Another Royal Mail 'Sorry, we missed you' card

Over the last year or so I have become increasingly frustrated with our local postman.  I regularly take days off to receive deliveries which don't come and then miraculously I notice the 'Sorry, we missed you' card has been put through the letter box with no attempt whatsoever to deliver the parcel.  This has happened a few times and a few weeks ago I even saw the little cretin walking down the road putting the slips in houses, clearly making no attempt to make the delivery.

... doesn't have the time to ring the doorbell

He obviously doesn't have the time to ring the doorbell, yet somehow always has the time to knock back a few drinks at the the local pub.  On more than one occasion I've seen him sitting at the bar so intoxicated he can barely speak.  I've even seen him get up and go to the toilet whilst leaving a back containing letters and packages on the floor.  As far as the postal service goes seeing this kind of thing happening doesn't exactly instill much faith.

Postage stamps, Sorry we missed you I have another gripe with Royal Mail regarding parcels.  I regularly have items delivered via 24 hour express post.  The parcels don't turn up on the due date of arrival, so I pop into the local post office the following day and after a bit of hassle finally get the parcel.  Then low and behold, later that day the 'Sorry, we missed you' card appears out of nowhere.  This is not an isolated incident and I do wonder if something underhanded is going on.  Perhaps someone thinks that I won't go and pick up the parcel so they can just help themselves to its contents - who knows?  I cannot think of any other reason why the card would appear after I've picked the parcel up.  Maybe I'm just cynical!

I have noticed increasingly poor levels of Service from Royal Mail recently and have lodged complaints via the website, all of which seem to fall on deaf ears as I never get a response.  I don't really see what option I have left really.  If I confront the postman about this, do you think the chances of me getting my parcels on time would improve?  I think not.

By: Steve L

delboy

Yep they are all at it nowadays. Yesterday waited in all day for 2 packets that should have arrived. I live in a flat with a post room, these parcels would not have fitted in the post box. However later in the day I went to see if I had any normal letters, yes there were, and 2 `Sorry we missed you`
notes in the box, timed one at 9.15 and the other at 12.15 !! SO they delivered 2 notes but no packets. Even worse both notes said to pick the packets up THE NEXT DAY !!!

One of these packets cost me £3.00 postage. I think this is an attempt tp get everyone to go to `signed for next day delivery` with a much higher cost.
22nd Sep 15 08:09

BIG UP THE POSTIES

As a postmen myself it makes no sense, our aim is to get rid of our packets, the more we get rid of the less we have to carry and the less work we have to in the depot and to be honest more often than not it's the customers who fail to even hear the door bell or the chap on the door, i'll get asked why i didnt ring the bell or chap the door, when i knew for a fact i did, why take time off work for a packet that you obviously think the postmen isn't going to attempt to deliver which is obviously a lie as we have no reason not to attempt delivery, as for that rubbish about not bringing parcels out is utter crap we have to deliver mail or our weekly delivery performance goes done which results in job losses. Last of all our office is a small office, the staff that work in the office finish at 1 and the postman don't get back to the office till half 1 at the earliest so no one is able to access the area where the packets are kept, the postmen should possibly be clearer on the card saying that the packet will be available for collection the next day and not 24 hours, apart from that minor detail the rest of what i have read is utter crap

Royal Mail = Rip Off

Royal Mail - a completely useless service. What's the point of the "Signed For" service if the delivering postman doesn't even bother to get your signature and just dumps the mail packet in the collective postbox in our block?

The managers of the Royal Mail are useless as they should be quality checking this service regularly They should all be sacked.

This is rip-off as the sender has paid extra for this service.
21st Nov 13 02:11

Iwantmyparcel

Its not that they cant be bothered ringing the bell its that they don't even take the parcels that are too big for a mailbox with them. If you catch them at the door they'll phone up and a driver will deliver it, if you don't catch them you'll have to trek to the sorting office the next day. Why it takes 24hrs to get a parcel ready for collection I don't know. Shambles.

Peter

They're just fookin useless and expensive. Same old same old. And this is true for most other public services also.

Soraking007

usually my postman is really good and its always the same postman and they always ring the bell and knock but im currently waiting on 2 separate items supposed to be dispatched on the 2nd as it could be delivered on bank holiday monday and here i am 2 days later wondering if the idiots have lost it or just cant be bothered. the stories here arent encouraging and will make sure our postman nos if he does something like that he'll be fired within the week.

Wez

No surprise at all. I heard someone dropped something through the letter box and I found it was a note about the delivery. I rushed out and luckily I just saw the van about to leave. The man obviously just prepared the note in the van and cannot be bothered to knock the door and wait.

Gordon BrownArse

Just had the dreaded "something for you" card through the door, third time in about 6 weeks , every time we were home and no attempt to ring the bell. This morning's one was at 7;30, it must be a policy of the managers to do this otherwise the postmen would surely be getting reprimanded all the time and sacked eventually.The public need to be told if this IS a deliberate policy because it really stinks!!

nicky

my postman came to my front door waited a second then went back to van, did not ring bell then takes my parcels to a neighbour, don't ask me which one as no card left , I am unable to get hold of my neighbour as gone away. this has taken me two weeks to find this information out. As one was tracked and says been delivered. lucky I have cctv so have evidence no parcels delivered to me. all customer services tell you is go to sorting office and check with them. royal mail are rubbish.

Willsmum

How about when they cant even be bothered to put a red card through. Last week I had to make a trip to our local sorting office to see what was holding up my mail. I was waiting for 6 small packages for my business. The member of staff went out the back to look for them and came back with 5 of them tied together with an elastic band. The postman had written that he had been unable to get them through the letter box and so had left a red card. Firstly he had not left any such card and secondly each parcel was no wider than 2cm each. But this postie did not have the nonce to take the elastic band off of them and post them individually!!! The member of staff said to me that in her 20 years of service she had not seen anything so ridiculous. And she actually let me have them without producing a red card. Yesterday I went back again to the sorting office to see if parcel number 6 had turned up. After searching everywhere they found it. Again there was a note on it saying another red card had been put through our door. Again this was a blatant lie - no card whatsoever had been put through our door. But this time they would not let me have my mail (even with id) because I could not produce a red card. What the hell could I do. I had to wait for today to get my parcel delivered - luckily it did get here but two weeks late and I would not have been surprised if we had had to go through the same rigmarole all over again. Cheeeeez.

A

Best thing to do is make a police enquiry, postman stealing post,and as for leaving post out in the open unattended thats mis conduct, one photo and a police enquiry and vaa la u got then runing around like dogs

shreks_fiona

postmen these days are terrible! my front door opens into my living room and since i am always home as i work here, i dont get how they can say they have knocked and i wasnt home when the settee is within touching distance of the door and i would most defiantley know. the amount of times i have opened the door as they are leaving my gate and asked where parcel is, to be told they dont have it is unbelievable. why say i'm not in when i am? why not just say, cant be bothered to deliver it, pick it up tomorrow!!! the best one was i had a card saying the item was to big for letter box, went to collect it, and it was a phone case, in a tiny little brown envelope! yet i have known them to push clothes through it. somethings definately slacking with RM these days

Ragged Off

Just had the dreaded red card through my letter box. Sorry we missed you at 10:00am. Card found on door mat at 10:20am. Car parked on drive. 2 people in house. No door bell rung. The postman just seems to not care and just wants to do his round as quick as possible. This happens on a regular basis and just goes to show that the once great Royal Mail service is now a shadow of it's former self. I've spent more time at the local delivery office than some of the postmen, last week they even lost a recorded delivery package which they must of had because I'd had the Red card again, I was told they'd contact me when they found the package, the next day yet another Red card for a different package so after 24 hours I go to the local delivery office for the latest package and then spot the lost package sat on a table behind the counter. We may as well all have PO boxes. Delivery is just a waste of time. Junk mail gets delivered but everything else you have to go and collect. Royal Mail are about as much use as a chocolate radiator. If we had the option not to use them I think I'd opt out and look for a service that could deliver on it's promises.

Max

I had a card put through my door this morning 'Something for you' when I was actually home and did not hear a knock on my door. I ran to the door and the postman had vanished in the thin air. I live in a block of flat with a lift which is 20 steps away from my door. The interesting thing I noticed is that card is dated yesterday afternoon. Lets accept that the date and time is correct. I was having work done in the flat and the carpenter brought me my post lol. How can I be not home when there is work going on in my flat. This is not an uncommon practise by the postmen in Glasgow from what I have heard from friends. To find how to complaint on royalmail's website is not an easy job. Once you have complaint via online form, they will respond in 3 working days.

The reason why he didn't bother to bring me my package to the door is that it is a microwave which he will need to carry to the main entrance, come up on the lift and walk 20 steps to my front door. I have requested a redelivery. I am not gonna let this one go. I am expecting this incident to be investigated and I will make sure they know who they are dealing with, should the result is not to my satisfaction.

Francisco

Well today I came home to find the worse royal mail service in history - my package from amazon which fits through the door was actually left in an unlocked, shared garden.
On top of that, the paper note is a stupid tag looking like a paper tag which one would attach to an object being sold in a garage sale - literally a piece of paper!!
The package was found to have been opened and thrown on the floor - contents stolen.
All this for a package which would fit through the door.
I ask myself if it is illegal and a crime to be stupid beyond comprehension - if it would be, then royal mail is placing their customers trust in the hands of criminals. And now if you will excuse me, I have some screaming to do on the phone.

Freddie

You wouldn't have the initials KH by any chance would you?

vintage lady

I have received shoddy service as I run a small jewellery website business and the last few weeks two items have gone missing,one in the uk which I posted recorded delivery and the other usa sent airmail.As these were not very high value items I could not put the cost of signed for special delivery onto the customer as they will not pay it on a small item.Compensation? that is a laugh as they do not compensate for jewellery even under recorded delivery.So I have had to refund the money to the customers and put up with two items of stock without payment.We have now lost our local post office,so it is a trek to the town about a 30 minute walk and then the queue is always so long on average I am ther for 20-30mins as there are only ever 3/4 servers on the counters although there are 14 positions!! What can I do??

Kate

I too get a mixture. If the postman has a brain, he leaves the parcel round the back undercover (this is good). If he doesn't have a brain he leaves it out the front in the rain or cunningly concealed in a recycling box where it can take a week to find it. The ones I really hate are the ones who don't ring the bell, but just card you, which has increased in frequency. Our local sorting office is 15 miles away, so I get it redelivered to the Post Office where I pay an eyewatering 1.50 per item to retrieve MY property several days late - how the Royal Mail aren't making a big fat profit I cannot understand.
DHL are just as bad.

don

I think in this instance you are legally entitled to tear him a new @rse!

GUTTED

Well here's a completely different complaint about Royal Mail & our local postie! We have a load of Halloween decorations from America, to include a clear plastic sheet that hangs over our front door with the words "Keep Out!" painted on it which is supposed to look like blood. hehe! Because it's American it does not have a hole for the British Mail boxes so the mailbox is obstructed. Well our usual postie was cool with it and agreed to knock just for this week leading up to Halloween and Im usually right there anyway and see him coming. However...we had a different guy today who decided to just tear our decoration up and shove the mail through!!! LOL! Completely destroyed our property and when I chased after him he told me he was LEGALLY required to deliver our mail. I wonder if he is LEGALLY required to destroy our personal property to deliver the mail though? If our mailbox was obstructed from the inside, would he bash our door down to deliver I wonder??? Argh! There always has to be some miserable git to dampen the fun huh? Absolute idiot! And the trick or treaters arent even due til next week. I have filed a complaint anyways....just venting as am still fuming. ;o)

Chloe

UGH Just having the worst time ever with Royal Mail! Was waiting on a parcel on Friday, checked downstairs at 11am. No sign. Check again at 12 and the infamous "Sorry we missed you card" was sitting through my letterbox. I wouldn't have made myself available that morning if you weren't going to buzz my flat! I'm not psychic!
Angrily complained to RM who assured me I wouldn't have to wait a further 48 hours and they would make sure it is at my Delivery Office on Saturday, details of the address and opening hours on the card. Brilliant. Arrive at the D.O. and its closed. Opening hours on the back of the card completely incorrect. An afternoon walking there and back (its quite a trek!) wasted. Not even a way to find out the hours on the website so the card was all I had to go by. Another irate complaint due tomorrow I think! Their customer service is a shambles.

legal beagle

I am so glad I came across this website. I have had this problem twice (where I am home the entire day and never hear the buzzer but somehow a 'Sorry we missed you card' appears in my letter box). I've even been told off when I pick up my parcel from the main office that I wasn't there when I rescheduled my delivery online. Luckily, I know I was there the entire day -- I write and record EVERYTHING in my planner.

Is there no accountability for the postal service? I know isn't the case with every postal employee but it seems to be happening enough to cause real issue. Like any business, you pay for a service and if that service fails on a very explicit part (eg. specific delivery of the goods), then there should be legal consequences. Unfortunately, I don't think complaining works. I think I may start looking into this a little closer. It's clearly beyond poor customer service.

Bob

Had this problem aswell now I won't go to collect it myself I have them redeliver it I paid for delivery so that's what I want.

maddog

Had similar issues with the RM. "you weren't in cards" when I was in (work from home). Twice I've caught the postie walking up the path to the house with a "you weren't in card" in his hand and when I asked for the parcel I was told that "it wasn't on the van". It's really does take the proverbial.

A new trick that the postie has learnt is for the him/her to sign for the parcel his/herself and leave the Item in the garden or on the door step. Not great if it rains.

chunk

royal mail dont do 24hour express post.if you used their similar service you would know its called
recorded special delivery before 1.00pm.

you have seen your postman drunk drinking whilst working?

why would a postman deliver a card inviting you to pick up a packet he doesnt have.
if the cretins intend to steal the contents better that they dont red card you surly?

Brad

Had the exact same thing happen to me today. Never chapped the door but heard the mail come through so assumed the parcel wasn't coming since delivery time was 3-5 days, go to the door to find the infamous "Sorry, we missed you" slip now I will have to go collect it because he is too lazy to do his bloody job!

Cynical Boblet

Eclipse. Paula Vennels? that sounds like a woman. Women love attention, lots of emails would pander to her vanity, Dido at Talk Talk preens herself in front of her thousands of critics. Ignoring the pair of them would be far more potent

Eclipse_a

Just had the same thing happen. Card but no parcel so I made my usual special delivery to paula.vennells@royalmail.com. She is the MD and, I am sure, would love to get an e-mail whenever it happens to you.

Becky

I, also, am at the end of my teather with RM. I ordered a sat nav and it was cellotaped to the door handle in full view of the main road when we had gone on holiday! Thankfully my neighbour spotted it and took it in for me (he took a photo of it so I could use as evidence when I complained) that postman is no longer working for RM. I also had an order delivered from my HO. This was sent four times and it never got to me. the last 2 times they were sent recorded delivery, one of them had a fake signature and the last was 'damaged' in the post. It was eventually delivered to my parents house. My son's birthday present came in tatters with most of the contents missing including the cheque! I have spoken to the postman several times who is lovely and does everything he can to help, in his defence the problem is not lying with him. He is really good at leaving parcels with our neighbour (we have an agreement with us all) or, if my neighbour is out, he is good at leaving a card and getting things back to the depot on time. When I have had bigger items delivered by a van (different postman) I have had problems where we are not left cards or we are told we can collect in 24/48 hours and they are never there when we go. It's not as if you really have any other option but to use Royal Mail!!!!!

miserablemoaninggit

Yes, the Royal Mail certainly seems to be declining in the quality of service it provides. At one time, I used to be fully confident in using them to post letters and parcels, and confident that I would receive letters and parcels that were expected. No longer! They have lost their excellent reputation and are providing fertile ground for other competitors to provide a much better service. Having said that, DHL seem little better in my experience - generally a shoddy service which usually results in me driving around some industrial estate trying to find their depot to collect a parcel. Twice recently I've arrived as instructed to find the parcel was not there; in one case, it had travelled up to Carlisle - nearly 2 hundred miles away! In the meantime, no doubt, the chairman of Royal Mail and DHL will get their fat, greasy palms on a massive bonus!

Sam

Last Thursday I waited in all day for the postman, He eventually arrived on my street at 3pm. I watched him from my second floor window and he came up to the my front door. But alas my parcel had not arrived, only a letter for the flat above me. At 7pm I went out as I was shutting the front door I noticed my parcel had been left on the step outside the property and in full view of the street. He had not rung any bells to attempt to post it just left my £60 Chanel perfume on the doorstep. How lucky was I that it was not stolen. The royal mail are an absolute DISGRACE.
I attempted to call the delivery office manager as I had the number after a previous parcel a 1st edition book had been left on the step. Bearing in mind that there are 4managers at this office I rang on and off for 3hours But they picked up the phone put it back down or it just went on to engaged The managers cant be bothered to answer the phone, the postmen cant be bothered to deliver the mail. No one is accountable they couldnt give a damn.

silver

I agree we need to do more than just wineing about this parcel problem, they don't ring bell's they fold post and they turn up at different times. what happened to there dedication to there work?
why do they no longer care about there job and taking it out on use...?

bling bling

I hate postmen I waited 1 week for my parcel and it was in stock!!! guess what he bloody skipsme :@

N

I had a similar issue with lots of sorry you where out cards. I complained to customer services who told me that the postman did not have to ring the bell and was only supposed to knock the door. I asked why he cannot ring if the bell is next to the door they said it was beyond his duty but they kindly ask him to go out of his way and ring the bell in future. What a joke I am taking it further…

NICK

I had a note put through my door saying the had tried to deliver a packet lies waited in all day when I went to pick it up the excuse was health and safety the packet was too heavy so picked it up with one hand and walked out.On another occasion had to go and pick up a letter because it had no stamp on it went to post office and the posty was just going to the other end of the building 500 yds to pick another customers letter up so I asked him to get mine as well "cant do that it is against rules"SO IS WORKING HARD MATE lazy idle untidy dirty unclean shirkers

Vix

DHL parcel delivery. That's right, another drive by. I heard beeping behind me, turned round and out the window saw a DHL van. "oh good" I though, the parcel is being delivered....

Or not....

Ten seconds later the van started up and vanished before I could catch it. I live in a flat, and had to go out to the main door (not the flat door) to find the "sorry we missed you" card. Not a buzz, not a knock, nothing.

What's worse is that even though I phoned up the phone number immediately, they could not redeliver till the next day as "they are not in contact with their drivers". Because the mobile phone hasn't been invented yet...

Another day wasted.
3rd Dec 10 06:12

Matt

I work from home and have an a4 sized sign on the front door asking for parcels to be brought to the back as I work right by the back door . Last week I ordered items from 5 companies all placed Thursday . 2 of the 5 firms sent via Royal Mail 1st class parcels . Its now Wednesday the following week . The three firms that sent via couriers got the items to me Monday at the latest . I'm still sat here waiting for the ones sent by Royal Mail . I ordered more items yesterday and they were delivered this morning by courier . What in blue blazes is RM upto? Are my parcels being used as pillows in the delivery office or what? . Its now 3:30pm and if they dont turn up then tomorrow morning I will be down to the delivery office to find out whats going on . I tried ringing the office this morning for 2 hours and not once did they pick up the phone . Absolutely pathetic service .

Domi

Two of us working from home in a flat with a VERY loud buzzer (it's woken us both in the dead of night before) - funny how we never seem to hear it when the postman's left a slip in the mail box, isn't it? :p

I am about to complain to RM - the first time he never rang the bell at all, just left the slip, the second he rang, couldn't open the door when we buzzed him in so we said wait and we'd be down in a sec (we're only on the first floor of a small block) and he turned and left.

It's especially frustrating as not only are we not getting the service we're paying for, our local depot is inaccesable by public transport from our flat, and being in London we don't have a car, so have am hour's round trip on foot.

grumpyoldwoman

We've just had a letter returned in a Royal Mail returns envelope, which they apparently could not deliver, and the postman has written on the outside "not known at this address". Royal Mail opened it to find our address to return it to us.

There is just one small problem; the person it was sent to is someone we know well, both her name and CORRECT address are printed clearly on the original envelope and she never saw the letter.

Fortunately the cheque inside was returned intact, I had stopped it when we realised it hadn't arrived. Maybe I stopped it just in time!

I will be contacting Royal Mail and asking for an explanation.

Keiffer's Cases

I have a small online business in the US that frequently ships to the UK. Packages shipped to Australia, Spain, South Africa all manage to get there in a week or 2 at the most That USED to be the case in the UK. The last 3 packages sent to the uk over 3 weeks ago still have not arrived, and I am getting the run around as to where they are. I can track it up until it entered the UK, where they magically vanish without a trace. Unfortunately, I will no longer be able ship to the UK, as the UK seems unable to deliver them.

alice

I can see where you're coming from about the postie being lazy, but then not everyone goes to pick their parcel up, so in this sense, surely the postie would be making more work for themselves. Yours does sound a nightmare though if he's in the pub with the post. I'd make an official complaint to your local office.

Anyway. since I haven't got a car any more, I always arrange a redelivery and make sure I'm in. I can't believe the fee for it to be redelivered to a Post Office has risen from 50p to £1.50 though!

Fedup

Parcel Force once left a parcel on my doorstep while I was out and had the cheek to sign my name on the widget!

Asked for two redeliveries from Royal Mail and ofc still waiting. Parcels go missing or are bashed even though they are clearly marked 'fragile' and 'this way up'. They just don't seem to care about providing a service.

eliza

Same thing here....had two "sorry, you were out" cards on the same week! when I havent been out:(

Alison

I once chased the postman after he posted a "Sorry we missed you" card through my door, only to discover that he didn't have the parcel with him! They just can't be bothered lugging around all the packages so make you go and pick them up!

C

Our postman does it all of the time! The majority of the time we get all of our post, letters and everything not just parcels, days later and he just writes 'dogs loose' on them even though we keep the dogs inside on a morning just for him.
He doesnt even come some days, like today when I am waiting of a parcel yet again.
31st Jul 10 12:07

Vix

It is not just Royal Mail, I have jsut had exactly the same problem with DHL.
I had to watch the lazy c**t drive away!

Murray

Standards have slipped at the Royal Mail. They've got a culture there that encourages such laziness and ineptitude. The Royal Mail needs reform from top to bottom in order to make it a more efficient company. It needs reform, and here's me hoping that the sooner that happens the better.

Raviel

@Rebekkah

I have had a smilar experience with Parcel Force I ordered some new components for my PC from novatech for next day pre-12 delivery. I was up at 7am and checked the tracking status at 8 finding the van was out on it's round. It was 4 hours later, just before 12, and I had heard nothing and received no card so I checked the tracking status again to find the van had retuned to the depot and failed to deliver the package. Later that evening I checked the tracking again and found it was awaiting collection at the post office around the corner. I can tell you I had a lot of fun trying to get them to give me my package without a failed delivery card to show them.

Rebekkah

A horrible trend that has sprung up during the last few years involves ParcelForce employees "taking the easy way out" by not doing their job.
This is particularly true, I find, if the package they would be toting weighs in excess of 2 or 3 pounds and have to walk up a flight of stairs. They will pull up to the house, sit long enough to fill out a note, and stick the note on a door WITHOUT making an attempt to try the doorbell or knock on the door. They are, however, being PAID to attempt a delivery. Then, they will drive to the nearest post office and deposit said item. When the Parcelforce tracking says an item is out for delivery, sometimes people stay home all day waiting. They do this not only to receive their item, but to assist the driver in making a first-time successful delivery. And when the driver lazily fails to do his job, it frustrates everyone. Who is going to call these work-allergic drivers to account and when?

abab2323

These should be called frisbee cards as they are written out and thrown in the letterbox so speedily...ha

Josh

Australia Post is no better. We were waiting for an important letter,which was sent through registered post, when we found a "You Have Mail" card in my mailbox. I was home all day, there was no knock at the door and the gate didn't open. This occurs regularly.

alice trout

Exactly the same has happened to me, even this morning, I was standing in my lounge, just next to the front door porch and the postman put a card through my door when I found him still delivering in the Close I asked him why he had not rung my bell - he said he had!!! What a lie that was - I may be getting on in years but I am not deaf.Postmen are such a lazy lot, they spend ages having tea with their friends etc and are too stupid to realise that if their bike is propped up against the kerb, they are around soewhere.

Kat

I'm trying to figure out myself how to get my postman to stop being a lazy sod. He does deliver the parcels but if no one answers the door then he has his new habit which has been going on since just before christmas...to literally throw the parcels over my back fence. I know he is throwing them over the fence as he didn't bother to knock on the door one day and I happened to be in the kitchen and saw it come flying into the garden, ironic that there was a football in the box he threw the day I caught him in the act. As the parcels are in the garden I still find them when I get home from work but in that time they could have been stolen, luckily nothing has been smashed via his new delivery method but today really topped it off. A parcel containing £50 worth of books was thrown into the garden and guess what...it poured down with rain! Luckily the person who sold me the books is going to give me a refund but that wasn't the point! I wanted that item and its a flipping joke that postmen are allowed to get away with it.

James

Some of them are the most idiotic when it comes to delivering mail, the reason being I have had letters now and again delivered showing a different number on the letter the number 3 and the door does have a big number 5 on it, yes the surname is the same as mines but yet they don't bother to compare the number first.

And before you ask, no I'm not related to the person that has the same surname as myself.

HOLLYEMJ

Hello, Steve. I think you're totally correct in what you're saying, and I ahve exactly the same problem. The lazy bums. Get your bum into gear postman and deliver my DAMN PARCEL BIATCH!!!!!!

gaaaaaaaaaah

I sent a parcel full of sweets to a friend before Christmas. It was sent to her RETIRED grandparents house, and there was never any attempt to deliver it. Nor could they at any point tell me where it was..until lo and behold it dropped onto MY doorstep six weeks after I'd posted it!

And yet again, today, I get an 'I'm sorry we missed you' through the door...despite the fact that I was sat within ten feet of the door. It's now at the point where the postie sneaks up my path, with the Sorry I've Missed You note ALREADY WRITTEN and in his hands, sticks it through the doorway, and sods off. They NEVER ring the bell and I only get anything that isn't a letter if by sheer luck see I them coming out of the window and run after them!

Angry At My PostMan

Postmen can be idiots, I was expecting a game to be delivered in the morning, just before I left for college, I saw him walking to my door with the game, instead of dropping it through the post box, he just left it outside (yes it fits through the post box :P) then he walks out of my garden, just as I'm about to open the door and collect my game, he comes back, snatches the game, drops some other mail through the post box and leaves, shocked that he did this, I put on my shoes, ran after him and told him that I'm quite certain that the game he had was supposed to be for me, he told me "No it's for 1A" (Mines 1) Again, since I was certain it was for me, I said are you sure, I was expecting that today, he said "sorry mate it wasn't for you" he had already delivered it to my neighbors while I was putting on my shoes, other wise I would of got him to check the address, so when I got back from college, My Mum told me that my neighbor had dropped by to give me my game and it wasn't just that, while I was on holiday, he left 3 big packages out on the patio, where everyone can see them, I assume they had been there for maybe a week, I'm stunned at the things they do.

kristi

not only does my postman not even bother knocking or ringing the bell when I have a parcel or certified letter, but then I put mail to be sent out, he doesn't pick it up! I have been outside and watched him pass my raised flag up on my mail box and deliver mail to the next one beside it, not even 6 inches away! also, when I have parcels delivered, he throws fragile boxes down upside down on the concrete. this is his job, to deliver our mail and packages to us, and in good condition. why should I have to suffer because he doesn't "feel" like doing his job right?
23rd Nov 09 10:11

living in the real world

you need to get a life you are sad person with too much time on your hands grow up

whatajoke

god its just not me then.....!!!
i order things of ebay a lot and over the past 6 months its like there just not trying at all to get our post to us..
i dont even bother getting first class delivery anymore as its takes just as long anyway
miggy..thats happend to me twice now I had my letters delivered wait to hear the sound and there is no card or knock then I come back and it appers like magic out of thin air in a matter of mins.
they should replace "sorry we missed you"with"sorry we cant be botherd"
mayby just mayby if they actually did there job mayby more people would give a monkeys fart
about there strike!!!

imma

postman he dont know my house Ha Ha...he put all the letters for whole home in the first floor leaving it up to anyone... he dont care at all
is very poor service
3rd Jul 09 04:07

Tim

i've had the same thin g 2 days on the run now. It's a good job that I know how to complain and how to get my way in situations like this. The sorting office won't know what hit them when I collect later
2nd Jul 09 11:07

Frannie

You get to the stage and say what the heck. Maybe the post men would like us all to go and pick all our mail up? Save them doing the job! Then alas were would they be without a job. Lazy!!!!!!

viks

Where as my postman just dosent turn up, ill be expecting 5/6 parcels in a week and after 5 days of nothing I get a sorry we missed u card with 1 parcel to collected I arrive there and all 5 are there which they obviously just hoarded untill I came to them!!

ribena

our postman is putting letters through every second house leaving it up to the neighbours to do his job

MikeP

I had this a few days ago. The parcel delivery contractor didn't wait the nanosecond it would have taken to ring the bell and see if there was an answer There were only two cars and a bike in the driveway so I suppose it was a reasonable assumption that nobody was home.

When I called them after finding the slip in the box, I was told that they have 'a procedures manual' which they have to follow (note that by making people follow 'procedures' you deprive them of the right to use common sense) and that they have to wait a minimum of 60 seconds after ringing the bell. Apparently, when I questioned this, I was told that nowhere does it say that they actually have to ring the bell, which proves my previous point.

After some discussion with a 'manager' I ended up securing a contract for one of my clients to rewrite their procedures manual ..... and I got my parcel delivered!

Miggy

Got one of these 'sorry, we missed you' cards a couple of weeks ago when I was actually working at home for the day. I'd gone to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and when I came back there was the card on the doorstep.

I can normally hear people ring the bell so in this case I don't think the postman even bothered. I live on a quiet estate and there was no car in the drive that day (wife took it), so this postie probably assumed no one was home.

It's very frustrating because it meant I had to take a special trip out to pick up the package (something she'd ordered. Flaming pair of shoes or something no doubt).

Hmm

I'm pretty sure my postman doesn't bother coming some days. It's aggrivating and depressing.

KC

I received one recently as I was waiting for my new crash helmet to arrive. I called into the local Post Office after work to collect it but it wasn't there. I'm still waiting for it, been three days now. How can you misplace a boxed crash helmet?

Rumaysah

This has been happening to me for over a year now. I wait for the postman to arrive, and as soon as I go the back of the house, the postman leaves a note to say he came. why can't he use the doorbell? I now always pick up my parcels from the local Royal Mail collection centre. Sometimes he knocks on the door so that nobody can really hear. I usually recieve items from ebay, but my postman makes it increasingly difficult for me to recieve anything.

VN

If it's a large parcel, they won't even bother attempting delivery - they'll just card you. It it looks too big for the letter box, they don't even bother trying, they dump it on your doorstep. If they do knock your door, assuming you can hear it and don't respond, they are off in a flash... and will card you the FOLLOWING day. Which means you have waited 48 hours and have to pick it up yourself. It's a total scam and rife. I've even arranged a redelivery at a local PO, the parcel was not there as arranged, then it was delivered to my home (as not arranged) the following day. Complete farce.

Star

Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning. Waited in all morning to receive it, and when went to letterbox at bottom of my flats found the card but was too late to get parcel as after 1pm. So annoying and not the first time it has happened. All because the postman quite literally doesn't pull his finger out.
21st Feb 09 05:02

cRYSIT

IM a postman and agree the service if getting worse and worse , the people to complain to are not Royal Mail as they will do nothing but try Postcomm the postal industry regulator cos so many complaints to them and they have the power to fine RM.

Barnzi

It's not just the Royal Mail that get up to these tricks. Since the privatisation of the mail system, other companies have also been getting in on the act of "Sorry, we missed you."

I rang one courier to find out where my parcel had gotten to be told that the driver had rung the intercom to my flat repeatedly. "That's funny," I said, "We don't have an intercom." Two days later the parcel was returned to the sender who then had a go at me for not being in to accept it. Fair?!?

telstar24

Nationalgrid -'Sorry We Missed You' - My digital gas meter needs to be replaced and I made an appointment for this through my supplier EDF Energy. I was up at 0730am on the day, but later on in the morning I found a note through my letter box from the Nationalgrid, the engineer had been at 0810. I rang the number on the card and what I got was -‘it’s nothing to do with us, the engineer came, you weren’t in, contact your supplier to arrange another appointment’.

I call EDF Energy to make another appointment, and asked whether they could advise the Nationalgrid that I have a hearing problem, and use a NHS hearing aid. I wanted to know whether the engineer could call my landline, which has a loud ringer in case I did not hear the bell or the knock, but was told this was not possible. I got an appointment for the 1st September, it had to be an all day appointment. At about 1100 on the 1st when I answer the door to DHL for a package and what do I see, my 'Sorry We Missed You' from the Nationalgrid, the engineer had been at 0930!

I wonder whether the Nationalgrid engineer sends someone to deliver the cards while he enjoys a pint with the postman!

at & Jess (whistleblower

Why carry a load of parcels around the streets when they arrive at their depot when they can just write a load of cards out and make us do the donkey work. This rarely happened in Bristol but now I live in East Kilbride and it always happens.

OneOverRoyalMail I won

No gripe with Royal Mail, thanks to them I took Royal Mail to court and was awarded £500 by the courts, If they don't get a signature on your special delivery, and it must be a signature nothing else, you can get at least the cost of the S Delivery

How Fetching

Don't wait for deliveries. I always shop at sites which have an outlet at which I can fetch. If I do I always demand a discount for doing so.

The Post Office/Royal Mail/Other Delivery services are all run by scum. Or do I really mean run as a Scam?

Bagpuss

I have a mix of leaving a card without actually trying to deliver and leaving parcles, sometimes reigistered, on the step - often without seeing if anyone is at home.
31st Jul 08 02:07

Seth

I quite often miss parcel deliveries because I don't hear the postman knock. I've seen him, it's a quick tap as quiet as a mouse, scribble out the card and dump it in the letter box.

grumpyoldwoman

I was waiting for a parcel to come just before Christmas a couple of years ago and found a card through the door after going out. It had been left not at my local post office but the one in the next village. (I think the postman had already been to the one here and didn't want to go back so left it at the one he was going to next!)
When I called to ask for re-delivery they said that once a parcel has been left at a post office it cannot be taken back for re-delivery so I would have to collect it.
They also told me that the post office where it had been left was only a mile away but I checked the distance as I drove there and it was almost exactly 2 miles! Public transport would not have been feasible as it was a large box so if I had not had a car I don't know what would have happened.
I too complained but never got a reply.