Fee charged for cancelling my car insurance policy

When taking out a motor insurance policy, my advice is read the small print very carefully, particularly the section that mentions cancellation rates and fees.  In the case of my insurance policy, it turns out that the cancellation fee is pro-rata plus one month.  Think carefully when you decide to cancel how much money you will lose and bear in mind theres also possibly the No claims bonus you may loose as well.

I had to sell my car as the road tax and MOT were due to expire within weeks of each other.  There wasn't much wrong with the car, but I just couldn't afford the 150-200 it would probably take to keep the car on the road.  The reason things are so tough is that I went self employed last year and I still barely make 800 a month (before tax and NI).  My insurance policy still had over a month so I figured as I was paying monthly Id save a little bit there as well.

Fortunately I don't need the car every day and yes, I am aware that a car for me is really a luxury that I don't actually NEED.  I don't have to commute to work and my partner has a car anyway.  It does come in useful to take my son out somewhere if we're on our own and its useful for picking up a large amount of shopping etc, apart from that I can cycle instead.

Cancelling my car insurance policy All this and the financial side of things helped me come to the decision that it was time for the car to go.  So I listed her on eBay a week ago and the car was picked up today leaving me 99 richer wow, what a bargain!

As I mentioned earlier I still had some time left on my insurance policy, about 5 weeks in fact, so rather than just stopping the direct debit I decided to ring up and cancel first.  That's the right way to do things and it all went straight forward until I was told that I'd have to still pay 14 next month as part of the insurance cancellation fee.

What the heck is that all about? As this was the final month anyway Id only be saving about 6.  I decided to carry on and cancel my policy anyway because, well lets face it, six pounds is cash in the bank and I could really do with it.  Even funnier, they actually expect me to send them back the insurance certificate - at my cost!

I can understand a cancellation fee for an insurance policy that hasn't been running very long, but so close to the renewal date it's quite frankly ridiculous.  They've had very nearly the whole year out of me and I just wanted to cancel that last month.  Im paying them 14 for what?  I reckon it's a fee to press a button and to punish me for deciding to stop paying for something I don't need.

By: The uninsured

angry_guy

I have to pay 800 pounds cancellation fee just because I'm paying monthly instead of annually, which would have meant I would need to pay 5000 pounds per year for an old car worth 150 pounds.... This is outragous. I'm 19, never had any claims, accidents or anything.. safe driving and this is what happened to me when I try to cancel my policy.. I think someone is going to get murdered in this fucking insurance business!

Angrybird

Why do we have to pay to insure an item if it is no longer in ownership. Whether an insurer claims they have paid your quote in full should be refundable to the insurer and broker. Swindle Insurance wanted a cancellation fee plus outstanding monthly car insurance, it should be changed by law.
21st Jul 14 06:07

Michelle Daniels

Avoid go skippy, I took out insurance on a car only to realise that their questions were quite misleading and asked about my second car and how many years discount I had, which I thought they meant on my second car so I put in 15 years, but I was taking this insurance out with no no claims discount. When I realised the mistake I rang 5 days later to cancell it as I didn't have 15 years discount for this car. I was charged £50 set up direct debit fee and £20 cancellation fee!! I asked if this was the charges for 5 days insurance and my 14 days cooling off period only to be told if it had been over the 14 days it would have been £50 cancellation fee!!! Is this really legal??
3rd Jun 14 08:06

not all companys are bad but this one is!

Agree with the Avoid Swinton - my friend bought a car for just over £6500 and insured it fully comp with Swinton. 3 months later it was stolen from his driveway. The police never found it and Swinton refused to pay my friend a penny because they said that 1 month earlier he had been caught on camera and given a fixed penalty of 3 points for speeding. He wasn't aware of the points and yet Swinton refused to pay out because they said he hadn't informed them. As he told them - he wasn't aware of them himself!!! Then to add insult to injury they said that he would have to finish paying for his policy or be charged cancellation fees! Unbelievable!

P74

Avoid Swinton! Last year they sent me email for car insurance £190, then they phoned me up since my renewal was due and I ended up with quote for £540!. I missed direct debit this month they cancelled my car insurance. I called them up as I had 2 cars, I had to pay £390 cancellation costs for remainder of balances, got 2 new quotes as I had cancelled insurance id have to pay £1744 for both cars now, thought id no choice but to insurance cars for that amount and did and also paid 2 deposits of £150. I went online to go compare, filled out details for the 2 cars, ticked the box "have you had insurance cancelled", and got both my cars for £569 a year, saving me £1200 from swinton. Phoned this morning and cancelled both swinton insurances within their 14 day period, but only got refund £27 instead of £72 deposit I paid for one car. They told me as I had insurance cancelled due to my dd being missed, no company would take me on, hence the 2 companies they done their search on and costing me £1744!

effedoff

Avoid tesco bank for car insurance! They tell me they have written to me but ive hear nothing until a letter dated the 16th sept sayin i have 7 days to pay a missed payment. I had money in my account but they say my bank cancelled the d/d. My bank say they didnt. I rang to resolve this today yo be told it was cancelled today. Today is the 7th day??? I was told i had to pay for the last 23 days cover and start a new policy but wouldnt be allowed a d/d and had to pay in full. I asked how much 23 days was an they said 158.83. When asked what this was for thwy replied the missed payment, plus cover and also my breakdown cover for the full year. I had to pay this so i could obtain insurance and will be putting in a full complaint especially after learning i have paid for 1 yr rac cover which i cant have now as they cancelled my policy. They offered to cover me again and would give me a quote and it came back at almost 800. I only took the other policy out in august and was quoted 550;with breakdown. How can they justify this? Their reply is that premiums change daily!!! Im really p*****d off to learn i have paid for 1 yr breakdown cover that i have had for 23 days ans is now cancelled. Surely this cant be legal??

Fleeced

Avoid Swinton Insurance! I was insured for an old banger and when I moved addresses from the city to a village, it costed a lot more. When I bought another car and scrapped my banger, the insurance they quoted was even higher (which I couldn't afford). I had some quotes from comparison websites which had much lower quotes.

In end I had to pay a £110 cancellation charge, even though I was a returning customer. This worked out cheaper with my new insurer than to continue with Swinton. Never again with those blood suckers.

They previously tried to get me to take up their breakdown recovering, which was a lot more expensive than other offers.

Mand

I have a problem with Lloyds TSB. Our car has failed its MOT,and have been told it isn't worth fixing,so we have decided to scrap it. We have bought a van which is more in keeping with our needs,but when we rang Lloyds to change the monthly insurance,we were told no can do,they don't insure vans. We now have the problem of cancelling our insurance for the car which isn't due for renewal until November and finding a new insurer but how much will this cost?
I guess it will teach my partner and I not to assume car insurance covers every vehicle.

Belle

Would agree with you all about Swinton, got policy from them a few weeks ago which was £148 phoned to cancel it and they charged me £80.00, what a joke.

Mia the Cat

Whenever you take out an insurance policy, ask the advisor what the charge is for changes and amendments to the policy (like change of address or replacing a vehicle) because some companies are extortionate. I moved house and was charged £50 for the policy change! I then happened to change my car and guess what? Another £50 charge. Outrageous. I discovered it was cheaper to cancel the policy and re-insure with Aviva even though I'd pay pro-rata cover for cancelling. Aviva has £22 change charges admittedly, but they offered a much cheaper multi-car premium - in fact, almost half of the other company!

sandro

very carrefull whit this company. Please dont trust, take money from you bank account whit out you permision and if you want to cancel you insure SWINTON charge you a lot of money.PLEASE DONT TRUST

sandro

Swinton is a complete joke. i phoned today to cancel a motorcycle policy that doesnt even start for another 3 days. I thought i was being good by setting it up a week ago. They took the money out of my account straight away a week and a half before the policy was due to start. Now they tell me i have to pay £50......the whole year cover was only £78!!!
£50 for a policy that was not even active !!!
DISGUSTING
Swinton...Never again..you have been warned

Mr_Very_Angry_Guy

If anyone out there has a policy with THAMES CITY INSURANCE or THE INSURANCE FACTORY you may be in for a shock, they are liars and cheats. Its a fradualent outfit & I curse the day I took out an insurance with them. I hope EVERYONE working for the company get CANCER! Tears..., tears..., sobs...., sobs, Ooooh God, this is too much pain to bear, I have been so so cheated!!!

Bea

I had the exactly same problem with Thames city insurance, cancelled my policy as it was £166 a month and then they charged me £800 just to cancel it, and when i asked to reactivate it they said no. Now i'm stuck with £800 to pay off for nothing!

Insured Driver!

Very simply do not setup a POLICY of any kind unless your gonna use!

If in doubt, dont fuk about!

mr angry pants

oh btw, my car is a 14 year old corsa, 1.4 litre 8 valve, not a fast thing, I am 22 and it's parked on the drive behind some very strong gates. Third party only for the year? £1400 online, rose to £1600 on the phone [no option to buy online] then with paying monthly the years amount was £1831. For a car worth £500. Whereas my motorbike, a 125cc that hits terrifying speeds of 70 mph, that costs me £120 a year to insure third party, or £200 full comprehensive. £120, or £1800. hmmmmm.

mr angry pants

if anyone out there has a policy with THAMES CITY INSURANCE or THE INSURANCE FACTORY you may be in for a shock, they are liars and cheats, they insured me for a year, I lost my job and had to cancel the policy, I was covered for 104 days, which would mean I had to pay about 28 percent of the years total premium, plus maybe £50 cancellation fee. But they sent me a letter demanding £374 as an ''outstanding balance'', then when I disputed and sent them a letter showing my calculations that I had already given them 44% of my yearly premium, it was in fact they who owed me! But they replied saying they would look into it, then I got a text, phone call and a letter from a debt collectors agency. demanding £449! For what? I told them to go back to the insurance factory and said there was no way I could pay it anyway [ no income now] and why was I being charged that amount anyway, the policy was cancelled over two weeks ago!

sam

i bought car insurance this morning, only to find out that the car was sold to someone else. will i be charged if i cancel NOW

Garry

well well well....further to my post below ref the £50 cancellation fee on my not yet active bike insurance. I wrote two letters of complaint to the online department (somewhere down south) and the chief executive based up north. After a few days i recieved a phone call from the chief exec apologising and promised to repay the full amount (which they have!) as they did not wish to get the company a bad name. In my letters i had threatened to go to the financial ombudsman and also the motorcycling press.......so there you go it certainly pays to complain.

Garry

£50 for a policy that was not even active !!!
DISGUSTING
Swinton...Never again..you have been warned

Mark Smith

Thanks for providing such a great information here.
Actually,I was looking forward to such a info.I really appreciate it.Hope to see such a informative stuff in future!
onlinecarguide.net

UnHappy

Swinton sucks! First of all, I drive a banger, insured for £800. Fully Comp insurance rose last year (I need fully comp because of my job) by £120, to £450 with 9 yrs no claims. I've just bought another old car, but two years younger, same specs, insured for £700, and been quoted an extra £169 on my insurance??? Queried that, and told it was the cheapest they could find. Rang RAC who quoted me £413.10 - same level of cover, etc.
So, rang my other insurer to ask about cancellation fees so I could swap over, and they want £169??? What the Hell? I know the economy's bad, and prices are rising, but this is holding customers to ransom.
22nd Mar 12 11:03

martin

swinton again i renewed my car insurance over the phone when swinton phoned me to say it was due for renewal they said they had diligently searched the market to get me the best deal , £700 as i had made 3 claims within 3 years ( i have 3 years no clames) after 10/ 15 minuets they phoned me back to say i would have to pay another £50 extra because i had moved and now living in a higher risk erea thetford to attleborough , sheltered housing , all mostly old people many with no cars and crime rate way down the scale than thetford is,so how can this be , yes somthing untastfully wrong , i thus cancelled the renewal within 2 hours got a new quote for £557. 99 went into swintons office and gave the manager aletter saying no money was to be taken from my account he was very rude and arrogant , also my bank phoned them but they went ahead and took £708. 27 from my account deposting back £574. 27, keeping the differance i faxed a letter of complaint to the financial ombudsman and my m.p ( i advice everyone to do this) swinton now tells me, as a good will gesture they will recompensate me the full amount back i also asked for £30 compensation for all the hassle and inconvenience they agreed to settle for £20

drivinguscrazy

WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO is clarify just what are the charges for and can you have it on a headed paper please. NOT the brokers headed paper but the ACTUAL insurer's - with a reason justifying the charge. Put this to the broker in email format, recorded delivery and give them a couple of weeks to respond. It will all go away after that I imagine. Good luck.,
2nd Nov 11 10:11

Anonymous

My son sold his little old banger as he couldn't afford to run it any more, and only just started working. Rather than get into financial difficulty. He received enough money to pay off his debts and a little bid of living money to get him by. He has phone car insurance company today and they want £670 to cancel the policy. He is devistated. Any idea what he can do? This amount of money is criminal the policy was Only (I say this tongue in cheek) £1350 for third part only.

Steve W

With regard to Swinton's cancellation fees, you have to bear in mind that Swinton are just an insurance broker, not the insurance company. When they quote an insurance at you, and you accept, they arrange it with this other company and then charge their fee on the top for arranging it all. So if you cancel mid-term, the real insurance company might actually be the one imposing the cancellation fee. But still, Swinton might stick their admin fee on the top, both to discourage you from cancelling and to pay for their admin work. And make even more money on the top, besides!

kerry82

my dad had a motorbike and was insured with swinton but about march 2011 his bike was stolen off the garden even tho it was chained up. he rang his insurane to make a claim but was told he would only be entitled to £200 but had to pay an excess off £250 so he decided not to claim as he would be out of pocket. (like its not bad enough so little git stole it in the first place). then yesterday he gets a call from a debt company on behalf of swinton saying he owes them £113 for the rest of the policy and cancellation fee even tho the company cancelled it themselfs and not on our part. We rang swinton up to ask what the crack was but the guy was so rude and unhelpful and hung up on us lol. surely they cant do this to him. he was the victim but he has to pay???? how is that right? he cant afford to replace the motorbike so why should he have to pay for what he hasnt got.
23rd Aug 11 01:08

jules

hi I too have had dealings with swinton insurance in swinton
house insurance I cancelled and now they are trying to charge me more than the policy cost I asked my bank to look into cancellation fees they said it should be 35 ponnds not 177 pounds
they have sent it to a debt collecting company who keep texting and threatening to send someone round when I phoned to complain I got laughed at beware of this insurance company

DOWN IN THE MOUTH

HI changed my motor bike for a new one, same size, value etc, told my insurer they charged me £110 for the privledge and when I said I'd cancel they told me I'd have to pay them £194 on a policy that cost £240 3 months ago - are they allowed to do this

the bumpers

my brother told his insurence the day before it was dew for renewel .that he was changeing his car .would it be ok to wait till monday as it was friday before payment was due. the renewel was £131 amonth . he was told by one person that it was fine to wait as he had been with them 3 years . come monday nobody new what he was going on about . then he was told his insurence had lapsed .by 24hour. he needed £400 depo and £240 amonth . I wouldint mind but the new car was a cheaper car . plus the first policy they sent for renewel was not evan him . so make sure u check . cause 24 hours costs trust me . ps if I cancelled I would tell my bank to stop direct . and would not pay a penny . see them in court .
21st Mar 11 11:03

Pete

I have hjust had something very similar with Saga Motor insurance. Sold the car, and 2 months left on the insurance, so I cancelled. I had paid for the full year, but I then received a bill for the £22 I owed THEM for the privilege of cancelling. If I had done nothing and just let the insurance run out I would not have been charged.

This is basically just a scam, and I will never do any bussiness with Saga again, so it has to be counter-productive.

fed up mother

we have a similar situation my son has lost his job and therefore cannot afford to run his car at all because of the high insurance he pays every month £238. he is 17> I rang to canel the policy to be told there would be a cancelation fee of £75 I thought thats high but got to pay as done now. That wasn't the end we were also told he had to pay £1052 70% of the remaning monthly payments until Sept 2011. Poor lad has sold his car for £300 and still needs to find over £700 to pay when he doesn't even have a car anymore> They said its in the small print as he was paying monthly. DISGUSTING RIP OFF. Im going to look into this further as not sure than can do this its criminal

Cider Girl

I also have had very recent experience when cancelling my holiday home insurance. I took out a policy in May 2010 and paid £170.00 upfront. Early October I cancelled my policy and as usual I put this in writing. In brief I communucated several times with the company who did not commnicate in return and recently discovered that my refund was for a total of £18.72! If I had chosen to pay by direct debit (14.16 per month) I would have saved myself some money. While I fully expected to have to pay some sort of admin fee this beggars belief! My advice is to pay insurance fees either by credit card (I know this may mean a small charge) but at least if there is a dispute they will take it up on your behalf or pay in monthly installements. The fact that I have had a very shockingly small refund and did not need to make a claim in the insurance period very disappointing. I would have thought that in this climate insurance companies could not act in tis way. Yes I have complained to the Broker who thinks my complaint is unjust.

ISAWUCOMING

Reference SWINTON INSURANCE charging £50 CANCELLATION FEE for a quote taken over the telephone and then cancelled within the cooling off period. A telephone conversation is not a legally binding contract, you are within your rights to change your mind, do not pay the £50, telephone their head office and explain that if they do not withdraw the charge you will go to a solicitor.

suespaff

I took out motor insurance with Quote Mart on a second car not knowing I couldnt use my no claims against 2 cars.Rang to cancel it after just a month as payments were too high,after they have taken £50 deposit £45 payment another £156 now they say I have to pay £75 cancellation fee and another £628...can this be right for only 1 month?
21st Sep 10 10:09

Sue

I recently rang Direct Line to cancel my car insurance as my car is declared off the road for a year. I asked them to tell me how much it would cost to cancel and they said £26, so on that basis I cancelled it. I then received a letter saying I owe them £113. I had already cancelled my monthly direct debit and I wrote to them asking for an explanation, but got no reply. The next thing I received was a demand from Moorcroft Debt Recovery, plus phonecalls from them insisting on full payment or I would go to court. Direct Line won't communicate with me now that Moorcroft are dealing with it. What can I do?

Miss Brown.

This has also happened to me. I had to cancel my car insurance due to broken down car, which I had to sell for a pitence.. and was charged a cancellation fee for the insurance and breakdown cover. However I did question it and tell them I would contact the ombudsman and they reduced the monthly payment by £10. My friends have also experienced this problem, all with different insurers.
Always call the Financial ombudsman, chances are your payments will be reduced and every complaint is logged and goes towards changing the rules in our favour. Those greedy insurance companies have had it too good for too long. Stand up for your rights folks.
Also this happened to my neighbour with his scooter. He did refuse to pay and cancelled his direct debits. They did nothing and have never contacted him for the money.

Chris H

Well, it seems that Swinton comes up as a regular on the preceding comments. I too have been asked to pay an extra £33 (£50 less the refund) to cancel my policy nearly 10 months in. I rang to ask them to quote for a new car and they were way above the best on-line quote with Sheila's Wheels. I explained my car was being scrapped under the government scheme and again they insisted that I had no choice but to cancel "because sometimes they end up back on the road" - not that I believe this. I still cannot comprehend how they can justify the admin charge. I know it's there in the small print but the banks finally got their comeuppance on unfair fees! Time to rebel???? Is there anyone out there who has simply refused to pay? What did they do? It will cost them more to take this to a small claims court. Will let you know!

mugged

Hi,my daughter was insuring with swinton rotherham but was called to manchester(work related)
the policy was in our home in rotherham ready for her to sign,swinton rang and I took it on myself to say she would accept the insurance,my daughter rang later that day to say she will be in manchester until christmass,i told her I had insured her car through swinton rotherham and she told me to cancel it becouse she would not be driving the car untill after christmass,i rang to cancel the same day as I took the insurance out and thy charged my daughter 50 pound,
we have over the years dealt with swinton several times one year we had three cars insured with them needless to say my daughter will not be ringing them in december,trying to contact head office is a no go,no email,no phone number ect,so keep well clear guys this rotherham franchise is just a money grabbing lott keep clear,if you do have to insure using swinton use one of the other offices as ime sure they would have just put the policy on hold.ps can anyone let us know how we can claim back the isurance protection premium swinton charged illegally,we have four policys from around that time,thanks guys.

jj

Swinton are a very compliant company, you dont have to wait for your policy and terms of business as all details are given to you at the time of sale and then backed up by paper copies confiming all charges, If you dont listen at the time of sale to the terms of business and cancellation rights and also dont read the paper copy of their terms of business, its your own fault

Anonymous

I took out insurance with swinton in January 2009. for my vauxhall corsa which I've now found out will not pass the MOT. I have now sold the corsa and also cancelled the policy after finding a cheaper quote online for my new car, a Ford Fiesta. Am I legally obliged to pay £64.25 on top of the £50 cancellation fee?

Jim

If you cancel your policy before the start date will you still have to pay any charges?

Andrea

Swinton Insurance are worse - I have recently bought a new car but found Swinton uncompetitive so told them to cancel my insurance. I was fully paid up and was gob-smacked when they said it would cost £50 to cancel. I said I'd leave it running but theyr said I wouldn't be able to claim my no-claims discount on my new insurance. The words "tucked up like a kipper" sprang to mind. I live and learn and Swinton are off my Christmas card list!

sam

I am 17 and have my own insurance. my car has blowen the motor and I can't get it fixed can I cancel the insurance because at this time I can't get another car.

and how are you supposed to know about tha fee before you receive the damn policy in the post?

Vince vegaz

I am currently 7 months through my policy and have bought a newer car I have rang my insurance to change the policy over,but because I want to now go fully comp instead of the 3rd party (previously)I have to take out a new policy.O.k. fare enough now I too thought of taking my old car of the road and save a bit of money and posibly sell it, I thought of doing this when on the phone taking out the new policy,I had paid everything up front when first taking out my policy,& thought with 5 months left I was going to get a refund, but oh no...they are going to charge £35 for cancelation and as the policy was only £108 for the year it apparently left me owing them £13 So I told them to forget it I wont be canceling He then told me that is not possible now that I have told him Im selling the car and it is illegal to continue with the policy after the sale of the car. And got my back up because he was getting shirty with me because he reckons I told him I sold the car and confusing me with insurance jargon I tried to tell him that until the car is sold im not cancelling and he rckons that if the car is involved in an accident that the conversation that we have just had could affect the claim Now where do I stand???

Maz

You should have read the policy properly before taking it out, you still have to pay an admin fee for any changesto the policy as well as the whole year's premium if you cancel. They always ask you to return the insurance certificate and I've a funny feeling that would be in your policy booklet too.

Devongirl

to beware - I'm pretty sure it's illegal to apply costs to an 0800 number. OFCOM should be able to help you here. If they transfer you to a number that costs to call (even 0845 local rate) the cost should be borne by the transferring party, not the caller. Even if you are unable to recoup any cash from this please do report them to stop it happening to other innocent folks!!

Good luck
3rd Jul 07 02:07

Beware!

If you think that's bad check this out...

I checked the Internet for cheapest policy, Adrian Flux came up, wife rang them to check the price because it was very cheap, they said it was fine, so she paid with card over the phone.

Then they ask photos of the car, copies of my licence and to fill in extra forms.

Now they say oh no, you have to pay £100 extra!

This was more than original insurer so I told them to stuff it. But found I was charged for 10 days insurance + £50 fee! I complained about the fee because of distance selling regulations but they said they did not apply to insurance. So I checked the insurance body they belonged too they said they should not have charged anything under their terms of trade.

I've still not got this £50 back but they've bought £50 of bad publicity!

Also, I found later they charged me for phone calls even though I called an 0800 number! When you get though you are asked what model the car is before they forward you to the next department. I personaly think they forward you off the 0800 line to an 0845 one! Beware!
2nd Jul 07 02:07

Dare I claim the Truth?

The No Claims Bonus institution in British motor insurance policies, is nothing but the British Insurance Industry acting as a cartel.

I expect if it were properly investigated it would be found that the motor insurance industry had broken a 1000 competition laws, both domestic and European.
1st Jul 07 09:07