes and tried again, yippee it started and it moved what a luxury. So here we are Monday and after a call from the garage they have run it on the " Diagnostics Machine " and it shows the Crankshaft Sensor is to blame they think!! Confused, It gets better they also inform me that the full tank of Diesel is now a lovely shade of Blue and possibly contaminated as it doesn't resemble Diesel in it's colour, smell and consistency. This now leaves me confused and on the Tube and waiting for another call from the garage after they run the wonderful diagnostics machine again.

esla

I own a 2004 Focus Tdci Sport. I have only owned the Vehcile since April 2007. It had 45k back then and has now got 67k on the clock. The car was running fine until about 2 months ago when I could hear rattling from the engine on starting. To cut a long story short the rattle got worse every day, particulary worse when it was started warm. I took it to Ford to get it diagnosed and they told me it was a flywheel problem and this would have to be changed along with the starter at a cost of 1400 pounds. Eventually I bought the flywheel myself of LK motor parts for 220 quid and also a starter for 120 quid, took them to my garage and he charged me 250 quid labour. So it cost me 590 pounds in the end which isnt bad considering ford were going to charge me 1400.

FOCUS USERS

I suggest you check the glow plugs if the car fails to start in cold conditions.My focus comes with a TDDI engine which had a similer problem...it was due to a faulty large loom in the engine compartment (apparently there was a loose connection due to dirt) You may also visit www.honestjohn.co.uk and email john for advise

Steve

They are onto something with the crankshaft sensor, but it's not the sensor at fault. The crankshaft sensor takes its reading from the flywheel, which is a dual mass item on the TDCi Focus. Effectively 2 flywheels sandwiched together that can rotate independently of each other to a limited extent to isolate engine vibrations from the transmission.

Sometimes the flywheel start to loose the resistance between the 2 parts and the movement between them is not controlled, this leads to the crankshaft sensor mis-reading the crankshaft position, and in turn the injectors are fired too early or too late relative to the position of the pistons. Hence the poor starting!

So the problem is the flywheel, which may also cause damage to the starter motor teeth.

IVOR

I have an April 2003 Focus Tdci 115 from new done 47000 miles. Last winter 2006 cold starting became a problem and the car refused to start on first attempt resulting in three or more attempts to start. I mentioned this to the garage when I put the car in for service and MOT in March 2007. They said the engine management needed reprogrammed and this cost me an additional 70 quid. After this service as we were heading towards better weather I did not notice the cold starting problem again. However over the summer I found the car refused to start after a long run. The engine would rattle on starting or it would refuse to start altogether and would take three or more attempts to start. So it went back to Ford about 4 weeks ago and this time they said it needed a new crankshaft sensor. This was replaced at a cost of 120 quid. However the starting problem is still there and now it refuses to start first time on cold mornings and refuses to start after a long run. So I took it back to Ford again who told me that it needs a mass air sensor replaced at a cost of 220 quid.
I told them that their initial diagnosis was incorrect and that the crankshaft sensor was not needing replaced. I spoke with the techician and he told me that a faulty crankshaft sensor would mean that the car would not start at all. As this was not the case with my car I said that it was not necessary to relace the sensor then. He then said that the car may still start with a faulty sensor and that the diagnostic computer informed them last time that the crankshaft sensor needed replaced. He also said that the faulty crankshaft sensor may have put additional strain on other sensors resulting in a faulty air mass sensor now. I feel this is all BOLLOCKS!
I feel I have been shafted. Has anyone else had a similar problem or can offer advice on my dilemna ? The car is still in the garage awaiting replacement of the air mass sensor.
3rd Dec 07 01:12

Clifford

I own a Ford 1.8 TDCI 2002 and starting got fussier after the first two years and 20,000 miles.
I took it to my dealer,they re- programmed the ECU:I couldn't see the difference.
I carried on and at 45,000 miles the Dualmass flywheel and/or starter motor were in my view to blame as it now starts better than ever.A costly exercise at £1245.00.
I don't know if my problem has anything to do with other owners cars,but correct me if i'm wrong,a diesel engine would be more reliant on the momentum of it's starter motor than a petrol because of the higher compression.I also now realise that a good starter motor has a certain sound to it, and I had'nt noticed it had gone away.
Ford of course don't want to know.I am presently in negotiation with the SMMT,but I won't get my hopes up.I chose the nickname clifford because I own a ford and would like to drive it off a cliff.

faltypneho

I have read elsewhere that the PATS system suffers from static charge and if this is the case the car will normally restart perfrectly after veing left to discharge - this has happened to me twice now.

Sandie

I am also experiencing an intermittant fault with my Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec TDI 53 plate which I bought used in May 2007. I had 4 months when starting wasn't an issue then with no warning after previously driving it the same day it would not start. First fix was recalibrating the Engine Managment system. £70 2 weeks later same thing happened in a pub car park - camshaft postion sensor (£125) 3 days later it died after a diesel fill up (but eventually started after 6 attempts) fuel pump valve replaced (£159), similar thing happened again today after filling up eventually started after locking and unclocking the car - is this fuel problem of immobilisor problem.

Any suggestions.

Beefmonkey

Thanks Anon,

I'm having similar problems with Renault and your advice is very useful.

Anon

You entered into an agreement with the dealer not diagnostics. You are their customer and therefore it is their responsibility to resolve this.
Don't take any excuses from them and inform them that you will talk to trading standards if this matter is not resolved to your satisfaction. When you go to see them take a friend in a suit with you and tell them that he is your legal advisor. Inform them that he will be making a record of your conversation to be used in the event that you have to take legal proceedings. That should scare them enough to try and help a bit more.