Car driver stereotypes and the driving test

I'm of an age where I remember a standing joke about 'Mini Metro drivers wearing hats', meaning that such people were the bane of the sensible drivers' lives, driving at 30mph in the centre lane of the motorway, taking several minutes to park in a supermarket space and stopping suddenly on busy roads in the lead up to Christmas, for no other reason than to let somone out at a junction.

Recent events have set me thinking that this and other stereotypes haven't gone away.

Either I am imagining things or Renault Modus and Nissan Micra owners have difficulty attaining more than 30 mph on any road.  White van man continues his callous disregard and destruction unabated.  BMW owners continue to look down at others and feel generally superior.  Artic lorry drivers have a lemming-like desire to pull into the middle lane and try to overtake a slower lorry for several miles.  Mercedes drivers indicate to overtake in front of you but then take twenty minutes to complete the task.  4WD drivers don't seem to realise that they can't brake any better than the rest of us.  And there's loads of other car driver stereotypes... of that I am sure!

A BMW badge To all of you folk out there driving these vehicles, have you ever considered redeeming your reputation and amending your behaviour and driving with consideration for others?

Then there's the driving test iself.  First of all, you hear stories in the papers and TV about so and so who passed their driving test on the twentieth attempt etc.  Why is that person allowed to drive at all?  They have still not proved that they are a competent driver.  All they have shown is that they can drive competently one time in twenty and in my view they cannot be allowed to drive until they have passed the test more times than they have failed it!

Secondly, this business of stopping distances.  It's all very well if you can repeat, parrot fashion, the number of feet it takes to stop at whatever miles per hour.  What good is that if that person has no conception of how far 100ft or whatever is?  They don't ask that do they?

Tired and emotional

If he's going to earn more than me he would have to get a proper job first, 'Social media consultant/careers adviser' doesn't count, he couldn't do any of my previous jobs as he isn't physically capable and he couldn't do what I do now as he doesn't have the relevant qualifications or experience, if we're talking about cars I might be something like a Volvo or the older Granada scorpio (I had one of those a few years back, gaz guzzler but so easy to drive he could probably learn eventually), solid, dependable, reliable, even boring if you want to say it but capable of getting the job done and trustworthy, he would be one of those £50 Ford Zephyrs or Zodiacs you used to see in the Auto trader about 1992 the kind of rust buckets that were only fit for stock car racing that were sold in dodgy garages around West Yorkshire, his current drive is the routemaster with the bendy elastic resistance band in the middle, poor lad having to stand about at bus stops must be quite tiresome, I'd give him a lift but I don't want him ruining the upholstery he doesn't even live in a proper house so obviously he has zero class, he's the burned out Datsun cherry sporting a dashboard crammed with crisp bags, no tax, MOT or insurance, mixed 1970's radials and crossplys, doors that won't lock but then again who would steal such a heap of scrapyard rejected bean tins which only moves if a phillips screwdriver is rammed into the ignition before slumping to a halt before needing a push approximately 10 metres later of Shepherd's Bush, I'm sure you get my drift anyway I'll stay awake and catch you next week our kid, happy motoring or in clinty boy's case not.

Anon

Iv'e heard that Clinty's real name is Freddy Krueger. Stay awake Tired and E, stay awake.

marmalade

Our Clinty may be pushing the Big Four Oh, but he still knows how to rock and roll baby. His ride? A gleaming Ford mondeo 1.8 zetec 2004, fully loaded. No timewasters.

Anon

Sorry to keep on Tired, but, If Clint could drive I'd bet he'd be a much better driver than you. What's more, I think he would be able to earn more than you, so he could drive a better car than you, What you think buddy.

Anon

Tired, When you were young did you have an imaginary friend, and was it's name Clint by any chance?

Tired and emotional

Nearly 38 I believe, he was asking for female penfriends at one time due to a lonely mailbox, should we pay for him to have driving lessons with the promise of a skoda or some other junk if he passes?

marmalade

Well I admit I do turn the wireless on in the car occasionally to listen to the light programme, is Clinty really 40? gosh where does the time go, it's scary!

Laff

Go on Marmalade admit it, you're one of those that fitted a dustbin lid size exhaust pipe and you've got tinnitus from listening to all that full volume stereo player. Only joking mate. There's nothing wrong with what you are saying about learning, but it all goes t*ts up when these youngsters start messing with the suspension and brakes and pushing the car beyond the design limit. That's when the police have to break the bad news to Mum and Dad.

Tired and emotional

It's even sadder when my ol' mucker Clinty babes hasn't even passed his driving test even though he's pushing 40 and thinks he's a success despite living in a housing benefit funded rented flat and relying on the bus or tube. Sorry about that dig but it was too good to resist. Jeremy Clarkson might be a prat but he's not a bad driver I'll give him that, probably nowhere near as good as me but not many people are.

marmalade

I don't see anything wrong with a youngster buying an old car and doing it up. It does them good to have a hobby, and they can learn a bit about engines in general. It is a bit sad when you see a middle-aged bloke doing that though!

Tired and emotional

@Laff, Brilliant post I have never been impressed by any of that bling I even stopped watching 'Top Gear' when it stopped being about cars and became about middle class prats trying to be 'lads' (David Baddiel can't do it neither can the buffoon Clarkson and his 'laugh at the in jokes' sidekicks who probably hate him anyway), I remember years ago when people used to buy a ford sierra and display a giant sticker saying SIERRA in the rear window, what is it about Sierras? Years ago Jimmy Nail made the Sierra cosworth look impressive in 'Spender' which prompted people to buy godawful kit car replicas which looked about as realistic as an airfix model and fitted a giant exhaust to try and fool people, I've never had an accident or made an insurance claim one reason being I steer well clear of these berks.

Laff,I nearly pizz myself.

You've just got to love these thickos that buy a £500 (or less) car and then spend £1000's on big exhaust tail trims, blue headlights (which keep blowing), big loud boom-boom stereos, stick-on black window film, and then take all their mates out for a ride and roll it. Classic Wot.

Boblet

Now Eric P dont be nasty, What I am trying to get to the bottom is, I was cut up on the M62. My passenger pointed out that the offending driver was masked up. I just want to know the legal position.
23rd Jan 11 01:01

Boblet

PC. I think it is a chauvenist thing, I believe they are only worn by women, but there is nothing to stop a man wearing one. or indeed those folk riding girls & boys bikes. Some have a narrow slit to see through but others do not, they drive with both. By definition those people wearing a mask when driving must have their vision impaired. My question is can they take the British driving test wearing such a mask?
23rd Jan 11 01:01

PC

Boblet, what types of face masks are they, please give details.
23rd Jan 11 11:01

Boblet

In Bradistan the practice of driving fast cars whilst wearing a full face mask, is on the increase.
My gripe is how can you pass a British driving test whilst wearing one?
22nd Jan 11 07:01

Jethro

Let's face the facts,some of the people that own big flash fuel hungry cars do so for the thought of the prestige that they are getting from their neighbours and freinds, whereas the fact is, most people think they are fools. How many of these people are struggling to pay their bills while trying to give the impression that they are well-off. The coming year will see these fools out for what they are, all show and no substance.

Anonymous

Mmmmm where to start? Drivers who use foglights when you can see three miles up the road. Drivers who sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brakes thus dazzling you behind. People who say "don't you know who I am" in response to a request. Well actually no I don't know who you are and quite frankly I don't care.

iPost

Yes, agreed. Maybe it's me but they are normally found in people carriers?

Big D

In my experience its the punters driving the people carriers with the "Baby on Board" stickers on the back window you've got to look out for. They seem unable to follow road markings or get into the correct lane upstream of roundabouts and randomly planting their right foot on the brake pedal for no apparent reason. I'm sure they cause many more accidents than the road hogs in the over sized BMW 4x4s.

Boblet

Just got to Bradford from Liverpool on the M62, Snow all the way but had no problems at all most other drivers today must be like, we left the Iffy squishy third lane to those superior drivers, with their Golfs. Bmws, Audis, & 4X4s

Congo

grumpyoldwoman

I agree, I would never consider driving one of those awful little boxes. The Micra was bad enough even for a short time. Perhaps some on here are content to accept such vehicles, but Congo is not one of them.

MikeP

I had the misfortune to have to drive a Smart car from Zurich to Milan once. It is significantly smaller and less stable than anything I have driven before, unless you count the dodgems at the fairground, and I felt exposed and vulnerable on the Autostrada particularly, not an experience I wish to repeat. In fairness, although they are nasty little cars, they do feel quite solid in build quality and have a reasonable amount of power.
2nd Dec 10 05:12

grumpyoldwoman

Congo, at least it wasn't a Smart Car or a Kak! I think I'd die if I had to drive a Smart Car.
2nd Dec 10 04:12

anon

The micra is an okay little car. Perhaps Congo's ego was too big to squeeze in comfortably?
2nd Dec 10 12:12

Congo

Unless one is scratching about in the lowest levels of the motoring world and are therefore buying the cheapest and probably car possible, most people do have some measure of choice over the type of car they buy therefore it is not unreasonable to attribute certain characteristics - within limits of course - to drivers.

Having said that,and to provide balance to the debate, Congo was once forced to drive a ghastly Micra for one day and has singularly failed to live down the humiliation ever since.
2nd Dec 10 11:12

jim

Do you think maybe these really are just stereo-types? You seem to have included just about every type of car-driver in there! Do you really think that when someone buys one type of car he completely changes his attitude to the road and to other drivers? I think the most dangerous people on the road are those that are making constant assumptions of other drivers capabilities simply because of a silly, subjective viewpoint. To me, everyone is mad and best avoided.
2nd Dec 10 11:12

The continental expert

Harsh but fair does not know any Volvo drivers obviously, and it shows. Volvo drivers are some of the best drivers on the road, educated, white, middle class, children at private school, Times and Guardian readers usually. Shop at Sainsburys and wears Boden.
Volvo drivers attract some of the best rates for car insurance in the market. They are low accident risk and good safe drivers, usually respectable pillars of the community, and work as professional middle management and administrators. They are often victims of envy and jealousy by the lower social orders.

anon

Is that you, GL? My God you are thick...as well as being a hypocrite, a boyscout, an Rs licker and probably a good many other more unpleasant things too. Did you come here to hold Harsh's hand? He doesn't need you, little man. He can manage quite well without you to look after him. Now run along, there's a good boy.
23rd Nov 10 04:11

anon

Harsh, you are a silly man. But fortunately you sound harmless too. You could be quite terrifying with a meaner personality.
23rd Nov 10 12:11

guitargaz

forget your MG's, volvo's etc, what I am about to say has no doubt crossed you on the road sometime or other, THE FAT IGNORANT 4X4 DRIVER THAT WEARS GLASSES.
yes, you've seen him, he pulls out on you without a thought, he cuts you up and ignores you, he drives very slow over road bumps, I could never understand that one ? he blokes roads to get out from someplace, I have proved many times that the man in question has got to be SANTA ! he is everywhere, I've convinced my wife, my kids, my friends, and it's true, so for all you 4x4 fat people that wear glasses, if ever I come across you people again, cut me up, block the road thinking because your higher than me, your better, YOUR WRONG,
you will be followed, I will find where you live, and we will have a talk, if you dont want to be this way anymore, seek medical help, get yourself a cortina or escort, because I bet deep down, your a really nice bloke, but its the 4x4 mate, get rid of it, it's making you think your somebody your not.
23rd Nov 10 11:11

Harsh But Fair

I was stuck behind a Volvo on Sunday for several miles. The driver thought it was acceptable to crawl along between 20 and 25 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. It was both dry and clear. This is typical of Volvo driver's behaviour.

Like I said previously, when they learn to drive properly, I'll stop highlighting and criticising them. Volvo drivers cause more congestion and inconvenience than Audi drivers. They are slow, thoughtless and selfish. Save the of good community standing rubbish. It doesn't wash.
23rd Nov 10 11:11

Harsh But Fair

Are you the same pompous champion of slow Volvo drivers who got your ass handed to you in a similar debate?

If it is, then expect the same here.
23rd Nov 10 11:11

The continental expert

German Audis are flash harry arrogant and vulgar and totally ostentatious, they break down a lot and are generally unreliable. You don't see many Audis the same age as a Volvo Amazon still driving around. Volvos outlast most Audis. Volvos are quiet understatement, and classy. Audis are brash and loud.
22nd Nov 10 11:11

The continental expert

Volvos are driven with care and consideration for others, by largely middle class, middle aged white parents, very often respectable professional people of good community standing. Typical Volvo estate car owners can be found any weekend at car boot sales, week day town markets, and towing caravans and horseboxes in the holiday season. They are often owned by Guardian and The Times readers. Sorry but volvo owners are not slow drivers, they are actually some of the best drivers on the road, recognised as a fact by a lot of the insurance companies.
Volvos are not slow, witness the fact that they are regularly driven extremely quickly by Paramedics and Police Officers.
22nd Nov 10 10:11

Harsh But Fair

Blah blah blah.

Stereotypes exist for a reason and it isn't just confirmation bias, which we all engage in at some point or another.

When Micra drivers improve their general standard of driving for the benefit of others and Volvo drivers speed up a little, I'll stop labelling and highlighting them.
21st Nov 10 07:11

stereo types are ignorant

You can blame the fitting of after market extras to cars on the British and European touring car racers, people probably think it will somehow improve the handling and performance and looks of their car. You can also blame it on the aftermarket magazines like Max Power etc.
But largely stereo types are driven by prejudice and ignorance, for which there is no excuse. Labels are for the box ticking bureaucrat civil service pen pushing paper shufflers, who love to spend time categorising people, but these people do it because they are simply following procedure
21st Nov 10 06:11

mardi gras the candyman can

usually people who rev nissan micras with ill fitting plastic spoilers and stickers are tracksuit wearing chavs who finish every sentence with ''innit'',''innit though'', or ''ya nar wha ah mean''. I know people who have been in collisions with these kinds of people and they always denounce responsibility for their mistakes and say ''ya came outta no where'' when in reality they were not looking where they were going.

Harsh But Fair

Nigel m 13-Sep-2010 22:52

Ditto.

And I'd like to add Volvo drivers to those of Micras and nippy little Fiestas etc. Any slower and you would stop. Your car was built to move faster. Try it sometime...

nigel m

Oh and why does nobody understand yellow boxes... if your exit is clear you may wait in them to turn right, allowing cars to pass on the left from behind..... you do not have to hold up minutes of traffic stuck behind you on precious green light time.

Nigel m

Spot on about the micras, get stuck behind one of them on my route to work and I definitely going to be late! Also very good at middle lane hogging on motorways the old micra brigade.
But the worst drivers are generally the young females in their nippy little fiestas etc. They will race from lights then come to a roundavbout and grind to a halt when 3 cars could have procedded around the island safely, affecting the flow of traffic for the poor , more experienced drivers behind. I personally am an arrogant almost middle aged german car driver who never makes any mistakes on the road and understands the craft of the drive.. without the lane jumping of the sales reps.

Chris.

Why would a Ford focus and MG be lumbered into the pack of boy racers?

I see grown men AND women driving such cars that still act as you describe. I saw one woman the other day undertaking me in an MG ZR, deciding that the lorry I was overtaking was too close and swerved into my way. She was using her shoulder to hold her phone while eating an apple. Late 30's, laden with make up and giving me the "V" sign when I hit my horn because of that crap show of driving.

I am not race-ist

Just what is it that boy racers are trying to prove with their aggressive and dangerous driving and manoeuvering they do showing no consideration to the law or other motorists?

The first was on the M1 southbound between Loughborough and the M69 on Friday 11th June 2010 at about 17.50. The green MG registration number BK02LJZ weaved in between the lanes undertaking and if you were about to overtake a vehicle in the fast lane, instead of waiting for you to pass and move over he undertook and tried to get past the vehicle you were about to overtake before you by squeezing through the narrowest of spaces forcing you and other motorists to break hard.

It looks like he was trying to impress.

Secondly, on the A127 near Southend on 12th June 2010 about 14.00 towards the M25 a green Ford Focus registration R50YES drove much like the MG above aggressively and undertook other vehicles.

I don't understand why they need to prove themselves this way.

Chris.

Why would you give a rude hand gesture to someone that, yes, acted moronic, yet didn't cause an accident "this time". If I have people speed past me when I'm sitting at the speed limit and then encounter them at lights or behind traffic up ahead, I usually giggle or make an obvious smile at them.

Nonna

I drive a Nissan Micra and I stick to the speed limits, not like white van drivers who overtake me on a stretch of road near my house that is a 30 mph zone. I can go as fast as the law allows, but there is always someone who wants to be there yesterday and belts past, far exceeding the speed limit. Usually, of course, you find they come up against the great equalizer i.e. traffic lights or a tractor, and I am too much of a lady to make a rude gesture to them as I pull up behind!

Congo

So, TracyB what is your definition of "deliberate" braking (as opposed to "accidental" or "unplanned" braking).? Why do you feel the need to brake "deliberately" when someone drives too close? To annoy the driver behind? To perhaps annoy him enough to attempt a dangerous overtake?

As you introduced the suggestion of "aggressive" braking (not I) it seems to me you have not thought through the potential consequences of your "deliberate" braking at all.

Rider of the Apocalypse

fesant plucka - I am inclined to agree with you, the worst drivers are middle aged (big car) male drivers who hate everyone and everything that uses their road, closely followed by aggressive young female drivers, who risk their lives in order to prevent you getting on a roundabout or crossing a T junction. Funnily enough, believe it or not, but the most courteous drivers (from a horse riders viewpoint) are the so called 'boy' racers, they nearly always slow down, pass wide etc. Not forgetting motor cyclists, most are brilliant.

fesant plucka

I'm a BMW owner I don't think that I am superior and I would consider myself a courteous driver, I don't tailgate, I don't race other drivers, I drive at sensible speeds. I accept that there are a majority of BMW, Merc, audi etc drivers that are arrogant and aggressive but I find 4x4 and smaller car drivers just as bad so I think this can be attributed in general and not just stereotypes.
I don't see why I should be villified because of my choice of car and I tend to find that because I drive a BMW other drivers either try and goad me into racing them or cut me up or undertake on the mway and generally behave aggressively towards me purely because i'm perceived to have a superior motor and therefore I must be a w@nker.

i drive about 20,000 miles a year and I see alarge cross function of drivers good and bad wheter they drive an expensive car or a cheap runaround. I've driven in germany, Poland and Holland and despite their perceived laid back nature the Dutch are the most aggressive drivers I've ever come across and most of these are in people carriers.

TracyB

Congo. Why? I didn't say I would break aggressively nor did I say I would break even if I determined the situation to be unsafe. I simply said I would break deliberately

Congo

"There is a reason the speed limits are what they are and I make no excuse for breaking deliberately when any car decides that it wants to sit up my rear end." said 'TracyB'

Such a comment sits uneasily with your claim of being a paramedic who has witnesed the effects of a tragic RTI.
3rd May 10 07:05

Shy Man's Talent

I must express my concerns about BMW drivers - for the ones who deserve credit (and any driver of any vehicle that drives properly and shows courtesy).

Some BMW drivers are smug and arrogant because they drive one letting the power go to their head and can be a pain where it hurts. I refer to these as 'Gravity People' since they use external influences as strengths not their own abilities which are quite inadequate. They have probably been spoon-fed for much of their life to drive the way they do and are hyped-up idiots which can be seen by the way they drive and show contempt towards other motorists.

On the other hand there are some very courteous BMW drivers that don't let their vehicle's status go to their head. It is nice to be treated with courtesy and not have one trying to dominate the road or up my rear when I stick to the speed limit and there is no space to pass. I wish them the best as they appear genuine and not hyped-up. Not everyone owns one as a status symbol.

I would like all motorists are seen for what they are and how they drive, not be stereotyped because of the vehicle they drive.
1st May 10 11:05

Chris.

See a lot of stuff like that in resus. TB

I dislike people driving 10 or 20mph under the limit. However, I know under is better than over, so I never stress about it.

A huuuuuuuuuuuuuge pain in the posterior are the people that, when you're coming up to the exit slip road, bomb up the middle lane, then barge their way into your braking space.

TracyB

Personally I drive a Nissan Micra. I have no difficulty going over 30mph (when the speed limit allows)

The road outside my house is 30mph. 2 Young children have died in the last 12 months, the first was ki11ed by a bike rider going 72mph the child was 4 years old and fell off the curb while walking home with his 2 siblings and mum from school, the bike was overtaking, the child was thrown 37 feet into a nearby tree and ki11ed instantly, the second by an Audi TT travelling at 42mph a young man in a hurry to get home from work at 5.45pm. The child 12 years old also in a hurry to get home from his Dojo the child (not small by any means) was thrown over the bonnet and hit the ground so hard he was unrecognisable. (I was sadly the first paramedic on scene on both occasions)

I would however point out that while I love my Micra it will only do 0-60 in 3 hours!! So while everybody else may be doing 90 on the motor way (illegal by the way) my micra has only just reached 30 by the time the end of the slip road looms close.

Visitor

@Chris: "dropping the car into 2nd gear and flooring it", lol should be able to do that in 4th.
21st Apr 10 09:04

Youthful Griper

I don't usually like to see people in difficulty but when we had the bad snow earlier in the year, I couldn't help but have a warm fuzzy feeling inside whenever I saw a BMW struggle or get stuck in the snow. Onward I went, up 'ill, down dale in my 1.3 diesel Corsa, letting the ESP+ and traction control take some of the strain. Not once did I get stuck, drive around like a loony, skid out of control or hit anything. Lets face it, big cars are a status thing. The owners have got būgger all else to spend their money on so lets buy a car that won't comfortably fit in a car parking space or average garage.

RoadUser2010: If you're not in a rush to get anywhere, why drive around so fast? Why get impatient when people in front aren't driving as fast as you are? You'd save yourself fuel and in turn, money if you weren't so steadfast in going flat out.

For those who tailgate people doing 70 on the motorway because they're going 'too slow'; what if there were reason for that person to slam on the anchors if there was a piece of debris on the road or some other legitimate reason?

People on here seem to have forgotten Subaru Impreza drivers... now they fall into a different class completely! They might have 'Giant Johnsons' but they're up on their head and not where they're supposed to be.

love me do

BMW forced prisoners during the 2nd world war to build planes! think about your grandfather who fought these nazis,s###t he would be turning in his grave.

You

Jealously is a dangerous thing
Jealously is a dangerous thing.

ARF

I have a theory about BMW drivers. They drive selfishy because thats what they're like out of the car. Thats how they get the money to run them. If you want to get fleeced garages then the jokes on you. I have more than enough money to put several new top end BMWs on my private drive (no mortgage and I'm in my early 30s). But I choose not to join the brain dead morons who aspire to owning a BMW (or the even more pointless Range Rover Sport). Instead I drive an M reg Vauxhall. And to the BMW driver I see EVERY monring overtaking every in a 30 mph road: One day I might just slam on the brakes. I don't care about writing my car off just to annoy you.

Me

"BMW owners continue to look down at others and feel generally superior."

That's because BMW owners are more superior! If we have the money to buy a superior car then so what if you can't.
Yes, we (and Audi, Merc drivers) drive up your backsidein the third lane, because you are going too bloody slow.

Right of the node

RoadUser, you turnip head! Show a little humanity. You are that horrible git that spoils everyone else's day. The world does not revolve around you. Nobody gives a hoot about your time and you'll have plenty of that when you are in your box (won't be long by the sounds).

Look in the mirror (before you slope leisurely out of your house tomorrow to go to a job that obviously doesn't need you) and say, "I don't need to be a tw@t, I don't need to be a tw@t, I don't need to be a tw@t".

DarkMisanthrope

All driving is a misery. It's never like they show in the adverts. Those ads are no more responsible than cigarette ads.

Ban all cars! Work near home and ride a bike.

dobbo996

Listen to all the perfect drivers. Of course, no one will ever be able to drive as well as you lot .

RoadUser2010

I totally agree with "educated driver [07-Apr-2010 15:39]" Drivers need to stop enforcing their own speed limit and move out of the way. If you are uncomfortable driving at appropriate speeds then take a bus or something. I drive over 500 miles per week and there are some arrogant road users who just won't move out of the way. Before anyone says something like "leave earlier", "get up earlier" or whatever let me tell you I rarely have to be somewhere on time ... I go to work whenever I want, come home whenever I want, etc., so it's definitely not a rushing or making up for time thing.
It's really frustrating being behind someone who thinks "oh I'll drive slow so I'll be safe and other road users will be safe" - that is a flawed way of thinking. What about the line of 15 cars behind you that are waiting to overtake you? With that, typically the second and perhaps third car in line are driving little pri©ks of cars so they won't overtake. So the fourth car will have to overtake three cars to get to the front of the line ... normally fine once you have the power but it depends where the overtaking takes place ... single carriage way coming up to a crest or bend or the likes would be dangerous for example but it's probably the last place to pass out for ages so it has to be done.
As a quasi-experiment, I measured how much time I lose per day on average with cars 'delaying' me. It turned out to be 25 minutes per day. In 5 days, that's over 2 hours of wasted driving.

educated driver

love these morons who have clearly NOT read their highway code in the last twenty years- ''if i'm doing the speed limit thats ok'' it aint YOU'RE the accident waiting to happen!!! rules of the road- return to the left after overtaking!!! if someone is coming up behind me and thier going faster I always move out the way! its not your nor anyone else's job to police the road!!! I suggest you arrogant fools educate yourselves and read the bloody highway code!!! a recent one!! not the one you got twenty years ago!!!!

625pal

It must be a great job being a traffic cop in an unmarked car. You can put up the blue lights and pull over these bar-stewards. How great is that? You also get to be an expert in that special polite deep sarcasm. Do they have courses on that?

Clarite

4WD drivers in this area as well as white van drivers are a menace, the roads are narrow and few gaps to wait into while the road clears but these guys just drive on without a care for others.
I totally agree with FedUpDefensiveDriver, impatient drivers overtake after much hooting and then inevitably get stopped by the traffic light or even more incredible will just park in the next 100 yards. I tend to slow down rather than go faster if someone tries to hurry me over the speed limit, my view is that if they wanted to be before me they should have gotten up earlier, :)!

Congo

Motoring stereotypes from the past:

Fords are driven by salesmen
German cars are driven by successful salesmen

Austins are driven by the poor
Japanese cars are driven by the elderly poor

French cars are driven by the chic (or pretentious)
Volvos are driven by antique dealers (or middle class mummies)

Saabs are driven by architects and advertising men
Vauxhalls are driven by tradesmen and market traders

Sports cars are driven by lusty young men
Minis are driven by lusty young women

Bentleys are owned (but rarely driven beyond 30mph) by ageing military men
Rolls Royces are owned (but rarely driven at all) by ageing nouveau riche men

Rovers are driven by accountants and bank managers
Jags are driven by cads and bounders

But Gentlemen Sir, drive Astons.

LA

BMWs, Mercs and Audis up your @rse on the outside lane of the motorway. You're overtaking a car in the middle lane, but still not doing it fast enough for those impatient bar stewards. They have to flash their headlights don't they because they just can't wait any longer. Me, I just slow down, gradually and painfully, then when I see fit move back in behind the car I was going to overtake if the impatient retard had allowed me to in the first place.

Robert

I am convinced that Geman cars spoodo's are calibrated wrong, surley every German car owner is not a total @rsehole, the asians in bradford all drive them & now we have an Indian Jag, I am about to give up. White van man is an @rsehole, Nissan Micra I have no complaints.

Stavanger9

I agree with almost everyone's comments here. And what about those self-centred idiots who race around at breakneck speeds in small cars, in residential areas and city centres, with exhaust pipes like sewers, belching out an infernal racket. I can't think that anyone besides the driver would welcome this invasion of their ear drums. One has just passed my house as I write this - I could hear it half a mile away. Why does the law allow this nuisance? Surely it is anti-social, worthy of an ASBO?

grumpyoldwoman

MikeP; the grumpyoldman and I both drive tatty Citroen Xantias if you please! They are cheap to buy and his gets used as a builder's van. He buys an old one, runs it till it drops, then keeps any useful bits and gets another. He does most of the basic repairs on both of them.

Mine is a better one but doesn't do many miles; it was a bit scratched and scraped when I bought it which is ideal for me as I drive through lanes quite a bit. I need to be able to stuff my car in the hedge when I meet someone in a posh 4x4 which they don't want to get any closer to the hedge than about a foot!

MikeP

The most inconsiderate, pigheaded, stupid, arrogant drivers are females in Renault Clitos. The 'hotter' the Clito, that is to say the more badges, trim, and exhaust pipes it has, the more this applies. Males in the same vehicles are a very close second. After that, anyone who drives a French car can be assumed mentally deficient, devoid of judgement and mechanical knowledge, and men in both the monetary and spiritual sense. In short, an oxygen thief.

BMW drivers come a pretty close second, even if they are fine machines, the type of person who drives them demeans the marque.

I could go on but have better things to do having insulted about 30% of all motorists in these few paragraphs. Not a bad start to the day!

The Sainsbury Boy

There are many large and luxury vehicle drivers that are decent drivers. I have come across some courteous drivers which don't let the power or status of their vehicle go to their heads but unfortunately these vehicles also attract the ones that like to impress under false pretences because they aren't really much in life on their own and it shows in their driving.

As a result of this repeated attitude against other motorists it creates a bad impression.

I drive 500 miles a week and witness such a variety there is no way that the vehicle determines what the driver is like - it is how the vehicle is being driven and how the driver respects other motorists.

Treat other motorists as you would expect to be treated and don't expect others to get of the way at your demand.

PageWithAView

Post 2003 Micra drivers are fine, the older style Micras are the OAP snail chariots. Audi is the new BMW (now too chavvy for the executive willy extension crowd). LHD foreign artics are worst as their blind spot is the size of a county (I wouldn't like to drive a RHD artic abroad though!) Drivers of white cars are unduly hesitant - give them a wide berth (especially if they have blue lights on top). Pink cars - obviously an accident waiting to happen. Luminous green/yellow cars - reasonable drivers who simply have no taste whatsoever.

Worst are the selfish idiots still driving with a mobile glued to their head - 4x4s and white van man most at fault. Also the Halfords teen specials - 1 litre Saxo or Corsa, driven by the baseball cap brigade - boys with learner's tunnel vision, a death wish and at least 4 teen passengers.

Agree on the driving test but what if you just get lucky and pass first time? Doesn't make you a good driver. If plod were driving their cars (rather than parked up with scameras) they might detect bad driving and penalise people before they kill someone. Going over an arbitrary speed limit (if it suits the road conditions and no, not in residential areas) is not dangerous in itself, doing 70 mph on the motorway in fog/torrential rain or standing water is.

Stopping distances for most 4x4s are measured like the turning circle of a supertanker rather than in feet. But so what if they take out the back half of your puny car, their armour will keep mummy and her own kids nice and safe. So that's alright then.

Mindy

How about the swerve over yellow lines people? where am I supposed to go? Or the friday saturday nite drunk highbeam A##H### "s . Get behind you with them on and in front of you. If I was a cop that is who I would pull over first. easy to spot unawawre or don't give a dam inconsiderate drivers.

FedUpDefensiveDriver

The worst drivers I've come across are the ones who insist on aggressively tailgating and honking their horn because I'm driving according to the legal speed limit. What do they expect me to do?, break the law just because they're in a rush?. What makes me laugh is that once these impatient and dangerous lunatics have overtaken or undertaken drivers who actually obey the law, they still have to stop at a red light (most of the time anyway), so their speeding makes little difference to their overall journey time. The most despicable speeders are the cretins who speed around in built up residential areas. Would they be able to stop on time if a child ran onto the road or street?. If they weren't so selfish, they'd think about their recklessness.